Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

deadrats
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Apple to drop Intel, go with ARM

Fri May 06, 2011 5:33 pm

and the "arms" race may be starting (sorry, couldn't resist a bad pun):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20060366-17.html

honestly, it wouldn't surprise me, apple used to use risc processors, ARM is a risc, ARM has been making big gains and has many developers that would rather program for ARM over x86, tablets will more than likely replace desktops for everyday use and ARM processors own the tablet market.

also remember that microsoft has announced that windows 8 will have an ARM version.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Apple to drop Intel, go with ARM

Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 am

I could see some sort of device slotted below the MacBook Air, but ARM is NOWHERE near as fast or competent as the current gen of intel product. I can't see it in a mainstream notebook anywhere in the near future. It's just too slow.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 31, 2011 8:27 am

Maybe, just maybe, they are going to stick an ipad into the air essentially, to run some instant on OS for basic things to get 20+ hours of battery, and it will still have everything else to power on if you want to?

Da_Boss
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 am

I doubt it.

Firstly, ARM still lacks the raw power to make any headway in the desktop space, and since professional audio/video production applications are a part of Apple's Mac platform (Logic and Final Cut, anyone?), it wouldn't make any sense to re-engineer software just for a downgrade.

Secondly, Intel is Apple's b*tch. Really. Apple gets Intel CPU and chipsets to market pretty much before anybody else. Furthermore, there are CPUs in Apple Macs (like the MBA) that you simply won't find anywhere else, as they're custom built for Apple. Why would Apple mess with that sort of arrangement just for the sake of battery life?

Also, keep in mind that Apple is more or less in cruise control in the desktop space. Macs are slowly becoming a smaller and smaller part of Apple's profit share because they've moved on from trying to innovate there and have focused more on where the ball is going next: Tablets, smartphones, and other relatively powerful mobile devices. I mean, just look at the previews for Mac OS 10.7 Lion. How much more trivial can a new Mac OS X release get?
2011 15" MacBook Pro Ci7 2GHz, 8GB DDR3-1066, Intel 510 256GB SSD