Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

panthal
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mobile question

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Sirs,

Does Techreport have a mobile version? Is it a specific link or does the website try to switch to the right format depending on the device?(does device aware exist?)

I actually have a Kindle 3,and it has an experimental browser that works surprisingly well when bored when your out and about.

Thanks ~:)

*edit* I do now see the "mobile" link on the front page,but clicking it doesn't change the format at all. I'm guessing this is a specific bug for the kindles weak browser? lol.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Mobile question

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 pm

No, the "Mobile" link filters for "mobile" news/reviews, just like the "CPUs" link filters for CPU news/reviews. AFAIK there isn't (yet) a mobile-specific version of TR, though certain people have promised one is coming eventually (and now that the site redesign seems to be mostly complete, maybe that's finally sooner rather than later). I find the "news" version of TR ( techreport.com/news.x ) works better than the normal frontpage on many mobile devices.

The browser in the Kindle is labelled "experimental" for a reason, and from what I've seen "mobile-specific" sites (or stylesheets) don't render any better on it than normal sites do (try the bbc mobile site for example). It's nice that the browser is there for use in a pinch, but it doesn't really qualify as a feature AFAIC.

panthal
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks!

And yeah the browser in it is pretty ...weak at the moment. Still its nice its there at all :)

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Um, I think if you picket outside of Damage labs, INC. you can get us either a mobile version or tapatalk. :D
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر