Mass Effect 3

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Mass Effect 3

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 am

Grrr....its been delayed until 2012. :( At least that gives me time to get the perfect save game ready. 8) Time to replay ME2.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Re: Mass Effect 3

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 6:57 am

Bioware will ne- ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL!

DIRECT INTERVENTION IS NECESSARY!
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 7:01 am

I'm willing to bet this has something to do with cramming to release TOR.

It's been said for awhile that they may be spreading themselves too thin.
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 7:05 am

Krogoth wrote:Bioware will ne- ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL!

DIRECT INTERVENTION IS NECESSARY!

hehehe I enjoyed that more than i should have...
DeadOfKnight wrote:I'm willing to bet this has something to do with cramming to release TOR.

It's been said for awhile that they may be spreading themselves too thin.

I've thought that for a while. And I called it by saying DA2 wasn't gong to be as epic as the first one. Not to mention Bioware is "looking into" getting help from other developers for their ME3 HUD and what not. Not that it's a bad idea, just seems un-Bioware like.
System: Antec P182, E3110, Abit IP35 Pro, Patriot DDR2-800 (2x2GB), eVGA 9600GT, WD 320GB HHD, Corsair 520HX, Vista 64
Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 7:35 am

Well SWTOR has gotten at least one bad review that I have read and everyone and their brother hates DAII (I loved it myself /shrug) so we shall see what happens with ME3.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 7:46 am

I suspect Eezo is a key plot point in the trilogy. The material screams artificial not naturally occurring. Notice how Eezo directly tied to Reaper technology? Not a coincidence. I also believe that it is a critical element in the "Reaper" reproduction cycle. Species most receptive to Eezo are most suitable for the process. Humans have only been expose to Eezo for less than a century and their biotics rival or even surpass the Asari.

What creates Eezos? Dark energy triggered supernova events. ;)
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 am

Krogoth wrote:... [japanese rpg style] ...

Love the use of spoiler tags here. I blinked over it and at first thought you were saying "I bet Ezio..." thinking you were taking the piss on ME2 by rolling it in with Assassin's Creed 2.

Then I realized that you were referencing a name I never heard before, and that I really need to replay ME1, and get around to giving ME2 a spin some time.

Totally doing the Scientist Salarian thing too. :D
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted
gbcrush
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 am

If youre really going to play ME1 again just cheat your way through. now as for ME2 that deserves a good and proper playthrough.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 8:49 am

If I don't get to shoot probes at planets for HOURS mining for EZERO then I don't even want to play ME3.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 am

DancinJack wrote:If I don't get to shoot probes at planets for HOURS mining for EZERO then I don't even want to play ME3.

Good fun that. Sensitivity adjusting mice certainly help on the PC, FYI.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 9:56 am

DancinJack wrote:If I don't get to shoot probes at planets for HOURS mining

Best part of the game that :roll:
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 10:17 am

I'm glad that BW has decided to delay the game rather than rush it out the door. I never played ME1 but I thoroughly enjoyed ME2 and I've started another playthrough on my second box.
A man must have a code -Bunk
deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

ME1 was good because it really sets the tone for ME2 and hopefully ME3. The landing craft you had in it was a pain only because I chose to take direct routes from one area to another.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm actually doing my first playthrough in ME1 right now, about 30 hours into it, but I've done a few side quests in the citadel on the way through Noveria and then finding Liara... so its onto Feros, then onto Vilmire. But I' ma completionist in many ways, so yes, I do survey everything I can and will do the tour around most of the side missions in time though.

And than waiting for ME2 to show up on the next steam sale, hopefully something for summer vacation.
Great game, love the story, although the combat system in ME1 is quite retarded in some ways.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Mass Effect 2 is on sale today on Steam.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Lol, I just started up Steam to look at something else and noticed that... Digital deluxe edition bought... and downloading.
Thanks for the heads up though. Just noticed that it was Thursday that was ME- day, so i just had a bit of luck.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Moved posts to prevent JAE's head from exploding. Post in the ME2 thread.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Good choice... :lol:
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:42 am

DancinJack wrote:If I don't get to shoot probes at planets for HOURS mining for EZERO then I don't even want to play ME3.

/agreed
WarriorProphet
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:10 am

The E3 demos of this game have me really excited. We're finally going to be able to roll from cover to cover with an omni blade facilitating a stealth assassin type of playstyle that I feel has been lacking. Check it out at gametrailers.com.
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 am

WarriorProphet wrote:

/agreed

More carpal tunnel to the people!
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 am

[Pure speculation mode]

I suspect that Mass Effect 3 will reveal that Reapers are really "Starfish Aliens", they need Ezero to survive but cannot directly work with. They found this out the hard way with their singularity. They realized that Ezero only interfaces directly with organic life (ie biotics). They always realized that said life needed to be sentient, to harness Ezero.

This is where the Reaper's scheme comes into play. They lace the entire galaxy with caches of Ezero and basic Reaper-level technology and a convenient FTL network + hub(Citadel) in hopes that sentient life would be forced to use it. They would "reap" when the said cultures are advanced enough to have the ability to begin understanding and reserve engineer the said technology (ie discover its horrible secrets). The centralized FTL network ensures that it is easy to isolate and control the "cattle" . Reapers use the most "suitable" culture to reproduce, they do this by seeing what culutre is most receptive to Ezero and has generic variability. It seems humanity is the best template this time around. They logically rationalize this by giving their "cattle" a chance to "join" their ranks (Ascension). A process that would normality take thousands of years of technological development. The "less-suitable" cultures are consumed for their energy and more basic resources via Indoctrination.

This would make Reapers a race that mixes the characteristics of Cthulhu Mythos and Galactus. A cosmic power that is beyond understanding and morality of "mortal" races.

Indoctrination itself is just a specialized mass effect field that slowly manipulates organic life by alternating their neural networks in their "brain" analogs. In effect, it is a mind wipe and mind control field. That's why prolong exposure destroys the intelligence and will of the victims making them nothing more than brain-dead zombies.

Ezero is actually a synthetic material that only forges in high-energy environments. To make sizable quantities (Reapers need a lot of it) requires extraordinary amounts of energy. Only supernovae events can achieve this. A powerful enough mass effect field can make this happen. What race is known to generate powerful mass effect field? ;)

How will game the end? I suspect it will go this path.

Shepard and his buddies force the Reapers to a strategical chokepoint that happens to be in a star system that is about to go supernova. Shepard and his crew realize that the Reapers fleet cannot be stopped by force. (How can a galaxy with basic reaper-level technology defeat an armada of thousands of Super-Dreadnought class ships equipped with full reaper technology?). He/She and his/her buddies realize that Reapers require a lot of energy to run that huge fleet and are running on "low" from their long 50,000 year nap. They know that Mass Relays aren't invincible and also create a nice boom on their own. ;)

Shepard realizes the only way to save the galaxy or humanity is do a "heroic" sacrifice. He/She will hold the "Alamo" until the Mass Relays are ready to be destroyed and star is going to go boom. The final boss will be the "first" Reaper. Ironically, it is small enough to be fought on a tactical combat level. It will first give Shepard a "Faustian" deal* before the climatic fight. The plan ends up working. The Reaper fleet is isolated and pinned down in a system with its star going to supernova. In a twist of ironic poetic justice, the Reapers fall victim to their own schemes.

After the dust settles, Shepard's actions in the previous games will determine the damage that the entire invasion has done and the aftermath. A Paragon Shepard will help the galaxy to unify itself under a new alliance when they realize the old Council system was inadequate to deal with the crisis.

A Renegade Shepard helps make humanity establish the basis of a new empire, since most of the other races are in tatters. The Human Alliance is the only viable power left. They convert the Arcturus station into a new Citadel ( I'm assuming the Citadel was a casualty in this ending).

A neutral Shepard will combine both elements that ends up maintaining the status quo after the reconstruction (This will be the canon ending).

The big hanging question is, did the plan really stop the Reapers? What other contingency plans do they have left in store? What other cosmic horrors lie elsewhere in the universe?

(Freespace 2's open-ended ending was the inspiration of my idea.)

*- If Shepards accepts the first reaper's deal. It will cut to a "bad ending" that takes place 50,000 years into the future. You see the Citadel being control by the future races doing their own business. All of a sudden without any warning, hell breaks loose. The Citadel begins to activate, then a massive reaper fleet warps in. The camera pans towards a one of the "ships" in the center that looks familiar. The ship begins to transmit a familiar phrase under an digitally altered voice.

"I am Shepard, I am the vanguard of your destruction........"

Then it fades out.

[/pure speculation mode]
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Entertaining read. Everything is open so far.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Nice Krogoth. In fact its pretty much what I have drummed up in my mind. It will be exciting to see and play for sure.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:00 pm

(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:58 pm

tanker27 wrote:The collectors edition
Hmm, they should've made the collectors edition just that, then have a another forgathers edition or something for the other stuff...
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Hopefully theyre making the combat a bit more dynamic because thats the real weak point for the game, the storytelling and plot is pretty good. From that e3 clip it looks like they must have taken that on board and are trying to fix it. The weapons and abilities have been kinda dull and the AI wasn't very good, but with the RPG elements and classes there's plenty of room for them to make it really cool. Hopefully third time's a charm, but I'm expecting it to be like the first 2 where the only compelling reason to play is the story.
blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:31 am

blitzy wrote:Hopefully theyre making the combat a bit more dynamic because thats the real weak point for the game, the storytelling and plot is pretty good. From that e3 clip it looks like they must have taken that on board and are trying to fix it. The weapons and abilities have been kinda dull and the AI wasn't very good, but with the RPG elements and classes there's plenty of room for them to make it really cool. Hopefully third time's a charm, but I'm expecting it to be like the first 2 where the only compelling reason to play is the story.

I think you missed something- the second game's gameplay really comes to life when you crank it to Insanity, at which point you actually have to play the game. Anything lower than Hardcore is a result of Consolitis.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:53 am

Airmantharp wrote:
blitzy wrote:Hopefully theyre making the combat a bit more dynamic because thats the real weak point for the game, the storytelling and plot is pretty good. From that e3 clip it looks like they must have taken that on board and are trying to fix it. The weapons and abilities have been kinda dull and the AI wasn't very good, but with the RPG elements and classes there's plenty of room for them to make it really cool. Hopefully third time's a charm, but I'm expecting it to be like the first 2 where the only compelling reason to play is the story.

I think you missed something- the second game's gameplay really comes to life when you crank it to Insanity, at which point you actually have to play the game. Anything lower than Hardcore is a result of Consolitis.

X2, you have to really mix and match all the powers that you have, and some times you will fall victim of no ammo as well. Using all your weapons and powers wisely is the key to success in Insanity mode.
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.0GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970| 12 GB RAM| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60".
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:19 am

well for me they could have cranked up the difficulty 10x and it wouldnt make that gameplay fun, it was just fundamentally gimpy. Boring weapons and abilities, lack of proper itemization, dumb teammates, limited range of opponents and AI... even the cover system and aiming was bad. Your taste may vary, but for my money if im gonna play shooter gameplay it better be decent
blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Next

Return to Gaming