Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:04 pm

This is for those of you that have used the VMware emulator program. Has anyone successfully setup Linux with that or even Windows? When I run the Linux setup it cannot find the hard disk for some reason and I am not sure which driver to use.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:26 pm

If your running it under windows, you need to create a 'virtual disk'. To do that, run the configuration wizard, and it will bring you through the necessary steps.

When you have created a virtual disk, you will need to run cfdisk /dev/hda1 in your linux setup ( depending on the setup, some do it automatically, others you need to do manually). Ensure the first partition is bootable, and install lilo or grub onto the first partition. Keep in mind there are size limitations in VMware, the virtual HD can only be 2047 megs large.

I've been using VMware for a while now, lemme know if this helps or not.

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:42 pm

Ok. I am using Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I went through the wizard and once I boot the virtual machine it says operating system not found of course. I use my Linux boot disk to setup the install from another hard drive. I receive an error that no hard disk is found then I am asked to select a driver. How do I run that command from there?

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:27 pm

Actually if you use plain-disks you can get virtual HD sizes larger then 2GB. Or raw disks but I don't recommend using raw disks. I see what your problem is now too dolemite. From your wording it sounds like your trying to install linux from a second harddrive but if you didn't setup the second hard drive properly in the VMs configuration the VM won't be able to see it. If you have a CD to install from just use that otherwise gimme an hour or two and I'll get the correct settings for you to setup the second hard drive so you'll be able to see it.

Ok go to your VM configuration and select a new virtual harddrive to edit(IDE0:1 preferably if you only have VHD and VCDROM installed) after you select it there should be a radio button on the right with different VHD modes. Select the "existing disk partition" option. It then should let you pick what partition you want it pointing to after that make sure you save the configuration and reboot using your boot disk. This should work if not let me know and I'll keep digging.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ANApex on 2002-01-10 12:54 ]</font>

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:01 pm

That is what I am trying to do. I have the installation folders on a seperate drive. I didnt think about VMware not recognizing the drive. Thanks for the help.

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:25 pm

Yeah a VM will only recognize what you tell it to recognize. Typically if you run through the wizard it'll be IDE0:0 as a virtual drive, IDE1:0 as a CDROM(if you enabled it), and a floppy (if you enabled it). Anything after that you gotta roll up your sleeves and dig into the configuration menu. Did my settings work for you?

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:53 pm

I will let you know later today.

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:39 pm

Did you ever get this working dolemite?

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:13 pm

Yes I did. I was able to get windows xp running under windows 2000. I was not able to get Linux going since it could not detect the right monitor + video card but I got the installation files setup correctly. I am working on getting windows 2000 running under linux now.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:31 pm

When you setup VMware for Linux you will need to install the 'vmware tools' so your Xserver will use the correct server for the vmware card. Read the help file in VMware, and search for 'vmware tools' it will give you the instructions to walkthrough installing the vmware tools.

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:41 pm

I did check that but it says I have to be in the operating system for that to work. During the linux install under windows I can't get X windows configured since it will not detect the right monitor or even video card. Can I install that from the bash shell if X Windows is not even setup?

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:58 pm

Yea, when your up in bash, just hit the 'install vmware tools' in the pull down menu, and it inserts a fake floppy disk in.

After that mount the floppy, copy all contents out of it, you may or may not have to gunzip/tar it, then run the .sh to install everything correctly.

However, the default tools only support Xfree 3* if you want 4.* support you will need to download them from vmware's site. And you can do that in bash as well. Lynx. :smile:

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:05 am

Yeah what he said, on another note it's great to see support for VMware here. I've been using it for roughly a year here at work for various projects and would recommend it to anyone. Even if you have no need for it :wink:

SecretSquirrel

Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:24 am

Be warned when that if you used a physical disk in VMware and Linux, it has problems with detecting the proper geometries. I duplicated a virtual disk onto a physical on. VMware wouldn't boot off the physical, however when I put it in anther machine, it boots fine. Something to do with the fake bios and drives I suppose.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SecretSquirrel on 2002-02-22 02:29 ]</font>