Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

jaylim0512
Gerbil
Topic Author

Best Gamepad controller?

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Is the Logitech f710 better or the xbox controller?

And do you suggest anything else?

deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Best Gamepad controller?

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:14 pm

I like the wired Xbox 360 controller these days. I also have Logitech's F510 controller which supports force feedback.
A man must have a code -Bunk

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 pm

My vote is for the Xbox 360 Controller.

This thread is just crying out for a vote...
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

swaaye
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Yeah the 360 pad is both a great pad and also has the best support from game developers. It's sort of a mini monopoly but it's not really all that annoying because it is an excellent pad. It works with zero config pains.

That is unless you want to play old games from the DirectInput days. The 360 pad only support the XInput API for rumble so old games won't give you rumble. I have an old Logitech Wingman Rumblepad around for this situation. It is rather annoying that MS couldn't be bothered to give a little backwards compatibility there.

Prion
Gerbil

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:51 pm

If going the 360 controller route, I recommend going with the Horipad EX2 Turbo and the XBCD drivers.

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Another vote for the 360 pad here. Cheap, widely supported, an excellent controller all around, and if you have a 360/ have a friend with a 360, its an extra controller should you ever need it.

I actually bought one for the PC, but use it on my Xbox as well because im tired of dealing with charging batteries.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Xbox controller but only if you have an Xbox too.

If its just PC, get the logitech but get a deal on it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:01 pm

I''d recommend the Xbox 360 controller for best compatibility. I have a slightly cheaper Logitech Dual Action gamepad and for some games you need to use the Xbox 360 controller emulator for it to work right. Not a big deal until you get a game where the gamepad just doesn't work correctly.

Note that you don't need to get the PC version of the Xbox 360 controller, which I have found to be a bit more expensive over the console version. I bought the wired black one and it doesn't require any drivers for Vista/Win7. Just plug it in and it's ready to go.

jaylim0512
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:15 pm

But if I wanted to play wireless I would have to buy the pc version for the xbox 360 controller correct?

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:41 pm

jaylim0512 wrote:
But if I wanted to play wireless I would have to buy the pc version for the xbox 360 controller correct?

Yeah, you need to have the RF receiver that plugs into a USB port on a PC. You can buy it separately if you already have a wireless Xbox 360 controller.

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 pm

If you have a compatible bluetooth dongle, there are good drivers out there for the PS3 Dualshock controller if you prefer that type of controller. I definitely do, as everything about the 360 controller is not very good for my personal tastes in controllers. In my opinion the PS2 controller design is the most diverse controller design of all time; not exactly the best at any one thing, but competent at everything.

The drivers I have can even emulate a 360 controller, so you can use it for games that only support the 360 controller (Which, might I add, is really stupid and very very annoying). I've been using mine wirelessly for awhile on my laptop and I love it. Works well with Onlive, too.

If you're curious, look up Motionjoy PS3 Dualshock tool. There are other drivers, but some of the solutions are pretty strange (like installing a virtual serial port), and most don't work with bluetooth either.
Vae victus.

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 pm

I feel the need to add in that you can use a 360 mic plugged into the controller on the PC as well. Windows 7, at least, does a good job of auto-installing the drivers and swapping everything over, although sometimes it needs a little tinkering. Nonetheless, it does work.

Pizzapotamus
Gerbil

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:53 am

It depends on what you're using it for. If you're going to be using mostly the analog sticks and don't care about the d-pad, then the xbox controller is a very good choice. However when using the d-pad, which is the vast majority of my non kb and mouse gaming on pc, I prefer a Wii Classic Controller (Pro) hooked up via bluetooth. I've never used a Dualshock 3 with the PC but the controller itself is decent and certainly a better d-pad than Microsoft's joke

deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 am

I just thought about this: Razer's Onza controller. I've been looking at them and want to pick one up if I can find 'em in stock. They're sold out everywhere :( .

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:54 am

deinabog wrote:
I just thought about this: Razer's Onza controller. I've been looking at them and want to pick one up if I can find 'em in stock. They're sold out everywhere :( .

That is a mighty fine-looking controller. And it's a 360-alike, so it'll work with all the PC games using the 360 controller.

btw, Amazon lists it as in stock.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
deinabog wrote:

That is a mighty fine-looking controller. And it's a 360-alike, so it'll work with all the PC games using the 360 controller.

btw, Amazon lists it as in stock.

Thanks for the info. It's also in-stock at Razer's online store (I ordered two this morning). Yes, I admit it: I'm a gamepad junkie :P .

mslowe7187
Gerbil

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:35 am

Wired 360 controllers all the way. Works flawlessly with windows 7 and with my N64 emulator. It also works seamlessly with games that bear the "games for windows" designation.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:40 am

An old PS2 Dual Shock II with a USB adapter works great, too.