Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Software to join video files

Tue May 31, 2011 8:10 am

I am trying to join a couple of mp4 files into one larger file. I can't seem to find any software that can do this easily. Both files have the exact same settings, so I wouldn't think this would be all that complex. Yet finding the application to do this seems to be rarer than hen's teeth.

Any suggestions?

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Re: Software to join video files

Tue May 31, 2011 5:07 pm

If by "join" you mean literally stitch the files together at the data level, then I don't know of anything that can do that for you. Otherwise, you could make an Avisynth script that contains all the videos you want and then transcode everything to one big video file through something like x264 or MeGUI if you don't want to do commandline. If there's audio, you'll probably need to demux the audio tracks out, but then you can just make one large audio file using any audio editing tool e.g. Audacity.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 pm

The thing is that these were ripped with the exact same settings. I am converting some of my DVDs to MP4. A few of these have multiple titles, which Handbrake refuses to join. So I have to convert each title. I was hoping I could find something that would concatenate them.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Actually, it just sounds like you a need a container for all your files. Why don't you just mux everything into an mkv file and user chapters to demarcate the separate sections? mkvtoolnix comes with everything you'll need to do that.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure how you're doing the conversion, but you should be able to rip each title as a VOB and then use DGIndex to create a single project with the VOBs you want, which can then be opened via Avisynth script and encoded as one big video. It's a little bit more involved and less straightforward than just telling a GUI what to do, but I think it'll do what you're trying to do.

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 pm

MP4Box can concatenate mp4 files. It's command line but the syntax isn't too tricky to figure out, and you should be able to find a binary for most platforms.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks, I think that will work for me. I'll give it a shot this evening.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:49 am

I tossed a few different files downloaded from you tube in to MS MovieMaker, and created a single .WMV file.*

I would think then you can use Super or some other converter to convert them.

Win 7 Pro, 64bit.

(*I made long file of stuff my kids like, and burned to a DVD with no chapters to it would just keep playing :)