Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What unusual things do you do to your Windows install?

Fri May 06, 2011 6:35 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
mikeymike wrote:
Everything on my systray is what I want to see.

The Taskbar Notification Area is not, nor has it ever been, the Systray.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/arc ... 54831.aspx

That's pretty funny! Just goes to show how things like that can take on a life of their own.

At the end of the day, what matters is when people talk about the "systray", we all know what they mean.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 am

When installing windows I uninstall the windows games straight away.
Who actually plays solitaire any more anyhow?

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 am

MaxTheLimit wrote:
When installing windows I uninstall the windows games straight away.
Who actually plays solitaire any more anyhow?

I like the fireworks display on Vista/7 :P

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri May 06, 2011 3:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
That's pretty funny! Just goes to show how things like that can take on a life of their own.

At the end of the day, what matters is when people talk about the "systray", we all know what they mean.

Aye, it's a fun fact. It also apparently still matters a great deal to Chen and his team. As the actual text in the OS now pushes back against this misnomer as well.

All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 06, 2011 4:03 pm

I completely disable UAC.
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri May 06, 2011 5:20 pm

JdL wrote:
I completely disable UAC.

Link
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 06, 2011 5:55 pm

I don't understand why anyone would disable Superfetch. Owning an SSD is not an excuse. RAM is faster than an SSD. I don't want my RAM sitting idle - if I did that - what's the point of having it?

The only somewhat odd thing I do is move my swap and temporary locations over to my striped scratch array of old(ish) 250 GB Hitachi drives. I know putting the page file on my SSD array would be faster...but I can't remember the last time I actually ran into swap and it tends to speed things up to have temporary files extract there (instead of making copies on my OS array).

I guess the other "weird" thing I do is set my HDDs to never spin down. I don't see the point in power/temperature cycling them for no reason.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri May 06, 2011 7:32 pm

TheWacoKid wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would disable Superfetch. Owning an SSD is not an excuse. RAM is faster than an SSD. I don't want my RAM sitting idle - if I did that - what's the point of having it?

The only somewhat odd thing I do is move my swap and temporary locations over to my striped scratch array of old(ish) 250 GB Hitachi drives. I know putting the page file on my SSD array would be faster...but I can't remember the last time I actually ran into swap and it tends to speed things up to have temporary files extract there (instead of making copies on my OS array).

I guess the other "weird" thing I do is set my HDDs to never spin down. I don't see the point in power/temperature cycling them for no reason.

Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives

How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery