Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Dragon's Age II

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm

I noticed a huge difference in performance between a GTX260 and a GTX570 in Bad Company 2 at 1920x1200- but I don't have the GTX260 around to test with Dragon Age II. Difference in graphics, nothing I really noticed (was already playing on highest settings), though I realize that there isn't one for that game.

DX11, by the way, isn't designed to increase detail/realism outside of Tesselation over DX10. It's more of a standardization measure than an quality improvement.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:55 pm

you're absolutely right. that's why i did say, 'besides fps'.
you're also right that Dx11 is more of a standardization, with tessellation and shader model 5.0 being the big additions. that being said, it will eventually bring better graphics, as improvements to the api will allow for greater efficiency.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:34 pm

etilena wrote:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
I switched from a 4850 to a 6950, and did not notice a big difference based on DX10-11.

Did you download the high res texture pack?

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to upgrade. :lol:

Yes, high res. Better performance, marginally, but I do not really notice the DX-11 "eye candy?"
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:22 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
Yes, high res. Better performance, marginally, but I do not really notice the DX-11 "eye candy?"

Its really blatantly obvious with the hi-res pack. It's in the cloths/armor and weapons, some in the floors, Facial features too.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:22 pm

Watched the zero punctuation review, seems the game is nothing like the first one. :-?
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:47 pm

Madman wrote:
Watched the zero punctuation review, seems the game is nothing like the first one. :-?

pretty much.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:37 am

Madman wrote:

Besides the story that adds flavor to II, it's not. But it is good by itself. Think of it like a chapter in a book.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:25 am

Damn you Bioware! So yeah there is a pretty mean and documented bug that if you romance Merrill in Act II her Act III chain is all bugged.

Oh well back to the end of Act I. (I found my act II save was after the romance :( )

that just means I can play longer and ensure I get everything :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 am

tanker27 wrote:
Damn you Bioware! So yeah there is a pretty mean and documented bug that if you romance Merrill in Act II her Act III chain is all bugged.

Oh well back to the end of Act I. (I found my act II save was after the romance :( )

that just means I can play longer and ensure I get everything :P

wow. you really like content, if you're willing to do that all over again. I'm a big fan of finishing a game and unless the game is AMAZING, sc1, HON, etc, NEVER touching it again.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 am

Nvidia users: new beta 170.51 drivers list in the release notes significant (300-500%) improvements for current generation Nvidia cards. Installing now.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 am

Link

270.51 helped a great deal with DA2, but there's still a pretty big gulf. The war of Gaming Evolved and/or TWIMTBP strikes again.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Link

270.51 helped a great deal with DA2, but there's still a pretty big gulf. The war of Gaming Evolved and/or TWIMTBP strikes again.

wow if you were planning on upgrading your rig for that game, AMD is the way to go. 5% gain with a 570 vs 6950 for a 50% price increase?! 580 slower than a 6970 AFTER the new drivers?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:06 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
wow. you really like content, if you're willing to do that all over again. I'm a big fan of finishing a game and unless the game is AMAZING, sc1, HON, etc, NEVER touching it again.

When it comes to Bioware games I am meticulous about the game and my choices.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 pm

(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:39 am

So Tycho at Penny Arcade had a pretty interesting take on DAII and Bioware in general on Friday. I will quote it:

Dragon Age II is firmly, deeply situated "in the bag" at this point, completion time thirty six hours or so, and the experience has been completely bizarre. As the resident Lore Hound, and indeed, for any person who knows what a Thedas is, there is a substantial quantity of aged narrative beef present. Cultural stuff barely hinted at by Origins' inclusion of Sten takes center stage, bolstered by ecstatic writing (that's ecstatic, definition 2) that has an entire alien culture as its payload.

I don't know how successful the original Dragon Age was, but given its interminable development cycle "success" as humans perceive this phenomenon may not have been possible. I don't think the climate at EA allows for that kind of build anymore, I don't think even BioWare can get away with something like that when it isn't attached to an ongoing payment structure. Something had to give, somewhere, and it's not hard to see where.

RPG as a genre is practically a sauce, now: it's something you stew other genres in, imparting an addictive progression arc in terms of equipment or capability. Mass Effect couldn't be a more perfect example. But the flavor was too strong, they determined, too piquant, and ME2 was the result. Most people seemed to prefer the taste. The thing that people are never trying to impart from the conception of an RPG is micro-managerial combat. I say this as someone who likes that and would start a foundation to preserve it. That's what Dragon Age is about, essentially. They have a challenge ahead of them; generally speaking, people don't make games like this anymore, not at this tier of development, and there is a reason.

We have expectations about what an RPG is that are deeply, deeply at odds with the way the industry currently works. It is our expectation that we will purchase a forty hour game, or a sixty hour game, or a hundred hour game for the same price that we purchase a game that lasts four to six hours. BioWare has tried to chart a course for the franchise that is remotely **** possible in the current environment. They're up to their elbows in some pretty sacred zones, and the result has been confusion and rage. It's full of experiments, though, some brilliant and some less so, but I'm wired to think of even failed experiments as progress.

The way these games are "supposed" to go, expressed both by ancient CRPGs and the more modern Mass Effect series, is that you follow a single character's journey through multiple discrete chapters. Dragon Age II confounds this in what I think is an interesting way: they are not telling the story of an individual person, or even a group of people. You would get the impression from DA that this was a game about "The Grey Wardens" and "The Blight," the way that ME is about "The Spectres" and "The Reapers," but you don't have to play that game long to understand that it isn't entirely true. It's actually a story about the people and the power structures of a particular time. Dragon Age II cements that these games are about the world itself: yes, it remembers your old character, and the effect you had, but not just in a localized way: your effect on the motion of history.

Do people like that as well? Generally speaking, I would say no; it's a pretty high concept play. They chose a very peculiar moment to focus on, here: something that would have been a cross-media piece, or an animated short, or a tie-in anywhere else gets the front page. I will tell you that it will be fascinating, beyond fascinating, to see how this tumult crystallizes into the DLC. They have been "given" an incredible, nearly unprecedented opportunity.
Link

I have to agree with him. Although I am loving the ME story the DA arc seems is that much more enjoyable. I like to see that my decision have a affect on the world; whether good, bad, or ugly.

As anyone knows that has played DAII to completion there are some profound choices to be made at the end. (Hence the reason I have two saves with two different out comes.) I am excited to see what becomes of those choices.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

SonWorshiper
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 05, 2011 5:40 am

Yeah, I just forced myself to sit down and finish the game today. The last few choices you refer to, if I don't miss my guess, were pretty well established in my mind already. I really wanted to kill some certain people by that point.

It didn't make the news, but I got Osama bin Anders. It sucked because he was my only healer, so I knew it was a risky choice. But when he did what I was kind of expecting, I knew I would kill him if given the chance, and I had to stick to it.

Maybe I'll load a save just before all that and force myself to choose other options, just to see how different the end result might be. I'm tempted to make a mage, but I can't see playing through the whole thing again.

If you've played through the whole game as mage and some other class, does being a mage make a huge difference to how various parties react to you along the way? I assume not too much, since no one seemed to care that I was walking around with a couple apostates - one of them a self-admitted blood mage - most of the time.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am

Played through as a mage first, a 'good' female (sex makes a difference!), and second as a 2H male warrior making all the mean choices. I'm now working on a female rogue with the intent on making all the 'sarcastic' choices.

I'll have to say that there are definitely more choices to be made, but that running around without a healing mage when I lost Anders for a spell while playing through on hard was a difficult one. Well, deciding not to lower the difficulty was hard :).

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:41 am

I'm a bit late to this party, but I just bought the game yesterday. The original price a few months back was $59.99, but I got it for $29.99 brand new, so I'll be starting next week.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .