Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Portal 2 Thread

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:31 am

I haven't seen a tread about it yet, so as I just finished it minutes ago I figured I would. Portal 2 was awesome!

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Portal 2 Thread

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:36 am

I've only just completed the single player.
It's a bit short. It's not like I was rushing. The co-op is a real draw though. I'm trying that next.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 am

My younger brother is really excited about the co-op, but I'm a little less interested; maybe my perspective will change. It's on my 'when-it-goes-on-sale-wishlist'. Wonder if it will run decently on my Toshiba's i7-2630 and HD3000 at 1366x768?

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 am

here's my issues. 80$ of day one DLC. clear console port with "don't turn off your console" during PC saves. Did not push the graphics in anyway, shape or form. too short, as well. Yes it was fun, but 60$ for 6 hours of fun? that's more than i want to pay. another disappointing release.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:38 am

SSK wrote:
80$ of day one DLC.

Which are co-op gestures, not actual gameplay material. It's not like they're charging you for a map they had ready but didn't include, it's complete fluff.

SSK wrote:
clear console port with "don't turn off your console" during PC saves.

Maybe I'm blind but I didn't catch that at all.

SSK wrote:
Did not push the graphics in anyway, shape or form

Just the gameplay, which is what everyone bitches anyway about.

SSK wrote:
too short, as well

Haven't beat it yet, but I don't the first one being all that long. Why the surprise or the gripe?

SSK wrote:
Yes it was fun, but 60$ for 6 hours of fun?

WHAT?

Dude, the console version costs $60. But you were just bitching about the PC version being a "port." Huh?

You know what's worse than stupid griping? Repeating other people's stupid gripes and contradicting yourself while doing it.

SSK wrote:
that's more than i want to pay.

Then don't.

SSK wrote:
another disappointing release.

Another disappointing post.

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:27 am

sweatshopking wrote:
clear console port with "don't turn off your console" during PC saves.

So you are saying that this is a console first development because they have a line of text about a console? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21926759&postcount=9 It was just a programming error.

sweatshopking wrote:
Did not push the graphics in anyway, shape or form.

and they never advertised it to. It is the source engine after all.

sweatshopking wrote:
too short, as well. Yes it was fun, but 60$ for 6 hours of fun? that's more than i want to pay.

Ars has a good read over the shrinking length of games. As a married man with a full time job, 6 hours of single player is plenty of game for my schedule. Hell, I play on a recreational softball league and row for a corporate crew team during the week too. I find it hard enough to sink any time at all into any game unless I want to stay up until 3am and wake my wife up as I try to sneak into bed.

As far as the cost goes, I will and have spent $60x2 for tickets for a football game or basketball game with my wife and that only lasts around 2-3 hours. I preordered Portal 2 through steam with a 2-pack purchase and haven't had the chance to play it yet, but I am pretty sure the gameplay will grab my attention more than the graphics, length, or cost. That is what the first Portal succeeded and my only disappointed would be if the 2nd one fails there.

sweatshopking wrote:
and the ARG thing valve did just pissed me off! we only got the release 12 hours earlier AND had to support idie game developers to do it!

Okay, okay, so you forgot to say this part in your initial rant and I made it up to complete your perfect storm of how Portal 2 is a failure. This argument as well as the rest of your post has been spewed out by entitled gamers all over the internet. It is funny how nobody really talks about the game play itself. All I hear is "Too short, too expensive, old graphics engine, console port, evil Valve marketing ploy"

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:37 am

Portal 2 would have sucked if it was any longer. I wanted a cohesive experience that wasn't filled with filler, flowed well, and didn't wear out it's welcome, and that's exactly what I got for my $44.
The graphics aren't stunning but I can play it on my macbook if need be, and I'm not pedantic enough to complain about the console message.. especially as I can play co-op with my friends who prefer their PS3 to their PC.
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 am

Anyone been able to find the J.J. Abrams clips in Portal2?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:57 am

sweatshopking wrote:
here's my issues. 80$ of day one DLC. clear console port with "don't turn off your console" during PC saves. Did not push the graphics in anyway, shape or form. too short, as well. Yes it was fun, but 60$ for 6 hours of fun? that's more than i want to pay. another disappointing release.

I am convinced that your not really satisfied at anything. Tell you what, why dont you go and make your own game; the game of your dreams, and lets see how you fare. In fact I would just give up gaming as a hobby. Go do something else.

Portal 2 is what it is and its never claimed to be anything more.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 am

sweatshopking wrote:
here's my issues. Yes it was fun, but 60$ for 6 hours of fun? that's more than i want to pay. another disappointing release.
tanker27 wrote:
I am convinced that you're not really satisfied with anything. Tell you what, why don't you go and make your own game; the game of your dreams, and lets see how you fare.
Since SSK believes in stealing games, after he had spent 5+ years of his life developing it, he would just give it away to everyone for free.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 am

I only paid 40 bucks. I beat it in 6 hours. It's a bit short, but the co-op and additional maps that will surely follow ( from valve or the community doesn't matter ) means it will add up to be another solid purchase. L4D2 is the only valve game I found to be overpriced ( until I got it for 5 bucks from waiting a little while ).
I didn't have any console-itis issues. I'm just waiting for my cheap ass friends to buy it and join me in some co-op.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:11 am

Really enjoyed the first one, but I think I'll be waiting for the price to go down on this one... $50 for a six hour game just seems a bit much. Will wait for a sale :)

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 am

In reference to the length of the game, I think Portal was only 8 hours long, the first time through. I have not finished the SP, but I know I am faster with Portal 2 because I remember the "rules". And, if the co-op is as good as Valve's typical Source offerings, it will be worth the price of admission all by itself.

I read about the "do not turn off your console" thing before I bought and started playing, and I didn't notice it in game at all.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
sweatshopking wrote:
here's my issues. Yes it was fun, but 60$ for 6 hours of fun? that's more than i want to pay. another disappointing release.
tanker27 wrote:
I am convinced that you're not really satisfied with anything. Tell you what, why don't you go and make your own game; the game of your dreams, and lets see how you fare.
Since SSK believes in stealing games, after he had spent 5+ years of his life developing it, he would just give it away to everyone for free.

LOL. JAE. you're such a drama queen. i've made many points in regards to this, hoping to have some constructive dialogue, and you just ignore it. you're a bitter old man, and i'm not going to argue with you any more about it.

My perfect game? there's a couple. Street fighter alpha 3. Starcraft 1. Heroes of newerth. Civ IV. Far cry 1 ( i didn't really mind the tryguns, though i can see why you would), just cause 2, trackmania, super meat boy, etc. I LOVE these games. WHY? cause they provide a lengthy quality game, with a lot of replayability, and I don't feel like i'm getting raped buying them.

I'm satisfied with lots of games. How many hours did half life 2 take you to finish? it was more than 6. why are the costs to produce portal 2 SO much higher that they're selling this game at full price with only 1/3 the actual game vs half life 2? what I'm not satisfied with, is the way that valve pushes all the things so many of you complain about, like DRM, crap graphics, shortening games, console ports, but because it's valve, HOORAY!!! They're MAGICAL!! it's another RDF, and that's my issue. I LIKED portal. I OWN it. I bought it when the price was fair. I just don't like double standards. I don't like paying more for less. Call me crazy.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:50 am

Crazy.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 am

On the game duration issue, RockPaperShotgun has a good analysis up today...
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:09 pm

ericfulmer wrote:
In reference to the length of the game, I think Portal was only 8 hours long, the first time through. I have not finished the SP, but I know I am faster with Portal 2 because I remember the "rules". And, if the co-op is as good as Valve's typical Source offerings, it will be worth the price of admission all by itself.

I read about the "do not turn off your console" thing before I bought and started playing, and I didn't notice it in game at all.

I'm sure the co-op will be awesome - I just can't bring myself to pay $50 for it, especially when I know for a fact that it'll be half that much sometime in the near future. And when I pay my $25 some number of months from now, my enjoyment of the game will be exactly the same as if I'd paid $50 for it now. In fact, I might enjoy it even more :wink:

Maybe I'm just getting old... I also refuse to stand in line for hours to see new movies, based purely on the knowledge that I can see exactly the same movie a week later without the line, and with less people making noise in the theater.

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Not to defend all of SSK's whining, but he has the right to decide what his fair price would be, based on whatever his personal criteria is (crazy or not).

Portal 1 was around a 4 hour experience for me (3 or so beating the actual game and maybe an extra hour on challenge maps). Fun, but boring to me after a while. In hindsight, I'd pay maybe $5 (lucky me, for the orange box). Based on this, I'm waiting till Portal 2 at least $10. Will it get there? Maybe, maybe not. Am I missing out? Maybe, maybe not. But it's my choice as to what I'm willing to pay.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

PixelArmy wrote:
Not to defend all of SSK's whining, but he has the right to decide what his fair price would be, based on whatever his personal criteria is (crazy or not).
No, a sociopath does not have a right to steal a game because he believes that the "fair price" for any software is zero.

I will wait for Portal 2 to go on sale at a reduced price because I have plenty of other games waiting for my attention and Portal isn't at the top of my wish list. However, when I do want to play the game, I will pay for it.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:44 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
PixelArmy wrote:
No, a sociopath does not have a right to steal a game because he believes that the "fair price" for any software is zero.

I will wait for Portal 2 to go on sale at a reduced price because I have plenty of other games waiting for my attention and Portal isn't at the top of my wish list. However, when I do want to play the game, I will pay for it.

JAE, Lol. you're actually so ridiculous you make me laugh out loud for reals. not with you though. AT YOU.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:49 pm

PixelArmy wrote:

Oh he has every right to complain about price and the game itself. But he never posts anything good, its always whining. He is NEVER satisified, which is why I suggested that he give up on gaming as a hobby and do something else.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:02 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
I'm satisfied with lots of games. How many hours did half life 2 take you to finish? it was more than 6. why are the costs to produce portal 2 SO much higher that they're selling this game at full price with only 1/3 the actual game vs half life 2? what I'm not satisfied with, is the way that valve pushes all the things so many of you complain about, like DRM, crap graphics, shortening games, console ports, but because it's valve, HOORAY!!! They're MAGICAL!! it's another RDF, and that's my issue. I LIKED portal. I OWN it. I bought it when the price was fair. I just don't like double standards. I don't like paying more for less. Call me crazy.

Half life 2 came with both CSS and HL:DM. That was a pretty damned good value. Episode one WAS short, but it was like 9 bucks when it first came out...at least it was at radio shack. Orange box came with portal tf2 episode 2 and the previous instalments of the half life 2 series. That is also a great value. Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2 are the only two that were overpriced when they first came out when considering content versus price. At least the additional content and later price cuts has lessened the pain of that. Alien Swarm is enough for me to forgive that whole debacle.

I guess what I'm saying is that Valve has released some shorter games of late, but I don't really think they aren't giving people their money's worth (as you seem to be suggesting). Let's not forget that the is the co-op mode, and there is the very high likelihood of additional content from valve to come later...

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:14 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
sweatshopking wrote:

Half life 2 came with both CSS and HL:DM. That was a pretty damned good value. Episode one WAS short, but it was like 9 bucks when it first came out...at least it was at radio shack. Orange box came with portal tf2 episode 2 and the previous instalments of the half life 2 series. That is also a great value. Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2 are the only two that were overpriced when they first came out when considering content versus price. At least the additional content and later price cuts has lessened the pain of that. Alien Swarm is enough for me to forgive that whole debacle.

I guess what I'm saying is that Valve has released some shorter games of late, but I don't really think they aren't giving people their money's worth.

@ tanker, I post good stuff all the time. quit being such a hater. I'm totally down for a real discussion, and am more than happy to have one. if you've got beef with my angle, let me know. i'm an openminded guy, and i think the record shows that when i'm wrong, i acknowledge it. I didn't Like DA2, but i did like DAO. I did like portal, but i feel the second one is too short, and too expensive. I hardly consider that constant complaining. Also, I don't know if you read the dymt thread, but my wife has forced me to get a horse. gaming might not be much of a hobby for me in the near future :(

@Max You're right about HL2, but the only extra there was CSS. most FPS come with multiplayer, and so whilst i can appreciate the CSS extra, i think the DM should be considered expected. Orange box was an excellent value. no question there. l4d's were overpriced. we can agree on that. The episodes retailed for 20$ around me when they first came out. 9$ would have been fine, imo. Alien swarm is nice, but that's a different thing. If i overpaid on l4d, but don't like the alien swarm style, then i'm sol. I can appreciate what you're saying though. It's a pretty good game to be free.

I'm concerned that valve will think that because they've gotten a pass on the shorted games as of late, which i would say is due to historical higher value games, they'll continue to shorten going forward, and since, for better or worse, they're a standard setter on PC, more and more companies will follow, and we'll see less and less.

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:31 pm

sweatshopking wrote:

Bottom line: either wait for the price to drop to your comfort level or forget about it and play something else. Direct2Drive, Amazon and Steam have such great sales these days that having just a little patience can really pay off. I've built up a small backlog of heavily discounted AAA games to keep me busy for at least a year. Anymore I laugh at the $50-$60 price.

Not sure what you were expecting with the graphics. The Source engine is old and it was a multi-platform game.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
@Max You're right about HL2, but the only extra there was CSS. most FPS come with multiplayer, and so whilst i can appreciate the CSS extra, i think the DM should be considered expected. Orange box was an excellent value. no question there. l4d's were overpriced. we can agree on that. The episodes retailed for 20$ around me when they first came out. 9$ would have been fine, imo. Alien swarm is nice, but that's a different thing. If i overpaid on l4d, but don't like the alien swarm style, then i'm sol. I can appreciate what you're saying though. It's a pretty good game to be free.

No. Half life 2 DID come with HL2:DM as well as CSS. I can take a picture of the box if you like...

While I might agree that the L4D games initially are a bit low on content for their initial 50 dollar price tag. But with all the additional content that has been added, surely it's at least to the point where one would be LESS justified in complaining about the value aspect.

sweatshopking wrote:
I'm concerned that valve will think that because they've gotten a pass on the shorted games as of late, which i would say is due to historical higher value games, they'll continue to shorten going forward, and since, for better or worse, they're a standard setter on PC, more and more companies will follow, and we'll see less and less.

I appreciate what you are trying to say here, but I'm still not sure there is much of a strong case for it. I mean, it's really hard to make a case that valve doesn't provide good content for your dollar. Because of what I mentioned above, if there is an instance where you think you just got ripped off for paying 50-60 bucks for a game, content churns out to the point where the value IS where it should be and length of game content is sufficient.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:05 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
No. Half life 2 DID come with HL2:DM as well as CSS. I can take a picture of the box if you like...

sorry, you misunderstand me. I'm agreeing that it was there, i'm just saying that the DM shouldn't be considered an extra. CSS was an extra.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:10 pm

You're just making up criteria. I have no clue how to go about judging the value of a game. If I were to use the hours played metric single player games would be of embarrassingly less value to me than multiplayer ones. However, I'm not entirely sure I think of it that way. Then, speaking of single player games are all longer games better than short ones? Some games are too long and that actually lowers their value. It's an impossible question really and I don't see much point in arguing over it. I spent 50+ hours on Portal completing the challenges and playing through the story several times. That's a lot of money and if Portal 2 does the same thing as Portal but new levels then that's completely worth it to me, even at $50.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:12 pm

EDIT: directed at SSK:I'm not really sure where the point of if it's an extra or just a portion of the main game fits in. I'm more talking about getting what you pay for. It was included in the pack that you got when you bought the original copy. Are you suggesting that when valve releases these games by themselves the prices are too high?

imtheunknown176
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:33 pm

I feel like I got $45 out of the game. It's not fair to compare it directly to Portal. Portal 2 has enough (new game mechanics and a decent story) to make it more than simply Portal times 2.

I did have a few complaints though, in no particular order:
The game was not Episode 3 though seeing the Borealis dock made me nerd out a little
The puzzles seemed a little easier than the ones in Portal.
Loading screens.
Too many safety rails. I don't remember the previous game having so many. There were a lot of places that looked accessible but weren't. It definitely broke the immersion. Even if it meant plummeting to my death I would rather have the option than not.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Wow this turned into a flame war. None the less, I still loved the game. I'm not sure what $80 of DLC you are talking about, but I haven't been able to find it. I also feel that with how many crappy games are produced, and the ones that are produced end up like MW2 I highly liked this game. I don't want to be spending more than 6 hours on a single title if it has MP or isn't an RPG. I liked the length and though the graphics weren't nice they did a lot of stuff with the environment (much more complexity and moving parts) to make the areas interesting.

All in all it was a great game. I have played the co-op and it is quite a lot of fun. My relative value is ~$30 for the title if you are ONLY going from game-play. I am more than willing to give valve the $45 dollars I spent on this to fuel their next game, and to fill their pockets to keep selling me stuff. I only play on PC, and there are few good developers left. I know that this game must play well with PC's and with Consoles, but it was better than 90% of titles out today anyway.