Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mortal Kombat

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Has anybody else picked up the new one, or at least played the demo on XBL or PSN? Holy crap...I haven't had this much fun with a MK game since MK2 in the arcade way back when. The game isn't perfect, but it is easily superior to the likes of Deadly Alliance, Deception, etc. I bought mine for the PS3, so I haven't played it online yet, but I have played my fair share of 1v1 multiplayer with some friends and it is a lot of fun. I haven't even tried the 2v2 mode yet, but I'll be sure to love it given how much I used to whore myself for quarters to play Tekken Tag Tournament.

If I had to pick a favorite character to play as, I think I would have to pick between Smoke and Noob Saibot. They play absolutely nothing like they did back in the day of being nothing more than a palette swap of Scorpion. Noob is the master at keeping people at distance, and Smoke is great at confusing the opponent and has some pretty good juggling options. Granted, I've only been playing the full version of the game since yesterday, so my favorite characters may very well change.

For those with the PS3 version, hit me up on PSN (if and when it comes back up) and send me a game invite. Don't forget to share your opinion of the game. For those with the 360 version, feel free to discuss your opinions of the game. I'm really curious to everybody's favorite character.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Mortal Kombat

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:16 pm

I knew who started this thread before I ever clicked on the title. :lol:

I've been really shying away from MK for quite a while - I played 1-4 quite a bit (the first 3 on Genesis, and 4 on PC - it supported GLide!) but never really got into the later games. Played a bit of whichever one came out first for the original Xbox (Deadly Alliance, I think) but not any since then. I own UMK3 on XBLA and MK2 on PSN and still like to play them sometimes.

Does this game play more like the first couple games? I dug the MK-style special moves better than Street Fighter because it felt more like you were doing the moves on the joystick or gamepad. It was great. It started getting incredibly over-complicated with UMK3's and MK4's plethora of finishing moves, but I stuck with it at least for a while.

Might have to give it a rent just for nostalgia.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I knew who started this thread before I ever clicked on the title. :lol:
You know me so well. ;)
derFunkenstein wrote:
Does this game play more like the first couple games?
It reminds me of a cross of MK2 and MK3 minus the run button. There are (I think) up to 4 fatalities per character, so it's not as ridiculous as MK3 and onward. Though I've recently read that Babalities are back...for whatever reason.
derFunkenstein wrote:
Might have to give it a rent just for nostalgia.
I can't recommend the game enough if you're a fan of the old MK games.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Fan, yes. Good at them, absolutely not. I believe I went something like 1-9 against you in SSF2THDR. In an MK game, I'm pretty sure that'd extend to 1-19. :lol:

I'm glad to see the Run button gone. Definitely want to check this out.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:27 pm

I checked out the demo and didn't really like it.

And I am NOT paying $70 for a game - unless its Tiger Woods/Elder Scrolls or Final Fantasy.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:22 am

Lex...what did you not like about it? Are you a fighting game fan in general? I've noticed that at first the combat doesn't seem too deep, but after playing it a bit more, I'm noticing a lot more potential for combos and juggles. Not to mention combos into juggles and/or X-Ray attacks. I can't wait to play this game online.