Changing SATA controllers on Boot SSD?

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Changing SATA controllers on Boot SSD?

Postposted on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:39 pm

I've been getting some BSOD supposedly caused by the Marvell driver (mv91xx.sys) on my board. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 off the Marvell controller and the BSOD happen just after boot. I've updated the driver in question, flashed the BIOS to the most current, all my apps and the OS are up-to-date and the system is virus/malware-free. Unfortunately as you may already know Marvell doesn't offer much support for their controllers. The latest official driver for the 88SE91xx came out in Nov 2010, which would be fine but SATA 6Gps is still relatively new technology and I'm not the only one having problems with it. There is an unofficial driver at station-drivers.com but I haven't tried it yet.

Anyway I want to move the drive (Crucial RealSSD 128G) from the Marvell port to an Intel port. I'd like to do this for 2 reasons, to confirm it is the Marvell driver causing the BSOD and also to run a FW update from Crucial (the update won't run off any drop-in HBAs).

My question is - since Crucial doesn't address it in their FW guide - should Windows boot okay after the drive's been moved? I know it'd be fine if I were moving between the SB/ICH ports...but moving between 2 different controllers?

The guide Crucial posted never mentions anything about what to do if the SSD is your boot drive. It basically just says, "do it right and you won't have any data loss."

What do you think? Should it boot okay or will I probably be reinstalling Windows...?

Well, thanks you guys for reading my tale of woe! I guess I could just try moving it, see what happens. But I wanted to run it by you guys first. Thanks again!
canoli
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Changing SATA controllers on Boot SSD?

Postposted on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Assuming the controller doesn't do anything funky (and it shouldn't) I don't see any reason that it wouldn't boot when connected to the ICH10 controller versus the Marvell controller.
Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB | 770 | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 1 TB WD Black w/ SRT
Waco
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:19 pm

http://www.fanhow.com/knowhow:Fix_Windo ... D_69186884

If this doesn't do it, change the controller to IDE, because AHCI doesn't give you as many advantages with SSDs as it should.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks you guys!

I should've said - I installed Win with AHCI enabled. So thanks meadows but I guess that particular BSOD doesn't apply to my situation. What I did instead of fooling with the Marvell drivers (for now) I just rolled back the driver to the msahci.

At first my Write speeds were horrendous (40Mb/s) but after a few boots they went back up to where they were with the first Marvell driver - best part, no BSOD yet. I'm getting 355Mb/s Reads and 145Mb/s Writes (64K). I can live with that.

The first Marvell driver I installed back in October gave me great performance but it sometimes crashed the system after boot - only if I tried opening a resource-heavy app before the background services loaded. If I waited a minute or so it was fine, never crashed.

But then MSI posted a new Marvell SATA III driver (1.0.0.1047 WHQL) and once I installed that the performance went to hell and the BSOD became more common. I didn't really notice the performance hit - AfterFX CS4 still opened in 8 seconds flat - but the numbers were god-awful (30Mb/s Writes 120Mb/s Reads (64K)).

I may just stick with the msahci configuration for awhile. I still have to move the SSD temporarily (and change to IDE) to do the firmware update on the SSD. But at least now I have some options on the SATA III ports. I may even try the Beta driver that Marvell released awhile back - ASUS has it posted for their X58 boards and it's been on station-drivers.com for awhile. Apparently MSI doesn't post Beta drivers from what I understand.

Thanks again for your replies. I appreciate it!
canoli
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Storage