Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Doing the CAN CAN...

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 am

I'm curious to see if anyone has experience working with CAN, specifically in an automotive environment. I'm starting on a project to snoop the CAN bus on my new car for some monitoring an information gathering. I'm reading everything I can find on Google, but if anyone has some specific references they would recommend, I'm all ears.

--SS

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Doing the CAN CAN...

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:08 am

:lol:

Actually, one of my pet projects on the back burner is building and programming an ECU diag reader. I haven't started the technical side to it yet, but I'm interested in your progress.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
I'm curious to see if anyone has experience working with CAN, specifically in an automotive environment. I'm starting on a project to snoop the CAN bus on my new car for some monitoring an information gathering. I'm reading everything I can find on Google, but if anyone has some specific references they would recommend, I'm all ears.

--SS

If you have a car post 1996 you can get a USB to OBDII converter and some software on your PC to read and display basic OBDII functions and check for DTCs. You won't be able to change anything though.

If you got a spare $15,000 lying around, buy a scan tool LOL.

I've worked with the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) when I was working at a Honda dealership.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 am

CAN didn't start coming in till later (mid 2000's), the earlier OBDII were ISO9141, VPW and PWM depending on manufacturer and then moving to ISO14230. I've done my own ISO scan tool (optical isolator box on the serial port) to dump out and clear DTCs but my cars are both ISO models and not CAN.