Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

A7Xfan35
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Windows 7 Update Problem HELP

Fri May 20, 2011 10:09 pm

I have a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6858. I bought this laptop in August of 2008 so it had Windows Vista on it. When Windows 7 came out, I installed Windows 7 Home Premium. Since then, every time my laptop is plugged in I have to install "The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)" and "Update for Microsoft Outlook 2007 Help (KB963677) over and over again until I unplug my laptop. This didn't use to be a problem, but my battery has worn down to about 20 minutes of use. I believe these are updates that failed installing on vista be upgrading to 7. I don't believe that it is actually downloading or installing the updates because it is using up any hard drive space and it finishes installing almost instantly. It is annoying because while it wants me to install the updates, it slows down my computer a lot.
Any help would be appreciated very much, but if you can't help and you happen to know of laptop in the 14" to 16" range that has a backlit keyboard, blu-ray player, at least 4 GB ram, 7200 rpm hard drive or a solid state disk, intel core 13, 15, or 17 and is less than $1500, that would also be appreciated very much as I would like to wait another year before buying a new laptop, but if I can't fix this problem, I'll just buy a new laptop. Thank you for your time and help.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Windows 7 Update Problem HELP

Sat May 21, 2011 7:36 am

Go to the Program and Features window and on the left pane, click on "View Installed Updates". If the updates are there, this means Windows Update just became stupid to properly detect the updates. If they were really installed already, you can simply hide the updates in the "found updates" list. You can right-click the item and then select Hide.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 21, 2011 8:46 am

If that doesn't work, MS has an update readiness tool here which might fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Failing that, we sometimes manually clear out the system-update cache with success. You'll need to turn off the automatic update service and the background intelligent updater service, then delete the contents of c:\windows\softwaredistribution folder, then restart those two services and see if that fixes it.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

A7Xfan35
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat May 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks for the help. I tried your solution and it didn't work, but thanks for your time.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Go to Control Panel>Programs and Features and see if those updates are listed there either under the main program list or under the "View Installed updates" list on the left hand side. If they are, uninstall them and Windows Update should reinstall them properly. If you have the original Microsoft Office installation disks, you could eventually try uninstalling Office then reinstalling.

Buying a new PC for a software problem is a bit extreme. If worse came to worse, you could copy your data off of the laptop and reload it with the factory image using the recovery CDs or the recovery partition on your hard drive the laptop was supplied with by the manufacturer. If you do this, all your data currently on the laptop will be lost, so make sure to back it up.