Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

I need a ringtone that will wake me up at night

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:52 am

On my iPhone there was plenty of loud and decently long ringtones to use for work alert pages. Now that I'm onto Android, all the included ringtones are fairly short and not obnoxious enough to wake me up. Anyone have any suggestions as to a ringtone to wake me up?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: I need a ringtone that will wake me up at night

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Corrado wrote:
On my iPhone there was plenty of loud and decently long ringtones to use for work alert pages. Now that I'm onto Android, all the included ringtones are fairly short and not obnoxious enough to wake me up. Anyone have any suggestions as to a ringtone to wake me up?

So it's just going to be used as notification for email? Don't want to suggest something entirely too obnoxious for everyday stuff.

http://www.free-ringtones.cc/ringtones/digirain/46612
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Corrado
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Well tis for SMS from a single particular sender. I have 2 profiles set up. On-Call has audible alerts from the sender after 5, not on-call silences them.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Crying baby. Evolution has ensured it is optimally obnoxious.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 pm

The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:49 pm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Crying baby. Evolution has ensured it is optimally obnoxious.

That's for sure, wakes me up even if it's not loud, damn you evolution.

Although the old fashion alarm clock (that sounds like a dot matrix) is pretty annoying.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:10 am

I have the Geico "ringa-dong" as my ringtone. Free on their website.

Corrado
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:14 am

I ended up with an air raid style siren. Works perfectly. Thanks for all the suggestions!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:31 am

How are you liking your new phone, regardless of the ringtone? I think you came from an iPhone, right? Anything you miss?

I'm currently using a Droid 1, plan to grab an iPhone next month or so, and was wondering what you thought since you've owned both devices. (And a pretty high end Android device at that)

Corrado
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:48 am

Heres my thoughts from the ipad competitor news post on the front page:

As someone that recently (2 weeks ago) jumped from an iPhone4 to a Nexus S, I wanted to put out there my thoughts on the comparison of iOS vs Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread.

Anyone who says one is better than the other one is full of crap. There are things Android does great and there are things that iOS does great. Neither one is clearly better at everything than the other, and both are competent.

Android is much more flexible in the customization department, however this comes at a stark stability disadvantage. I've had quite a few (4-5 in 2 weeks) hard locks, or instances where my home screens wouldn't load that required a battery pull. One night I got up to take the dog out, and glanced at my phone on the night stand. It was the screen was half lit up and garbled. I had to do a battery pull to get it to reboot properly. The phone was literally sitting at a locked home screen for at least a few hours before it did this, so it wasn't anything funky I was doing. Battery life is also less than desirable, but this is more of a phone thing than a platform thing.

However, the notifications are much better, I'm able to replace stock apps that provide the basic functionality of the phone with ones of my liking or needs.

On the other hand, iOS is more locked down, but the notifications system is god awful, there's no way to properly replace or remove included apps that you require more functionality from (SMS, e-mail), but in an un-jailbroken state, I've never had an app take down the entire OS.

In the end, both are great but both need a lot of work to be perfect.

I will say that I've since flashed from NSCollab 17 back to a 100% stock firmware on Monday, and my hardlock and reboot issues have gone away. My battery life has improved somewhat, but its still not nearly on par with my iPhone 4. My wife has had no complaints yet, and I had to pry her iPhone 3GS out of hands. If I had the choice of getting T-Mobile pricing and keeping my iPhone, I would have. The iPhone 4, other than the notifications issues, really did everything I could think of that I wanted a phone to do. AT&T ruined it for me. Verizon pricing is no better. Same features, with more minutes, going to T-Mobile is $115 a month after taxes for 2. On AT&T it was $187. Saving $70 a month is no joke.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:50 am

I have an R2-D2 ring-tone that is distinctive and penetrating... and it screams "Droid", metaphorically.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

Corrado
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 am

Also, another kind of BIG problem I've found with android is that it doesn't control audio streams. If I have something playing on the default music app, and move to the MLB app to listen to the game, it doesn't stop the music app before starting the radio portion of the MLB app. They just play over each other. On iOS only 1 app, other than notifications, can play at any given time, and it will gracefully stop the currently backgrounded audio stream to start playing the new one.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm

How does the MLB app compare to the one on the iPhone otherwise?
Corrado wrote:
AT&T ruined it for me. Verizon pricing is no better. Same features, with more minutes, going to T-Mobile is $115 a month after taxes for 2. On AT&T it was $187. Saving $70 a month is no joke.
This is why I think the proposed AT&T - T-mobile merger will be a major negative for consumers. I was an AT&T customer for a long time (going back to the analog days) and switching to T-Mobile gave me more/better service at a much lower cost. If the merger gets approved, that's clearly not going to continue and I'm going to have to look for a new provider again (from a much-reduced field of candidates)

Corrado
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:05 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
How does the MLB app compare to the one on the iPhone otherwise?
Corrado wrote:
AT&T ruined it for me. Verizon pricing is no better. Same features, with more minutes, going to T-Mobile is $115 a month after taxes for 2. On AT&T it was $187. Saving $70 a month is no joke.
This is why I think the proposed AT&T - T-mobile merger will be a major negative for consumers. I was an AT&T customer for a long time (going back to the analog days) and switching to T-Mobile gave me more/better service at a much lower cost. If the merger gets approved, that's clearly not going to continue and I'm going to have to look for a new provider again (from a much-reduced field of candidates)

Yeah i have NO issue with AT&T server, or anything EXCEPT the price. Coverage was great for me, speeds were great, CS was great. I figured by the time anything happens with ATT/T-Mobile, maybe it will be feasible to goto Virgin Mobile or something and pay much less. If Virgin had unsuck phones, I would have gone with them. $80 a month for everything I'd need.

As far as the MLB app, the video quality isn't nearly as good, but other than that its more or less the same. The issue is with the iPhone the video is piped in natively, on Android is played through the website with flash steaming. The iPhone compensates much better for good vs bad quality connection, the android looks like it has no anti-aliasing done to it, etc. Overall, I'm 'satisfied' with it, but the iOS one is better for the video reason alone. However, being that I can get MLB.tv, and install a fake GPS location without having to jailbreak and still be able to watch my Phils dominate the NL this year, I'll take what I can get.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Corrado wrote:
STUFF

Thanks.

Few things I can't stand about Android:
- Scrolling, pinching, etc is just a crapshoot from what I have seen. Even with the most powerful hardware available on the platform (Tegra2 - currently) it's still not near as smooth as WP7 or iOS. So frustrating.
- Battery life is inferior to iOS no matter what Android phone I have seen. I realize there are solutions to my problem but I'd rather not carry around extra batteries or a travel charger for 1 day of use. (link)
- Memory usage. If my phone is on for a few days it bogs down pretty badly. Just scrolling through my aps (with LP) is laggy when we get to this point.

I don't know if you have noticed any of these issues other than battery life, but they're rather annoying when it's something you use constantly. Those being the main things I am frustrated with, I feel like iOS solves most of those for me.

Corrado
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Scrolling seems OK on my phone. The stock Gingrbread launcher is hardware accelerated on the Nexus S. Other launchers, GoLauncher, LauncherPro, etc are not accelerated. As far as memory is concerned, I haven't had many issues yet, but the Nexus S is a fairly high end phone, so maybe I just haven't reached the limit yet.