Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JohnnyQ
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

One annoyingly long page or lots of annoying short ones?

Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:33 pm

When it comes to articles and reviews on the web you're usually stuck with either really long pages that take ages to load (think dansdata.com) or really short ones that make it impossible to grab the whole thing quickly and read it offline.

Admittedly I don't know all that much about webpage design, but isn't there some (easy) way of providing a choice? 'Click here for the one-page version' or something. (I know that ARS have .pdf versions of their content available to their members; which comes at a price...)

Presuming that it ISN'T a great expense of time and money to do: How about making those awesome, amazing, totally hey-shoo-wow reviews of yours available in a single-page version Damage?

JQ

murray
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:41 pm

I think another reason articles tend to be spread across more pages is that each page is another ad hit. Some sites seem to take this concept a bit further than they should, but I think T-R's page lengths are generally pretty nice.

MLO
Gerbil

Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:27 am

Maybe a sort of "printer friendly" type toggle that would switch it from multiple to one page.

I use iSilo for the m515 to grab pages I don't have time to read...that makes it somewhat helpful.

MLO

DancesWithLysol
Gerbil

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:55 pm

I think ExtremeTech does it right by having a "view entire article" option as well as paging.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:23 pm

For folks with broadband, the one massive page format is better.
The only advantages that I see for the many small pages approach is that some sites use this as a way of serving many more ads. If you are on a slow connection, you can skip over pages that you are not interested in more quickly (unless they have a lot of annoying slow-to-load banners).

rikki tikki tavi
Gerbil

Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:12 pm

i like the way TR is doing it just fine... :lol:

JohnnyQ
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:30 pm

rikki tikki tavi wrote:
i like the way TR is doing it just fine... :lol:

yeah, but you're in a state of denial... ;)