Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

New case for Sandy Bridge

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:54 pm

I cannot decide which case I should get for this Sandy Bridge build I would like to get: FT-02B or a 600T. Please advise.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Wyglif
Gerbil

Re: New case for Sandy Bridge

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Wait for the 600T special edition with side fan mount. I was going to get that but found a phantom on sale at Fry's

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Wyglif wrote:
Wait for the 600T special edition with side fan mount. I was going to get that but found a phantom on sale at Fry's

Intriguing. Any specs on that, other than the side-mounted fan?

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:11 pm

I own the ft02 B. its a near flawless case. the only flaw, the only flaw is that the built in fan controller only has controls for 3 fans. I have the three 180mm intake fans controlled by the fan controller, and the top exhaust fan (the 140mm fan) is uncontrolled and runs off the mobo power. That is the only real flaw.

Its very cool, the cabling is easy to manage, the case stays clean on the inside and out. The intakes are the 3 180mm fans on the bottom of the case and the back of the case has an intake for the psu. the intakes are all filtered. unlike other cases where the intakes are filtered, the intakes are not visible so you don't see dust building up on a visible filter. The psu filter never gets dust on it for some reason.

The ft02 is probably a 8.5-9/10 by my scoring. I am extremely happy with it and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

I personally don't like the graphite. The problem with visible intakes on cases is that they draw dust into the case in a visible location. Even if the filter is there, you still see the dust. The corsair at least has the filter and the grate combined (some cases have the filter behind the grate, but the grate cannot be removed and is caked with dust itself), but again the issue is that the most aesthetic part of the case is also the part that is most likely to be filthy. I also don't like the fan bright lights which cannot be turned off, the knob on top of the case, and the overuse of a grating on the sides of the case. A case to me should be a sleek, unified, monilith, not a mesh box.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

Wyglif
Gerbil

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:21 pm

riviera74 wrote:
Wyglif wrote:

Intriguing. Any specs on that, other than the side-mounted fan?

Not much difference besides the side door and the color. The main complaint on the case in reviews seems to be the gpu temps which prompted the special edition. Until I bought my nzxt I waited since February for the 600t se so who knows when it comes out:

http://www.corsair.com/cases/graphite-series/special-edition-white-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case.html

UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:47 am

I just moved my computer from a p183 into a ft02b, and it's unfortunately a little bit noisier, with 2x6950, a Seasonic M12D and a Thermalright Silver arrow, bottom fans on low and top fan uncontrolled. The cable management is much easier on the FT02, though.
i5-750 @ 3.3 GHz; Asus P7P55D-E Pro; Thermalright Silver Arrow; Antec P183; 4 GB; 2x Radeon HD 6950; Corsair HX650.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:41 am

UltimateImperative wrote:
I just moved my computer from a p183 into a ft02b, and it's unfortunately a little bit noisier, with 2x6950, a Seasonic M12D and a Thermalright Silver arrow, bottom fans on low and top fan uncontrolled. The cable management is much easier on the FT02, though.

If I might ask, what part is noisier? I'm going to assume that if there was a simple solution you would have found it and remedied it- but I would like to know what you think might be the cause.

Personally, I found my P180 to be quite loud initially and quickly yanked all of the Tri-Cools out. After replacing those with S-Flex Es and getting the quietest inexpensive HSF available at the time, it's very quiet, but still not silent (sigh). When I picked up my 30" panel I knew that I'd have to start looking at dual graphics cards to keep up with the latest games, and in seeing how Kyle Bennett over at the [H] had used a Raven 02 case to cool a pair of GTX480's, I'm very hopeful for the FT-02. Do you think your P183 would be quieter with your current setup? I'd think that the video cards would be ramping up higher leading to much more noise.

UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:49 am

It a good bit louder at idle. I think it's mostly the 120 mm exhaust fan at the top and the two 140 mm fans on my CPU; when on low, the 180 mm fans at the bottom are pretty quiet. The biggest problem, I think, is that now the exhausts are closer to my ears, because they are at the top of the case instead of at the back. The hard drive vibration insulation is also not as good as on the P183 or the Sonata (thin rubber vs. thick silicone), and it's noticeable. OTOH, it doesn't get as loud when I game, and I get 77 degrees C maximum when I run the Heaven benchmark.
i5-750 @ 3.3 GHz; Asus P7P55D-E Pro; Thermalright Silver Arrow; Antec P183; 4 GB; 2x Radeon HD 6950; Corsair HX650.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:40 am

It a good bit louder at idle. I think it's mostly the 120 mm exhaust fan at the top and the two 140 mm fans on my CPU; when on low, the 180 mm fans at the bottom are pretty quiet. The biggest problem, I think, is that now the exhausts are closer to my ears, because they are at the top of the case instead of at the back. The hard drive vibration insulation is also not as good as on the P183 or the Sonata (thin rubber vs. thick silicone), and it's noticeable. OTOH, it doesn't get as loud when I game, and I get 77 degrees C maximum when I run the Heaven benchmark.

Cool :), and thanks for following up. I have ready solutions for the exhaust fan and HSF, as they'll be combined in an H60 if I find myself ponying up for the FT-02. I'll have to take a closer look at the hard drive mounting, but my harshest drive is my WD Black 1TB (333GB version) and won't be making the transistion I don't believe. I'll only be bringing over a 2TB WD green.

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:15 pm

You should also consider the corsair 650D

http://www.corsair.com/cases/obsidian-s ... -650d.html

@ultimateimperative
The noise for me comes from the top 140mm fan which runs at full speed all the time because its a 3pin fan and my mobo can't control 3 pin fans. I just bought a $7 pci backplate fan controller and plan on using that to control the 140mm fan. With the design of the ft02 with the pci backplates being on top, its actually the perfect solution. The 3 180mm fans on low settings are darn near silent. If I disconnect that 140mm fan, I can't tell when my pc is on or off from >0.5m away.

I don't have the same HD issues because I'm using a pair of SSDs. I will say that my single mechanical harddrive is a bit noticeable, but i think thats more because its an old drive not exactly built for silence either.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Sunburn74 wrote:
You should also consider the corsair 650D

http://www.corsair.com/cases/obsidian-s ... -650d.html

@ultimateimperative
The noise for me comes from the top 140mm fan which runs at full speed all the time because its a 3pin fan and my mobo can't control 3 pin fans. I just bought a $7 pci backplate fan controller and plan on using that to control the 140mm fan. With the design of the ft02 with the pci backplates being on top, its actually the perfect solution. The 3 180mm fans on low settings are darn near silent. If I disconnect that 140mm fan, I can't tell when my pc is on or off from >0.5m away.

I like the 650D- but I don't like 200mm fans. Looks like you can yank em and put in good 120mm fans though. I've been looking around for less expensive alternatives to the FT-02, but it just does so much right. Any other case I'd have to replace all of the fans, and on many I'd have to add fan filters and break out a Dremel to increase cable routing options. I'm not opposed to this, but the Fortress is good as is!

UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:36 pm

The noise for me comes from the top 140mm fan which runs at full speed all the time because its a 3pin fan and my mobo can't control 3 pin fans.

When I disconnected the top fan, my system was still louder than in the P183. But it did make things better, so I might put in a lower-noise fan, or use a controller, as you do.

My hard drive is also pretty loud: it's a WD Caviar Black 1 TB with 3 333 GB platters, like Airmantharp's.

Part of my problem might be placement: because my desk is actually a ghetto-tastic repurposed coffee table, the case doesn't fit completely under it; there's a brace in the way. I might "mod" my desk (move the brace higher), or put the case besides the desk. Except for the noise (which is very low, all things considered: like Airmantharp, I replaced the fans in my P183 with quieter ones, and my Silver Arrow is veddy veddy quiet), I really like the FT02; it looks great, the interior cabling is pretty good, and the exterior cabling is the neatest I've seen.

UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I've been looking around for less expensive alternatives to the FT-02, but it just does so much right. Any other case I'd have to replace all of the fans, and on many I'd have to add fan filters and break out a Dremel to increase cable routing options. I'm not opposed to this, but the Fortress is good as is!

Have you looked at the Raven RV-02? As I understand it, it's basically an FT-02 with plastic bits instead of aluminium, and it's a good bit cheaper. I'm not in love with the look though. Edit: Oh, and by "RV-02" I mean "RV-02-E, with the 5 3.5" bays and the air penetrator fans, not the original RV-02.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I've been looking around for less expensive alternatives to the FT-02, but it just does so much right. Any other case I'd have to replace all of the fans, and on many I'd have to add fan filters and break out a Dremel to increase cable routing options. I'm not opposed to this, but the Fortress is good as is!

Have you looked at the Raven RV-02? As I understand it, it's basically an FT-02 with plastic bits instead of aluminium, and it's a good bit cheaper. I'm not in love with the look though. Edit: Oh, and by "RV-02" I mean "RV-02-E, with the 5 3.5" bays and the air penetrator fans, not the original RV-02.

Yes, and it's ugly :). As is the Raven 3, which is floating about (down to 2 180mm fans). I specifically like the front styling of the Fortress, and the 650 Corsair linked above follows that pretty well too.

UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:57 pm

And what about the Fractal Design stuff? Too P180ish for your taste?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:38 pm

And what about the Fractal Design stuff? Too P180ish for your taste?

I'd heard of them a while back, but I haven't bought a case for myself since the P180 was new, and never really looked into them.

Newegg has the Define R3 Black, and while it is definitely P180-ish, I love it! I've been wanting a case with a window this time around, but outside of ponying up for a Fortress FT-02, this case looks like the best value around. I've even toyed getting a cheap $50 Thermaltake case and modding it as needed by replacing all of the fans, cutting routing holes and grilles, and adding fan filters and noise dampening material, and the cost comes to about the same as the Define R3 but with about a third the class. Here is Fractal Design's page on the case.

So, I think I'll get it. In digging through the Egg for fans, I came across this: Scythe Slipstream Kaze Maru2 140mm Series case fan. The two included fans will go to the front of the case for intake, and four of the Scythe fans will go into the bottom intake, side panel intake, and two top exhaust fans. A Corsair H60 will sit on the back as an intake, and two HD6950 2GB cards will be exhausting out the rear with stock HSFs.

Total enclosure cost is about $150 with the extra fans. I also have a collection of Zalman inline resistors that can slow the fans down more if need be, and I'll be mounting external filters on the left panel and rear intake ports after dremeling out the grates.

Thoughts? I wish there were more options for 140mm fans.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Besides the 4-pin PWM fan connector for your CPU, Your new Asus P67 motherboard has two 4-pin PWM chassis fan headers with temperature-based speed control in the EFI BIOS. I therefore suggest shopping for PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) fans.
I use this one: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093206.html
Here's one similar to the fan that you had selected: http://www.directron.com/ty140.html?gsear=1
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:48 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Besides the 4-pin PWM fan connector for your CPU, Your new Asus P67 motherboard has two 4-pin PWM chassis fan headers with temperature-based speed control in the EFI BIOS. I therefore suggest shopping for PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) fans.
I use this one: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093206.html
Here's one similar to the fan that you had selected: http://www.directron.com/ty140.html?gsear=1

Thanks JAE- had to do some digging for reviews, but that 14cm fan looks like it will fit the bill for a PWM fan. The ASRock board I'm looking at however, has only one four-pin connector beyond the CPU fan connector; the other four fan connectors are 3-pin. Do you think I should get one PWM fan for the second 4-pin and just get the standard Scythe fans I linked for the rest? My application of the case above is going to be using four additional 14cm fans beyond the two 12cm fans the case comes with as well as a Corsair H60.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:52 am

Might I ask why you may need that many fans?

It seems that you wouldn't need more than 3-4 fans, especially is you're using the H60.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:08 am

'Need' may not be the appropriate word :).

You'll have to dig into the Newegg pictures and the pictures from the case company's site to follow:

The idea is to have as many possible intake fans, with two 140mm exhaust fans at the top. The system will house not only an overclocked 2500k, but also a pair of unlocked and overclocked AMD HD6950 2GB cards, along with numerous mechanical hard drives. The case comes with two 120mm fans installed with one on the rear and one on the front; the rear fan will be moved to the second front postition. Four additional fans of the 140mm variaty will be purchased for the intake positions on the side panel which blows directly over the GPUs and the bottom between the PSU and the drive cages which feeds directly up into the GPU intakes, with the remaining two mounted as exhausts on the top. The Corsair H60 will be mounted as an intake as well, with the hot air it brings in being immediately exhausted by the top fans. Overall, there will be 3x120mm and 2x140mm intake fans with two GPUs and two 140mm fans exhausting, which should create a positive airflow situation. I have a handful of Zalman in-line resistors that I can use to slow down fans as necessary to balance airflow and noise as well (most likely used on the top exhaust fans).

So, by having excess intake fans, positive air pressure is created inside the case, which yields two results- one, all airflow into the case goes through an intake fan and can be filtered, keeping the case clean, and two, the graphics cards will be 'force-fed' air into their intakes as well as have air flowing over and around them keeping them as cool as possible, and thus reducing their fan speed and noise output. To be clear:

More fans, in this situation, means:
-less dust due to managed intake and exhaust
-a quieter system with many slow larger fans keeping GPU fans at minimum speeds

So, while the system may be 'appropriately' cooled with fewer fans, being as that components will not have heat issues, I would expect a higher incidence of dust as well as GPU fans spinning up to annoying levels, both of which I intend to avoid.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:58 am

JAE/Others interested: what do you think of this NZXT 140mm fan?

It's a fully boxed non-PWM design with closed chassis mounts. I like it because it will fit the bottom mount on the FD Define R3's bottom mount without screws, it matches the included fans, and would seem to fit better in the top and side positions.
Last edited by Airmantharp on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:41 am

riviera74 wrote:
I cannot decide which case I should get for this Sandy Bridge build I would like to get: FT-02B or a 600T. Please advise.

In revisiting the OP after doing a bit of research for myself on the same topic:

Unless you want to add a second HD6850, the cheapest option is the best, no modification required. Either the 600T or 650DW-1 would do; I'd rather have the 650 due to the Graphite series looking pretty garish with an optical drive installed given the otherwise mesh front, and I'm not a fan of it's egg shape.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 am

Airmantharp wrote:

I guess you mean this one. That one is certainly under consideration :D .

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 am

Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:02 pm

riviera74 wrote:

I think you want a lian-li PC-7fn(wx) (w=window & x=black interior)

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... dex=62&g=f

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:48 am

anotherengineer wrote:
riviera74 wrote:

I think you want a lian-li PC-7fn(wx) (w=window & x=black interior)

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... dex=62&g=f

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I once loved Lian-li cases- until I bought one ten years ago. They're so very light that you'll think you got an empty box in the mail, and build quality is extremely pristine, but man, they can't cool for crap and amplify the acoustics of anything you put into them. The case you linked above will suffice for the OP's system with lower power components I have no doubt, but I certainly wouldn't put a dual-graphics solution and heftily overclocked CPU in that case. The noise would be intense!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:53 am

drsauced wrote:

To the OP: if this case will work, it's cheaper than the Fortress 2. The Raven 2 E also looks good if you don't mind the plastic, but I went ahead and picked up the Fractal Design Define R3 Black for my Sandy Bridge upgrade, along with the four NZXT fans I linked above, and some other odds and ends. I'll start a build-log in the System Builders forum and link it here later.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:20 am

Anyone like this newer case from SilverStone? Raven RV03B-W

It looks like a decent alternative to the FT-02.

I found this review from today's shortbread, and I am coming around to it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:35 am

The Raven 2 and 3 are both decent alternatives of the Fortress, if you can stand the looks!