Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

(rant) BIOS option ambiguity

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 am

Example:

AI (CPU) Overclocking: Auto (the default option)
available options: Auto, manual, standard, Overlock 3%, 5%, 10%, etc.

Of course the manual is as much help as the BIOS's explanation of the option. As I've never seen overclocking occur by accident through a setting like this, I assume Auto in this case means "no overclocking", but why can't it just say that, or "disabled" or something.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: (rant) BIOS option ambiguity

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 am

Well, the difference between Auto and Standard is that with one you need to use the clutch pedal and with the other you do not (or not -- see the Civic shifting thread ;) ).

Seriously, you're right, that's an odd set of choices. I assume that "Manual" allows you to tweak the various options by hand (vs choosing one of the percentages, which will tweak the appropriate values proportionately).

Given that a lot of modern chips can overclock themselves dynamically (boosting busy cores while sleeping unbusy ones), I wonder if Auto just means that is allowed/enabled, whereas Standard may tell the CPU not to run above its nominal clockspeed?

What motherboard is this?

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:15 pm

Well that particular board is an old Asus A8V (s939 via chipset), but it may be an Asus oddity because I've seen similar features with similar options on other, more modern boards.

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Well, it's not like the voltage settings I have on one older board.

Auto, Normal, High, Higher, Very high, with no relations to volts at ALL! :lol: Could have added at least the Toaster option as well.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b