Topic Author

Interesting Interview of GOG by DOSBox

Fri May 13, 2011 11:21 am

Monday, January 10th, 2011 entry at http://www.dosbox.com/

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: Interesting Interview of GOG by DOSBox

Fri May 13, 2011 11:33 am

Newer versions of windows all introduce new security features like UAC, Virtual Store/Register. Do you often run into problems with that?

Pawel: Yes, UAC is really pain in the a... Our games are being checked prior to install and with UAC enabled on some 1+gb games can take a LOT of time before you can install your game. Same goes with extra security with Program Files folder on newer systems, MS applied some restriction to anything that can or cannot be saved into that folder. Some old games can and have problems with that. Surprisingly Registry is quite OK, no problems so far.

Idiot...

Oh, noes, an integrity check (aka hash check) that's part of our digital signature makes it take a minute or two longer to install a DOS game. OH_MY_GOD, RIP THAT OUT RIGHT NOW SO I CAN GET A VIRUS INSTEAD! GO, GO, GO!

Extra security on Program Files.... PROGRAM FILES HAS BEEN READ ONLY TO USERS IN NT SINCE THE 90s, RETARD.

If he hasn't noticed registry problems it's only because the UAC virtualization is helping dodge the issue or his games don't need to touch the registry. There are plenty of security landmines in the registry.

Sorry, Wilcox. Not trying to **** on your thread. Lazy programmers make me crazy.

Thanks for the link.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.