Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

P8P67 Deluxe Double-Booting / Can't Shutdown

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:53 pm

This relates to a B3 Revision Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard:

I'm having an issue whereby whenever I turn on the PC it does a double-post before starting Windows, and then when I perform a shutdown it turns itself off but then 5 seconds later it turns itself back on again. The only way I can shut down completely is by turning off the power switch at the PSU and then when I turn the switch back on the PC turns itself on, which it shouldn't do due to there being a ATX power button on the case.

I was running the 1305 BIOS when I first started experiencing this and I had read stories about enabling the “Power on by PCIe” function in the BIOS to resolve the issue, this definitely worked and the machine was rock solid for a period of time, but then stupidity overcame me and when the latest BIOS update became available I stupidly upgraded to 1503 without a second thought, now the problem is back and I cannot find any combination of BIOS settings that will resolve the issue, I can't even downgrade the BIOS to the previous stable version.
Upgrading to 1503 also introduced a new problem, the machine randomly freezes a few times a day, there is no rhyme or rythmn as to the freezes. From what I've been reading on other hardware sites this seems to be an issue across the spectrum of P8P67 models, from the Pro to the Evo to the Deluxe boards.

I'm not overclocking and I've tried many combinations of BIOS tweaks, adjusting memory timings etc but everytime I turn on the PC it says that overclocking has failed.
I'm using 16GB of Corsair Dominators which are listed on the HCL for this motherboard so I doubt there are RAM incompatibilities. In fact the Corsair website lists these modules as the recommended modules to use with this board.

This leaves me a little perplexed and a little annoyed. Thoughts?
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: P8P67 Deluxe Double-Booting / Can't Shutdown

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:00 pm

:o

That's what my machine's been doing! The double-POST stuff anyway.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: P8P67 Deluxe Double-Booting / Can't Shutdown

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that if I resolve the double-post, it will resolve the other issues too, they just seem connected. I'm *hoping* that Asus release an updated BIOS revision that addresses these sorts of issues.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-