Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Mr.Lif
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mini Din 9, Leadtek TV card cable?

Thu May 12, 2011 1:56 am

I hate to never be so much of a usefull contributor to the TR crew but once again I come to you guys with a dilemma.

I recently slapped in my old Leadtek Winfast TV2000 xp expert in hopes of recording some older console gameplay. It has a coaxial input, FM radio input, a multi video input via a mini din 9 connector, and a 2.5mm port for the IR sensor.

Unfortunately I lost the mini din 9 cable, and thus lost composite video, S-video and RCA audio input on the card. Take a gander at that link there and you'll see the pinout and shape of the connector. I was wondering if anyone out there knew where I could find another one of these infernal cables. Ooooor if there is someone clever with solder and wiring to give me a tip on how to make my own.

This is really just a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks

Mr.Lif
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Mini Din 9, Leadtek TV card cable?

Thu May 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Well allright I found something that suited my needs.

If you look at a 7 pin mini din component cable (in which I have at least half a dozen of them) the pins are very similar. Surprisingly, contrary to the pin layout on the leadtek 9 pin port in my previous post, they are set more or less like the 7 pin variety. They fit well after I took some needle nose pliers and broke the little plastic key right off the little thing and it worked great.

Just plug the composite video out of the console into the RED component lead and it just seems to work wonderfully. Go figure.
So that's that. Maybe this could help someone in the future if a search runs over it. Oh well. Cheers

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Unfortunately a lot of those breakout cables are custom affairs and the connector pinout is not standardized, so if you lose the original, you're kind of up a creek.

Sometimes customer service can provide a spare for a nominal fee. If that fails, usually the only practical fix is to jury rig a different breakout cable (like you just did), or find a spare on eBay.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Mr.Lif
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Well I did it again. I went out and bought an A/V multi format cable for the older nintendo systems, playstation 2/3 and original xbox from gameshtepp and a F/F S-video adapter from radioshaq. I then hacked up one of my many S-video cables and rolled the signal and ground wires to properly fit the leadtek card (again aided by breaking the plastic key). Turns out the signals pin positions for S-video and the leadtek's proprietary job are effectively in the same spot, only reversed top to bottom. So, now I have a slightly crisper image on my monitor! Go me?!

Buying a leadtek breakout cable would greatly reduce hassle, but not many places seem to have them. If they do, they'd be in upwards of 30$, with questionable functionality as pictures of them don't usually exist on those websites.

I spent a total of 18$ at the two places, including tax. Minus however much gas I burned driving to and fro. But hey, it's the adventure, not the goal isn't it? :lol: