Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

PS3 Network down

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 am

I was just curious of others opinions on the PS3 network being down has any correlation with the Sony attack on the Hackers who rooted their PS3. This is a pretty big deal since the network has been down for almost a week and Sony hasn't said much about it. The group "Anonymous" has said it is not responsible for the attack, but I like the idea "we the people" still have a collective voice in the corporate world.
Ancient 1366 chipset and 6GB of RAM oh and 6950

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: PS3 Network down

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:53 am

You know, the people who really get shafted in all this is the player base. While it sucks for Sony, and it causes additional headache, I don't think it'll impact them in the long run. A bunch of miscreants - and I don't care who the miscreants are nor their "noble reasons" - are ruining the show for everyone.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 am

It doesn't matter who is doing it. It's lame and they should stop. This is no way to protest.

I don't even own a PS3.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:07 pm

It was clearly sweatshopking getting one of his rogue bots to do the dirty work.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Yep really annoying and no benift to anyone.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:12 pm

I'd probably be pissed if I owned a ps3, but I don't. From what I read it was a bunch of dicks with the LOIC firing on various servers. It seemed to coincide nicely with amazon server's going down and consequently, reddit.com.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:36 pm

If Hitler could have made it as an artist, there would have been no Nazi Party. If hackers were cool enough to get laid, there'd be no PSN outage. 'We the people' my pimply ass.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:53 pm

It's annoying at least netlix still works.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

lex-ington

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 pm

It is very annoying. I actually rent some movies from the PSN network (I do not want my credit card attached to netflix and I don't watch enough movies to warrant having a netflix account). The ease of starting a movie download in the morning and then watching it later at night is a bonus for me. My wife wanted to watch a few things that are on the PSN network, not to mention my Tiger Woods 12 not connecting to any servers, and she is even annoyed.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:58 am

Wouldnt it be funny if and when it came up and it was now Pay to play ala Xbox Live! LOL

But in all seriousness, I have always scratched my head at why PS didnt have that revenue stream when it seems to work in spades for Xbox.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:18 am

tanker27 wrote:
Wouldnt it be funny if and when it came up and it was now Pay to play ala Xbox Live! LOL

But in all seriousness, I have always scratched my head at why PS didnt have that revenue stream when it seems to work in spades for Xbox.

I know people who's only reason for getting a ps3 was the free net. It's possible it would have cost them more, especially earlier in the war, to charge for the net.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:40 am

tanker27 wrote:

That's easy. The cheapest Xbox was $200 cheaper than the cheapest PS3 at launch.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
That's easy. The cheapest Xbox was $200 cheaper than the cheapest PS3 at launch.

I never thought of it that way.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:14 pm

Really, this is nothing but Sony's fault in my opinion. I work for a web-hosting company and if your data-center has its crap together not only will they be able to null-route IP's correctly but also should own and have a RioRey connected to the whole downstream of the network to avoid such attacks.

The fact that none of this is properly set-up, let alone that it has been more than a week without a competent solution, just shows how weak of a player Sony is compared to Microsoft and Nintendo.

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:28 pm

StuG wrote:
Really, this is nothing but Sony's fault in my opinion. I work for a web-hosting company and if your data-center has its crap together not only will they be able to null-route IP's correctly but also should own and have a RioRey connected to the whole downstream of the network to avoid such attacks.

The fact that none of this is properly set-up, let alone that it has been more than a week without a competent solution, just shows how weak of a player Sony is compared to Microsoft and Nintendo.

You don't know if the service is down due to an attack. All they've said is it's related to an "external intrusion". Rumor has it they took it down on purpose because of a newish firmware hack that allows someone to log into PSN as a developer, and do all kinds of special things (like give themselves PSN money). If that is true, then it's understandable that they are taking their time in trying to plug the hole. Think of it like a store who had a whole wall or two knocked out and all the merch was just there for the taking. You bet your boots that store is going to close down until they get it fixed (or have enough people to prevent theft).
Vae victus.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:23 pm

It's worse than you think.

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe.

However

To be fair, Sony does apologize for the inconvenience.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:53 am

Hmm maybe some good can come of this for me and I can get my Tanker27 tag back! (Damn people stealing my online persona :P )
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:01 am

Well, I have a PSN account. I have a debit card tied to that PSN account. Guess it's time to call my bank.

I don't understand the celebration surrounding all this - there are still people in the schoolyard shouting "IN YOUR FACE SONY!" where it's the users getting shafted. Xbox fanboys, mostly.

It truly sucks that I'm going to have to get my debit card cancelled (though so far watching my online statement like a hawk - nothing has been charged to me so far) and it's a disappointment that the service is down, but if they're taking this downtime as an opportunity to improve security, you won't hear me complain. My CU won't hold me responsible for fraudulent charges, though hopefully I'm fast enough this morning getting it fixed that there won't be any. And I have to change a password or two that used the same password as my PSN account. That's really the best thing you can do if you have a PSN account.

lex-ington

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:36 am

This is the main reason I only use PSN cards. I go through the list of available games/movies, tally up the amount I need, then buy the appropriate card. I don't fit the consumer bracket online stores are looking for in any way.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:42 am

My debit card was tied to my account as well. Called the bank and canceled it first thing this morning. Kind of sucks, but I'm not willing to take the chance that some r-tard on teh interwebs has my billing address and card number now.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 am

All things considered, it looks like they did more or less the right thing:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... sn-points/

We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:44 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
All things considered, it looks like they did more or less the right thing

Not sure I agree with that. IMO they should've stated that the personal data was *potentially* compromised sooner, and not waited for confirmation. A lot of credit card fraud could've taken place in the intervening days...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 am

I feel like (as a user of a service) you have to assume that CC info is compromised when you find out about "external invasions" or whatever stupid nomenclature of the day gets used and that it'd be wrong for Sony to be speculating one way or another. also I didn't say "the exact right thing", I did say "more or less". :p

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Point taken. But in my case, I guess the emphasis would be on the "less"! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

blorbic5
Gerbil

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:24 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

The right thing would be giving out a free year of identity protection to all the victims.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:29 pm

blorbic5 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

The right thing would be giving out a free year of identity protection to all the victims.

That crap doesnt work.

The right thing to do is for those that have had fraud on the accounts, Sony ponies up and pays.......for everything.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 pm

That doesn't really make any sense, either. The right thing to do clearly is to find the people responsible and make an example out of them. All any online service can do is make things as hard as possible to get into (and they made it nearly 5 years, mind you) and then set up safety checks to make sure you find out about weird activity. For all intents and purposes, Sony's security worked - they were alerted to being hacked.

Believe me, I'm pissed, but daydreaming about reparations is a waste of everyone's time. They may get smacked down by a governmental agency (multiple ones even, since this affects more than America's jurisdiction alone) but for a consumer to think they'll see a penny of it is a fairy tale told to make kids feel better.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 pm

PlayStation Network e-mail wrote:
===================================
PlayStation(R)Network
===================================

Valued PlayStation(R)Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:
- U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit http://www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

- We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below:

Experian: 888-397-3742; http://www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; http://www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; http://www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

- You may wish to visit the website of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or http://www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or http://www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:02 pm

I got the same email this morning.

Now it appears that there hasn't, at least yet, been any evidence of bad charges. So far, anyhow.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 7B7PI8.DTL

Spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co., American Express Co. and MasterCard Inc. said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn't seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co., American Express Co. and MasterCard Inc. said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn't seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony.

Thats a dubious statement. Are they looking just for new "Sony" activity or are they looking for ANY unusual activity?

Anyways Ars posts this.

"The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. "
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')