Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Boderlands from $4.99 Today Only on Steam

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Grab all Boderlands versions and DLC at 75% off on Steam today only.

You can get the original version for $4.99 or the GOTY version with all DLC included for $7.49.

heater19
Gerbil In Training

Re: Boderlands from $4.99 Today Only on Steam

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:11 pm

have been waiting a while for it to drop to this sweet spot; might just have to try it out;

it always gave me the impression that it was just an action packed version of fallout3 (post apocalyptic world, desert setting...), without the VATS

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 pm

I am totally in on this.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:38 pm

Does the game feature voice acting yet? I yarred this back when it came out and haven't gotten past the second zone, it was extremely demoralising.

The first two characters you meet in the game have voice acting, then after 3 quests or something, the game falls deathly mute and forces you to read pages of text. I mean we're talking about a Diablo clone with a focus on action - reading text? The original Diablo (circa 1996) didn't make you read text! Ridiculous.

I had a moment of "ohgosh, must buy before it's too late" but then I remembered the above, and started wondering why I would even buy this.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:43 pm

Sweet deal. I got my soldier up to level 50, but once I hit the cap I stopped. Never bothered with the DLC. Although now...
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

l33t-g4m3r

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Bought a copy for a friend. Would recommend other fans do the same, spread the fun around.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:22 pm

I bought the GOTY 4 pack and gave some copies out

everyone is going to get their dukenukem first access right?
because there is going to be lots of angst if not

LovermanOwens
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Meadows wrote:
Does the game feature voice acting yet? I yarred this back when it came out and haven't gotten past the second zone, it was extremely demoralising.

please pay for things you play.
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.5Ghz| Asus Crosshair V| 4x4 gig ddr3 1866| too many hard drives to count | 2 7970 Ghz Editions| Antec Quattro 1000 PSU | Thermaltake Armor + | Logitech THX 5.1 | 7.1 Razer Tiamat Headset

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Bought the GOTY edition, even though I have the original one D2D. (for the DLC)
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 am

Does the DLC still have the same ugly DRM that it originally had? Can't remember all the details off hand, but I recall that there was something about it that drove me away. I'll just go with the original game if it does (not like I have time to play it right now anyways :P)
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:29 am

emorgoch wrote:
Does the DLC still have the same ugly DRM that it originally had? Can't remember all the details off hand, but I recall that there was something about it that drove me away. I'll just go with the original game if it does (not like I have time to play it right now anyways :P)

I have it on Steam and don't recall any DRM getting in the way of anything.

Right click, install, play. Done.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Some quick web research has re-affirmed my discontent about the DLC. The original Borderlands, when distributed on Steam, only used Steamworks as it's DRM mechanism. However, the following two DLCs that were released used SecureROM, including a 5 activation limit, and patched that into the original game. The DRM on the third DLC is unclear, but looks to be a less obtrusive version of SecureROM, though I don't know how it interacts with the first 2 (i.e. if it removes all the activation limits, or leaves what was already there in place).
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Windows 10 64-bit

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Maybe I am the only one but I thought Borderlands was terrible, and wouldn't spend any money on it at all (though I bought it brand new). Probably my worse purchase for a video game, its like an MMO without everything MMO's offer.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Dang. Didn't realize this was from yesterday. Oh well. Not like I still have RIFT, Crysis 2, and Civ V to finish, along with SC2 achievement hunts (2 more levels on brutal plus the 8 hour raid night), Defense Grid, Mafia 2, Just Cause 2...

Having a job sucks...
Windows 10 64-bit

TaBoVilla
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 pm

emorgoch wrote:
Having a job sucks...
Then again, not having one probably wouldn't have allowed ya indulging in all these gaming pleasures =), yeah life is unfair!

Stargazer
Gerbil

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 pm

emorgoch wrote:
Dang. Didn't realize this was from yesterday. Oh well. Not like I still have RIFT, Crysis 2, and Civ V to finish, along with SC2 achievement hunts (2 more levels on brutal plus the 8 hour raid night), Defense Grid, Mafia 2, Just Cause 2...

Having a job sucks...

The deal still seems to be valid (though without the front page promotion).

Stargazer
Gerbil

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 pm

emorgoch wrote:
Some quick web research has re-affirmed my discontent about the DLC. The original Borderlands, when distributed on Steam, only used Steamworks as it's DRM mechanism. However, the following two DLCs that were released used SecureROM, including a 5 activation limit, and patched that into the original game. The DRM on the third DLC is unclear, but looks to be a less obtrusive version of SecureROM, though I don't know how it interacts with the first 2 (i.e. if it removes all the activation limits, or leaves what was already there in place).

Are you sure about this?
The Steam pages for The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned and Mad Moxxi (two of the DLC) clearly state: "3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™ 5 machine activation limit ", but I can find no mention of this on the pages for "plain" Borderlands, Borderlands GOTY, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx or Claptrap's Robot Revolution.

Unless they're mistaken, I'd take this to mean that SecuROM is only included in those two DLCs. This is a bit weird since GOTY *includes* those two DLCs though. Has SecuROM been turned off in that case? If not, they're sort of hiding "important" information about the GOTY edition.

cass

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:25 pm

Stargazer wrote:
emorgoch wrote:

Are you sure about this?
The Steam pages for The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned and Mad Moxxi (two of the DLC) clearly state: "3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™ 5 machine activation limit ", but I can find no mention of this on the pages for "plain" Borderlands, Borderlands GOTY, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx or Claptrap's Robot Revolution.

Unless they're mistaken, I'd take this to mean that SecuROM is only included in those two DLCs. This is a bit weird since GOTY *includes* those two DLCs though. Has SecuROM been turned off in that case? If not, they're sort of hiding "important" information about the GOTY edition.

Quit your whining. (partially kidding) You get to have it installed on up to FIVE machines concurrently and have unlimited installs.... What more do you want.

DLC activation revoke tool

More over Its only $4.99 , so its less than $1.00/install.

I Bought the thing Three times at around $50 for three different computers before I figured out I only needed one. And it will still only recognize the 1st purchase activation. That was D2D and not steam though.

Stargazer
Gerbil

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:38 pm

cass wrote:
Stargazer wrote:
emorgoch wrote:

Are you sure about this?

Quit your whining. (partially kidding)

Only partially? In what way am I "whining"? I don't remember saying anything along the lines of "I wouldn't touch SecuROM with a 5.25" pole!".

In my experience, Steam has been pretty good in clearly indicating which games *are* using SecuROM by saying so on that game's information page. In this case, two of the DLC that are included in the GOTY edition are marked as using SecuROM, while the GOTY edition itself is not. This would seem to indicate that either those DLC lost SecuROM when they were added to the GOTY edition, or that the information for the GOTY edition is incomplete. I would like to know which of those alternatives is true.

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Stargazer wrote:
Only partially? In what way am I "whining"? I don't remember saying anything along the lines of "I wouldn't touch SecuROM with a 5.25" pole!".

They make 5.25" poles? My 5.25" floppy drive will be pleased.

Borderlands purchased, save to play for a rainy day.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

cass

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Stargazer wrote:

In my experience, Steam has been pretty good in clearly indicating which games *are* using SecuROM by saying so on that game's information page. In this case, two of the DLC that are included in the GOTY edition are marked as using SecuROM, while the GOTY edition itself is not. This would seem to indicate that either those DLC lost SecuROM when they were added to the GOTY edition, or that the information for the GOTY edition is incomplete. I would like to know which of those alternatives is true.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh ... ostcount=4

When you can install the damn thing 10,000 or more times and have it on five concurrent installs, Why is the DRM even an issue? To me it seems you are making an enormous deal out of something that can't possibly cause you a problem if you are trying to legitimately play the game.

In any event the above link is from gearbox explaining what you want so bad to know.

Stargazer
Gerbil

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:03 pm

cass wrote:
Stargazer wrote:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh ... ostcount=4

When you can install the damn thing 10,000 or more times and have it on five concurrent installs, Why is the DRM even an issue? To me it seems you are making an enormous deal out of something that can't possibly cause you a problem if you are trying to legitimately play the game.

In any event the above link is from gearbox explaining what you want so bad to know.

Have I said that DRM is an issue? Have I in any way indicated that SecuROM would be causing me any trouble?

I'm asking if the information Steam gives regarding the GOTY edition is correct. Do I need to pledge to dedicate my life to the eradication of SecuROM before I can ask a question like that?

Oh. The link you posted does not in any way answer my question. It actually gives the very same information that I stated earlier. 2 of the DLC include SecuROM, the other parts do not. It does not say if this use of SecuROM remains in the GOTY edition (though I've now found other sources that suggest that SecuROM is there). In fact, it does not even mention the GOTY edition. This isn't really surprising, since the post was made long before the GOTY edition was released.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm

cass wrote:

Tell that to all the Dragon Age: Origins players who were locked out of playing their game all weekend because EA & Bioware messed up the authentication servers.
Windows 10 64-bit

crazybus

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:48 pm

cass wrote:
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1988143&postcount=4

I'm unfamiliar with how Securom activation limits work. What happens if your hard drive dies or you forget to deactivate before a reinstall? Do you then lose an activation?
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

emorgoch wrote:

Borderlands and the base install of Borderlands GoTY in both Retail and Steam form does not have Securom.

Retail versions of:

The Zombie Island of Dr. Zed
Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot
The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
Claptrap's New Robot Revolution

All use Securom. This includes the version of the DLC included with the Retail copy of Borderland GoTY.

Steam versions of:

The Zombie Island of Dr. Zed (1)
Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot (2)
The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (3)
Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (4)

DLC 1 & 2 use Securom. DLC 3 & 4 do not. This includes the Steam copy of Borderlands GoTY.

crazybus wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with how Securom activation limits work. What happens if your hard drive dies or you forget to deactivate before a reinstall? Do you then lose an activation?

No, it generates a machine ID. So long as the hardware remains the same it will generate the exact same ID. A hard drive change does not change the ID. Wiping and reinstalling the machine without chaning the hardware would cause the same hardware ID to be generated upon reinstall so no activation would be lost.

Securom is a pretty tame form of DRM.

Meadows wrote:

The first two characters you meet in the game have voice acting, then after 3 quests or something, the game falls deathly mute and forces you to read pages of text. I mean we're talking about a Diablo clone with a focus on action - reading text? The original Diablo (circa 1996) didn't make you read text! Ridiculous.

I had a moment of "ohgosh, must buy before it's too late" but then I remembered the above, and started wondering why I would even buy this.

It has always had voice acting. Your yarrrr version was damaged goods.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Borderlands and the base install of Borderlands GoTY in both Retail and Steam form does not have Securom.

Retail versions of:

The Zombie Island of Dr. Zed
Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot
The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
Claptrap's New Robot Revolution

All use Securom. This includes the version of the DLC included with the Retail copy of Borderland GoTY.

Steam versions of:

The Zombie Island of Dr. Zed (1)
Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot (2)
The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (3)
Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (4)

DLC 1 & 2 use Securom. DLC 3 & 4 do not. This includes the Steam copy of Borderlands GoTY.

You seem to contradict yourself here Ryu. You state right at the top that GOTY does NOT have SecuROM, but then you say that it does when you break down retail and Steam.

NM. Read it once more (for the 4th time), and it's a little clearer now. Is there any way to avoid SecuROM if I buy the GOTY edition off Steam, or will it be automatically included and run because all the DLC is there?
Windows 10 64-bit

Stargazer
Gerbil

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:14 pm

emorgoch wrote:
Is there any way to avoid SecuROM if I buy the GOTY edition off Steam, or will it be automatically included and run because all the DLC is there?

I'm not sure. The Steam client says that "All downloadable content is automatically installed and uninstalled along with this game, and can be accessed by playing it.", but it might be possible to bypass that behavior somehow.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Meadows wrote:

It has always had voice acting. Your yarrrr version was damaged goods.

No it wasn't. I vividly remember checking online whether it was as you say, but the game shipped with a defect.
No way in hell I would pay for such crap, and I'm not taking this deal either if they haven't fixed it.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game ... ds/review/
"What voice acting exists does the job just fine, though Borderlands would have benefited from a lot more of it, as most quests are given to players through text windows without any actual speech, including most of the plot missions, and this technique feels extremely dated as a storytelling device."

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Meadows wrote:
No it wasn't. I vividly remember checking online whether it was as you say, but the game shipped with a defect.
No way in hell I would pay for such crap, and I'm not taking this deal either if they haven't fixed it.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game ... ds/review/
"What voice acting exists does the job just fine, though Borderlands would have benefited from a lot more of it, as most quests are given to players through text windows without any actual speech, including most of the plot missions, and this technique feels extremely dated as a storytelling device."

Ah, I see. So your original question of:

Meadows wrote:
Does the game feature voice acting yet?

Should have actually read:

Meadows wrote:
Does the game feature voice acting yet for every single line of text?

No, no it doesn't. There is in fact vocal dialogue throughout the game, which does in fact class as voice acting, but it does not encompass every single line of text. The Secret Armory of General Knoxx in particular has some fantastic humor delivered through it's voice acting.

Please return to your pen, Ms. Pony.

emorgoch wrote:
You seem to contradict yourself here Ryu. You state right at the top that GOTY does NOT have SecuROM, but then you say that it does when you break down retail and Steam.

NM. Read it once more (for the 4th time), and it's a little clearer now. Is there any way to avoid SecuROM if I buy the GOTY edition off Steam, or will it be automatically included and run because all the DLC is there?

Sorry that it read confusing. I've looked over it a few more times and don't see a way to better tweak it. The situation is just kinda of messy by default.

As for Steam, I suppose the answer is sorta. If you install the Steam version of GoTY, DLC 1 & 2 are not automagically validated as they require the CD key associated with them to be submitted. So in premise if you never authorize the DLC you never install Securom. I can't promise it might not generate user specific data for Securom though - if you're worried about the few folders or registry keys Securom creates. FWIW Securom does run in a completely standard user context without Admin permissions.

https://support.securom.com/removaltool.html

^ Securom Uninstall Tool
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.