Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

HDMI laptop-to-tv woes

Sat May 21, 2011 9:48 pm

As a favor to my cousin i figured i would re-setup his home theater set up in a way that i liked more. Seeing two sets of rca cables used to send the same signal to the same place annoyed me after it caught my eye, but i realized the 2.1 could be more conveniently connected and their laptop as well.

In my attempts to get the tv running in any form i discovered that the tv does not allow an hdmi connection to the laptop unless it's selected as the current source, and from what i can tell the tv drops the connection when changing resolutions, and here is the problem.

After choosing a selection, regardless of it being clone, primary, secondary, or the resolution choosen of such, the laptop immediately reverts back to it's own monitor as the only functioning one after pinging that lovely hardware disconnected chime. In fact it happens so fast that it will give the hardware connected notification sound, show it as newly connected in the window, and then ask me if i want to keep the settings i've choosen after reverting back to them anyway. However, the tv does show a beautiful looking signal before that happens. Hardware is a geforce 8200M. The tv's inputs are being used, and there are no dvi nor vga connectors on it. No, there isn't currently a digital cable box or other such device capable of acting as intermediate.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

moriz
Gerbil XP

Re: HDMI laptop-to-tv woes

Sat May 21, 2011 10:04 pm

if my old laptop's 8400m is of any indication, the 8000m series simply do not have proper HDMI output implemented.

Palek
Gerbil

Re: HDMI laptop-to-tv woes

Sun May 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Pretty basic stuff, but: have you updated the video drivers?

Also: do you remember the laptop make and model? OS (I assume Vista or 7)? TV make and model?