Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Tue May 03, 2011 4:54 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... 9-Crysis-2

Yahtzee wrote:
Cyrsis 2 seems to have gone out of it's way to piss off PC gamers, which is particualy cruel considering how PC gamers traditionally used it as a kind of ritualistic trial by fire for their processors.

The controls seem less complicated, which is always the best way to alienate the PC crowd who just don't want to know if you haven't mapped at least five function keys.

It's funny because it's true.

I'd note for those who won't watch Yahtzee's full review:

Yahtzee wrote:
Before we go further I should say that I liked Crysis 2 a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. And do you know why? Because it paces itself.

[...]

Overall I guess the final arugment one can hang over Crysis 2 - like an amusing mobile - is that it is definitely above whatever fetid set of values passes for average these days.

For a man whose schtick is tearing games apart, high praise indeed.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue May 03, 2011 5:01 pm

David wrote:
Speaking of linear game play. Since when did linear become the worst design choice a developer could make?

Never, I wasn't implying it was bad by itself. But the fact that the first game was semi-open was a strength in my book, and the sequel felt oversimplified. Maybe I could have stomached that if they kept the rest, but hey.

Also, I will chastise a game that pretends to give you freedom of choice and really doesn't over one that's linear to begin with.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

AbRASiON

Tue May 03, 2011 5:11 pm

adam1378 wrote:
I have been playing Crysis 2 this morning and I could not stop thinking how I am not impressed. I know it is a sequel but I am still impressed with the first game even now. This version really feels like a console port and it makes me kind of bitter. I noticed it first when the first cut scene was playing and the characters were not very detailed. Further playing into the game revealed a lack of creativity allowed to progress. It was point and shoot and run, repeat, repeat, repeat. I does look good but there are small console dumbness like vehicles not usable and objects that are permanent. Honestly Crysis 2 reminds me more like a sequel to the original F.E.A.R. I don't know if I was expecting better or more of the same but Crysis 2 is definitely neither.

Un-install it, it's an un-inspiring game - terrible atmosphere, gunplay and feel. I was very very disappointed. I loved Crysis 1 also.
Don't force yourself through the game - I tried to like it but it's just a shadow of the original.

Go get Portal 2.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 03, 2011 5:40 pm

morphine wrote:
Never, I wasn't implying it was bad by itself. But the fact that the first game was semi-open was a strength in my book, and the sequel felt oversimplified. Maybe I could have stomached that if they kept the rest, but hey.

Also, I will chastise a game that pretends to give you freedom of choice and really doesn't over one that's linear to begin with.

That wasn't specifically directed at you or ME2. A great linear game always gets a "It's the game of the year, but it would be better if it had open environments" or some such. If it's awesome, don't think of how it can be more awesome. Just have fun.

AbRASiON wrote:

Un-install it, it's an un-inspiring game - terrible atmosphere, gunplay and feel. I was very very disappointed. I loved Crysis 1 also.
Don't force yourself through the game - I tried to like it but it's just a shadow of the original.

Go get Portal 2.

But it's short and won't bring my system to it's knees. How can it be fun?
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 03, 2011 5:53 pm

David wrote:
But it's short and won't bring my system to it's knees. How can it be fun?

That's what i thought too. it's a bit fun. not as fun as the first, and the graphics are outdated. it's a meh. I'd wait till it was a lot cheaper.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue May 03, 2011 5:58 pm

morphine wrote:
[..]is gone, inventory management and outfitting is gone, money management is gone in favor of plain-jane "oh, you've unlocked this!". Heat mechanic is gone, replaced with standard ammo, which is really the only way of balancing out a fight because the baddies are so laughably bad that I'd just snipe everyone if I had the bullets. Many missions are nothing but a corridor with enemies and that's it, or go-here-grab-object. And people complained about the mining stuff on the first one...

So yes, Mass Effect 2 is a much better movie than the first. Only it's a much worse, dumbed-down, repetitive game.

I have three level 60's in ME1, which essentially means I've wasted some odd nine or ten FULL playthroughs of the game. Steam puts my total game time at an embarassing 310 hours.

Money management did NOT exist in ME1. The money counter maxes out at 9,999,999 and that value becomes laughably easy to acheive as you close in on level 40 (first playthrough). Any subsequent playthroughs after the first game results in you having more money than you can spend. The early levels are balanced properly - one might even argue that money is TOO tight in the early game of ME1 (first twenty levels or so) - but as levels climb the scaling breaks. Late game you find yourself drowning in money.

By comparison there is money management in ME2. There is an exact - fixed - amount of income to obtain through out the course of the game. If you want all those upgrades you must do a full clear and you must scour and find every last cache of money. Otherwise you will be forced into choices on which upgrades you will or will not unlock for yourself and your squadmates.

This ties into the inventory management.

Inventory management in ME1 was nothing but a chore. The vast majority of weapon mods were worthless and many of them them don't even scale into the late game. At level 60 all you care about are the exact same three level X modifications. In fact in terms of gear all you care about is the SPECTRE X gear sold by the vendors. Once you've obtained that drops don't even matter anymore other than finding the missing mods you're looking for. As such every time you come back to the ship you spend the next five minutes selling every last item out of your inventory. Since you're already at money cap you don't actually get anything out of this chore either.

That task is then followed up by another five to ten minutes of working through your squad mates and make every last one of them clones of each other. All SPECTRE X gear, all the same X levels modifications, and even all the same level X armor.

At which point, really, how is it any different than ME2? It isn't, it just doesn't waste my time to get there.

The heat mechanic was removed because it was BROKE. Late game with the higher end weapons and modifications you could fire your gun forever. It became impossible for a gun to overheat at which point it ceases to be a limiting mechanic. They had no choice but to fix this oversight and so ammo made the return.

I have level 60 Shepards in ME1 that even on Insanity are quite litterally invincible. No exaggeration. I cannot under any circumstance die. I can stand still surrounded by enemies shooting me and they cannot kill me on Insanity!

ME2 fixed that and a whole lot more. ME2 is the superior game from a mechanics perspective.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Well you know, doing a rerun through the game, you'd kind of expected to be overpowered, and with credits rolling in. Granted, they could have thought of it better for the second run, but the initial run is balanced, so I'm cool with that.

Besides, while you call the inventory management in ME1 a chore and that money is too tight, well, that's precisely why I find it most interesting and adding depth, because it makes you make choices that better suit your playstyles and abilities, and consider well where you're going to spend your hard-earned credits. So I guess that to each his own regarding that.

Also, I could buy every weapon in ME2 without even trying hard. There's little to no exploration to be done, so it was a matter of, in the end, better weapons being unlocked through the game, period. No challenge. Maybe I mechanized the fight style a bit too well (not that I think that I'm a l33t pr0 or anything), but apart from a couple of bits, I found the battles to be horribly easy. I didn't feel neither mentally nor "physically" challenged (i.e. shooting) with the game at all. Just played through the end for the story, conversations, environments, etc. The game to me felt like a little more than corridor runs strung together.

I suppose that in the end you guys prefer the simplified mechanics, to me it just didn't feel like Mass Effect anymore, save for the story itself, obviously. Just don't get me started on the ridiculous amounts of awards and overrating that it got. :lol:
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Kamisaki
Gerbil

Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 am

Oh boy. I know this is probably going to be an exercise in futility, but here goes.

Ryu Connor wrote:

I understand fine that's not where the issue is. Until you begin to critically think about the gaming market you will continue to not understand.

Need I point out the myriad of titles that were first run releses that were successfull?

Halo? Gears of War? Bioshock? Uncharted? Alan Wake? God of War? Dante's Inferno? Dead Space?

You don't need brand recognition to break into the video game market. My god, just look at Minecraft as an example of that.

It doesn't seem like you understand the definition of "risk," so here it is:
risk - exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance

When I said that Crytek is taking on additional risk by entering a new market, I didn't mean that there was no chance they can succeed there, just that they are introducing additional uncertainty compared to sticking to the market they're already established in. This isn't a bad thing, though. All companies have to take risks, and plenty of success stories come from taking risks. It's just not a sure thing.

All those examples you cite of successful first run releases in no way disprove my point, because for every one of those, there are dozens of titles that never sell more than a couple hundred thousand units. Wet, Section 8, Singularity, Mirror's Edge, Call of Juarez, Split Second, Blur, Vanquish, Dark Sector, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, need I go on? Just look through a list of all the games released in a given year and you'll see a handful that are as successful as the multimillion sellers you're using as examples. So yes, releasing any game is risky, there's always a chance that you'll lose money on it, but publishers use the money they get from the blockbusters to fund all the rest and spread out the risk as best they can.

Ryu Connor wrote:
Funny. You're arguing from a weak and inaccurate position and somehow I'm trolling you. Nay, sir. You are trolling yourself.

Again, Halo, Gears of War no longer exist on PC and make mad money. Alan Wake was slated to be on PC and dropped that support and.... wait for it... made money.

The PC market is not necessary to make money. I have an entire market worth of examples. You have.... well nothing.

It's a lot easier to knock down straw men than to actually argue against my points, isn't it? I never said the PC market is necessary to make money, just that the PC market is the only one that Crytek had any experience making money in. It's obviously possible for them to make money on consoles, even a lot more money than they were making on PC, but it's by no means a sure thing. And guess what, the sales numbers that Nexus 6 posted seem to back up my point. Adding up all three platforms, Crysis 2 has sold about 1.5 million copies so far, which is pretty good for a first time entry on consoles, but quite a ways off from the sales figures of Crysis 1. Hopefully their production costs were lower for this one, though, it should be enough for them to be profitable, at least.

As a side note, I find it kind of funny that you're using Alan Wake as a shining example of a new IP that can make money. That game just barely broke a million copies sold, which sounds fine, but it was in development for at least 5 years, and probably longer. Microsoft cut off development of the DLC for it early, and there hasn't been any hint of a sequel. There's no way that Alan Wake was profitable. Of course, it likely wouldn't have been profitable even if they had done the PC version, but that's neither here nor there.

You're spot on about Mass Effect 2, though. It wasn't perfect, but it improved on the first game in so many ways that I find it a little difficult to go back and play ME1 now.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Crysis 2 has sold about 1.5 million copies so far, which is pretty good for a first time entry on consoles, but quite a ways off from the sales figures of Crysis 1.

Wikipedia asserts otherwise.

According to The simExchange, the NPD Group reported that Crysis moved 86,633 retail units in the first two weeks of its release in North America[32], but while it beat their expectations, the sales were considered disappointing overall.[33] Two months later, on Electronic Arts' earnings conference of the quarter, it was reported that Crysis had reached the 1 million units mark, and that it had exceeded their expectations.

Looks like Crysis 2 is selling better than Crysis 1, if your 1.5 million figure is accurate.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhf-IIZd ... ideo_title

I thought this a decent and short example of how Crysis 2 can still channel some of the large expansive green areas of the first.

Spoilers in the video.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3079-Crysis-2

If you havent, go look at his ZP for the origintal Portal... its a shocker comming from him. Actually looking at ZP of portal 2 right now...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... 3-Portal-2

Ryu Connor wrote:
I have three level 60's in ME1, which essentially means I've wasted some odd nine or ten FULL playthroughs of the game. Steam puts my total game time at an embarassing 310 hours.
Just a question as somebody that are doing the first playthrough of ME1 right now, some 30 hours into it... what does the level and experience impact once you move on to ME2, i.e. after I'm done with the first playthrough, do I get anything by doing another run maxing up the levels/paragon/renegade and going into Spectre X territory.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu May 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Maxing out Intimidation or Charm (the talents) have no impact, but maxing out the Paragon or Renegade bars provides an import bonus to ME1. As does the amount of money you collected and your present level.

ME1's Paragon and Renegade system has some pretty big flaws, among them is the ability to max both Paragon and Renegade to full by end game. This allows for a great deal of flexibility at the begining of ME2. Not that the level bonus and money bonus boost aren't quite spiffy too.

You can find more precise details of the import here:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Import

To TLDR it: Being level 60, having more than one milllion credits, and having max Paragon and/or Renegade bars introduces advantages.

There are some other things I'd suggest/recommend, but they are ME2 specific and so they can wait until you're ready for ME2.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks, I'll chime in once again at that time perhaps. And I'll probably dive into the wiki abit more. I've read a fair bit already, because from the start I really never considered a second playthrough and wanted a good path into ME2/3 from the start.

Its really a testament to how good the game is, or perhaps its just me thats crazy, that I can read a fair bit of the wiki and still get full enjoyment of the game, although I do avoid some of the more obvious things I shouldnt know about. But then, I love the behind the scenes stuff in movies too so...

Kamisaki
Gerbil

Thu May 05, 2011 8:26 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
Crysis 2 has sold about 1.5 million copies so far, which is pretty good for a first time entry on consoles, but quite a ways off from the sales figures of Crysis 1.

According to The simExchange, the NPD Group reported that Crysis moved 86,633 retail units in the first two weeks of its release in North America[32], but while it beat their expectations, the sales were considered disappointing overall.[33] Two months later, on Electronic Arts' earnings conference of the quarter, it was reported that Crysis had reached the 1 million units mark, and that it had exceeded their expectations.

Looks like Crysis 2 is selling better than Crysis 1, if your 1.5 million figure is accurate.

Let me clarify a bit. You are correct that based on the amount of time the game has been out, Crysis 2 is selling well compared to the first one. (On the consoles at least. The PC sales numbers are pretty dismal.) But from that same Wikipedia article, it states that Crysis 1 has sold about 3 million copies to date. What I meant was that Crysis 2 still has a ways to go to reach that figure. Certainly not impossible, but it's also apparent that Crysis 2 is not the COD level blockbuster that it seems Crytek was going for. Also, just because Crysis 2 has sold faster out of the gates doesn't necessarily mean that it will continue to do so. As Nexus 6 said, the sales have slowed dramatically already. Crysis 1, on the other hand got most of its sales after that initial 2 month period. This makes a lot of sense to me, since it was such a hardware benchmark type game. Gamers who couldn't run Crysis when it came out bought it when they upgraded their computers. This obviously won't be true at all for the console versions of Crysis 2, and seems unlikely for the PC version, since Crysis 2 isn't that taxing on the hardware.

NeXus 6

Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Homefront kills Crysis 2 in sales totals

Although Homefront has been in the chart for one more week than Crytek's shooter (as of the 16th April 2011), the figures speak for themselves. The Xbox 360 version to date (after 4 weeks of data) has sold in the region of 692,037 units, averaging at around 60,000 per week. Whereas Homefront proudly garners 1,046,013 sales after 5 weeks of chart data.

lol

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

Well when they release Crysis 3 console port watch the number of sales fall because they stabbed the Legacy purchasers in the back.
Ancient 1366 chipset and 6GB of RAM oh and 6950

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Also, considering the aim for crysis, vs homefront, vs CoD... have any "alien" future shooter ever sold as well as a current era military shooter of the same or larger stature... I think theres a potential in those kinds of stories, but from my view, the current era military shooters are what flies of the shelves. Alhtough I have a hard time really placing games like Gears oF War and Killzone in either of those genres, because I really havent played em at all. I wouldnt be surprised if the same things shows in movie-views/sales... current era military action blockbusters vs. science fiction action blockbusters, etc.

Also, Crysis 2 is the first real console release from crytek, so even though EA spun commercials on it, etc, are people betting that much on unknown territory? Of course, that would go against Homefront vs. CoD as well I guess.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 06, 2011 5:20 pm

What I meant was that Crysis 2 still has a ways to go to reach that figure.

Which is fair to say, but it's practically meaningless: Crysis has been out for years, Crysis 2 has been out for months. While I recognize that a game's sales will typically see the biggest numbers shortly after release, there certainly is a trickling effect over time.

In short, Crysis 2 has 50% of its predecessors sales in a tiny fraction of the time that predecessor has been available. It's also been selling faster than its predecessor, at least 'til now.

None of this speaks about the game's quality, of course, but if we're going to analyze numbers, we may as well analyze correctly, ya know?

EDIT:

Crysis 1, on the other hand got most of its sales after that initial 2 month period.

Not according to Wikipedia; one-third of Crysis' sales came in that initial 2 month period, which (if your earlier 1.5 million number is accurate) is 33% fewer sales than its successor.
Last edited by SPOOFE on Fri May 06, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Well when they release Crysis 3 console port watch the number of sales fall because they stabbed the Legacy purchasers in the back.

If Crysis 3's sales numbers fall, I guarantee it won't be because they stabbed anybody in the back.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri May 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Worth noting of course that those sales numbers are not official. They are best guesses and they lack digital sales (which matters for the PC side of the house).

The game may well have over two million copies sold now. We don't know and won't know for sure unless EA or Crytek decide to issue a press release.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 06, 2011 5:26 pm

Edit by the person unable to use forum software, Ryu Connor:

Spoofe, I screwed up and hit the edit button instead of the quote button and didn't even f'ing realize until after I'd hit submit and damaged your post. I'm really sorry.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 06, 2011 6:16 pm

WHOOPS!!! :lol:

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Speaking about crysis... steam has crysis day today with crysis and warhead for 75% off... those are two games I already have, but I picked up ME2 at mass effect day yesterday.

Yay steam.

Kamisaki
Gerbil

Sat May 07, 2011 2:34 am

SPOOFE wrote:
What I meant was that Crysis 2 still has a ways to go to reach that figure.

Which is fair to say, but it's practically meaningless: Crysis has been out for years, Crysis 2 has been out for months. While I recognize that a game's sales will typically see the biggest numbers shortly after release, there certainly is a trickling effect over time.

In short, Crysis 2 has 50% of its predecessors sales in a tiny fraction of the time that predecessor has been available. It's also been selling faster than its predecessor, at least 'til now.

None of this speaks about the game's quality, of course, but if we're going to analyze numbers, we may as well analyze correctly, ya know?

Yes, I recognize Crysis 2 has been selling faster than the first one, but I already gave my reasons why I think it likely will not continue to sell at that same rate.

Crysis 1, on the other hand got most of its sales after that initial 2 month period.

Not according to Wikipedia; one-third of Crysis' sales came in that initial 2 month period, which (if your earlier 1.5 million number is accurate) is 33% fewer sales than its successor.

OK, I don't know what your issue is with my statement here. I said Crysis 1 had most of its sales after the first two months. You say one third came in the first two months, which means two thirds came after that, which which means most of its sales came after the first 2 months. You're agreeing with me even as you try to correct me.

And Ryu, you're right of course about the uncertain sales figures. Time will tell, hopefully.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes, I recognize Crysis 2 has been selling faster than the first one, but I already gave my reasons why I think it likely will not continue to sell at that same rate.

Okay, I see. Back originally it looked like you were claiming that the first game sold faster than its predecessor.

But sure, I can understand the prediction that console game sales will drop off quicker. It makes sense; there's more turnover in the console world, and people are regularly upgrading hardware in their PC's and going back through games that they might have not bought at release because they didn't expect to be able to run it.

So all right; in two years I'll take a peek, for my own curiosity, at Crysis 2 sales numbers and see if they'd hit 3 million. Y'know, if I remember or care in two years. :D

hich which means most of its sales came after the first 2 months. You're agreeing with me even as you try to correct me.

Well, the "correction" was more like "confusion". When you're talking about sales figures "so far", I thought you were directly comparing the first couple months of each game's sales. It's obvious that Crysis 2 has done better in sales than the original, but everyone expected that: It's got a larger install base. And while I agree that PC games probably have more staying power and can accrue plenty more sales over the years, the unfortunate fact is that developers and publishers look at the short-term bottom line, and whichever platform can deliver higher sales in a few months will be preferable to one that could pay off over a longer timeline.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 am

SPOOFE wrote:

Okay, I see. Back originally it looked like you were claiming that the first game sold faster than its predecessor.

well so far it's sucking: http://n4g.com/news/754308/homefront-ki ... les-totals

NeXus 6

Sun May 08, 2011 12:50 pm

sweatshopking wrote:

I already posted this. Regardless, EA claims it's their biggest selling game this year, so it's not a total disaster.

BTW, the game is on sale at Amazon for $30 today only. Download version only.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun May 08, 2011 2:39 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
SPOOFE wrote:

well so far it's sucking: http://n4g.com/news/754308/homefront-ki ... les-totals

"Sucking" means "another game outsells it"? Nonsense. If that was the case, every game that isn't Modern Warfare 2 is sucking.

It's clear that Crysis 2's sales are just fine. No, they're not breaking records. Yes, they're exceeding the numbers of its predecessor so far, which is what everyone expected. Why is there this burning desire to take something one dislikes and insist that it's bad in every conceivable possible way? Why isn't it enough to simply not like a game?

AbRASiON

Sun May 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:

If you havent, go look at his ZP for the origintal Portal... its a shocker comming from him. Actually looking at ZP of portal 2 right now...

I see Yahtzee is still a moron. He praises Crysis 2 and says Portal 1 is better than 2,... and to think he was good 5 years ago.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 pm

AbRASiON wrote:
Aphasia wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:

I see Yahtzee is still a moron. He praises Crysis 2 and says Portal 1 is better than 2,... and to think he was good 5 years ago.

i agree for the most part. I don't like some of the downgrade from crysis, but it's not a bad game. On the portal part, i totally agree the first was better.