Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

ken valkyrie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Airport Extreme Security

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 am

We just got the Airport Extreme 802.11n router and will be running on DSL.
Do you think this Airport router is as secure as hardwiring the DSL direct ?
:-?

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Re: Airport Extreme Security

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:45 am

If everything is hardwired directly and you don't use wireless everything is just as secure. Wireless is never as secure as a wired connection generally because a wired connection needs physical access to the building. Wireless can be hacked and spoofed but it is very secure if you use the latest encryption. AES+WPA2 is the encryption you should use as it has still not been successfully hacked.
Last edited by mmmmmdonuts21 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:57 am

This should really be combined with your other thread, as you asked the exact same question there. Answer-wise, I agree with mmmm.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ken valkyrie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 pm

You are right FG.. But once I spotted the Apple Sanctuary I figured it would be better there, I,ll learn :oops:

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

the men in black are not after you, bro

airport extreme is fine to use wirelessly, there would be no point in owning one if you dont take advantage of the wireless printing

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:47 am

potatochobit wrote:
there would be no point in owning one if you dont take advantage of the wireless printing

This I agree with. As far as feature set vs. cost goes, the AEBS wins hands down. Built in AFP/SMB NAS server AND print server AND wireless router AND Gigabit Ethernet switch all in one. Yes, they're $180, but I have not ever seen an all-in-one router/server like this before. I back up to one via the Acronis True Image 2011 Home Edition on my wife's computer (because MS removed network backup from Home Premium) and via the Win7 Pro built-in backup on my PC, and I have Bonjour Printer Services for Windows printing to a Brother laser printer. It completely negated the need for a 3rd PC for me, plus it draws next to nothing power-wise. I don't even own a Mac and this thing is ridiculously powerful.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen