Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wii U?

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:25 pm

I have to think the people at Nintendo are on drugs. They just announced their Wii successor. It's got every gimmick and trick you can think of all wrapped up into one console. Buttons! dual analog sticks! a 6" touch screen! Motion controls! The kitchen sink! They're not showing any games (just tech demos) and it's not coming out this year, but it's got more gimmicks already than you can shake a stick at. They say it's in "HD" but if that means they've caught up to the current generation of actual consoles or gone beyond that is a mystery to me. they're obviously not talking about specs. So what say you, people? We had a Wii for about 2 years and the most popular game on the system in my home in that span was Wii Sports. As a result I'm not terribly enthused, but I know it'll sell like hotcakes, like anything Nintendo outside of the Virtual Boy.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Wii U?

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:33 pm

How about some more nerd rage, DerFunk?

Does seem pretty gimmicky, though.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:36 pm

From what I've read, you'll be able to play games on the controller without the need of a TV, which is pretty nifty. However, the controller is friggin' enormous in comparison to the controllers of other systems. Going from the handheld controllers from the Wii to tablet-sized controllers on the Wii U is a bit surprising. I wonder what the damage is going to be when those things start flying around breaking TVs and giving people concussions. Also, while the console supports HD content, the 6.2 inch screen on the controller does not.

=Edit=
Once again, I think the name is stupid. I am not alone apparently, as one of the first comments I saw on Kotaku was this.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:45 pm

I dunno, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. It all boils down to the games and how they take advantage of the hardware.

But the name, oh god, the name. So awkward and lame. Couldn't they come up with something better than just slapping a letter on the end of "Wii"? And the controller looks horrible ergonomically - if the thing hurts your hands to use nothing can overcome that.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:07 pm

Holy cats, Dizik that video is great.

I'm not raging, I'm just poking fun at the "how many gimmicks can we stuff in there?" approach.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 pm

color me pessimistic. The control just seems awkward and difficult to use, which is an immediate killer for me.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Derfer
Gerbil

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Pee-U

Mr.Lif
Gerbil

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:44 pm

I've allways thought the ultimate goal in creating a game system is to have it's user interface as simple and intuitive as possible. Controllers have become more and more ergonomic and light, or incorporate natural movements. I think the Wii's 'motes had merit, if a little obtrusive. But this ridiculous. The thing looks to be at least a stone and would certainly leave my flabby nerd arms tired at the end of the day.

etrigan420
Gerbil

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm willing to wait for it to release before I judge it.

Weren't people decrying the Wiimote + nunchuck set up as "gimmicky", and "awkward / difficult to use" before the Wii released? Anyone else remember the N64 controller rage?

Not that it matters to me either way...the PS3 will maintain it's place on the "Big TV", it just gets a little old hearing the same old gripes and complaints with *every* new system pre-release.

Looks like it might enable me to game while taking a ****...

+1 Nintendo.

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm impressed. Looks like fun. Ars is impressed as well. Apparently looks are deceiving, the new controller works/feels great. I guess you have to try it to appreciate it.

The Wii U is backward compatible... including controllers. So if the new screen/controller isn't to your liking, find a wand or classic controller.

@Dizik - Why do you need HD on a 6.2" screen?

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Xenolith wrote:
@Dizik - Why do you need HD on a 6.2" screen?
I didn't say that it needed it. I'm just surprised that the screen isn't HD given the size of it and the fact that the games themselves would be HD content. And, lest we forget, we're in the age of OMGITHAZHD!!ONE!
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Impressions coming out of E3 seem to be positive. I think the announcement is premature but with the 360 and PS3 still looking like no replacement in the next two years it likely won't matter. This isn't the first time Nintendo has gone for this concept. I recall the Gameboy Advance and later DS being used in a similar fashion with the Gamecube and Wii. That gives me a bit more confidence that they'll be able to put out some interesting games, clearly something about the concept has caught their attention.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Well. Better name then Wii P. But who would of thought that the movie "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist" would have got the name right so many years ago. :lol:

IMO the new system is a meh to me. That controller can't be cheap.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:52 am

etrigan420 wrote:
Weren't people decrying the Wiimote + nunchuck set up as "gimmicky", and "awkward / difficult to use" before the Wii released?

Not that I remember. I mean, I had that reaction, but not until *after* I owned a Wii.

The controller can't be both inexpensive and high quality though.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Grape Flavor wrote:
And the controller looks horrible ergonomically - if the thing hurts your hands to use nothing can overcome that.

Ok so the controller is smaller and thinner than I thought, and the journos who've tried it say it's fine.

Well good luck Nintendo. I'm really hoping this console gets enough great games that I can justify buying one. I haven't owned a (non-handheld) console since the Nintendo 64 - they just don't offer enough that can't be done on my PC. :-? But I'm always looking to branch out...

Althernai
Gerbil

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Rumor has it that the GPU for this machine is based on a 32 nm version of the RV770 (which most of the Radeon 4800/4700 series is built on). The chip is 3 years old now and will probably be 3 generations behind by the time it is released, but it is still more than order of magnitude more powerful than the 5+ year old junk found in current consoles.

Ushio01
Gerbil

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Well turns out you can't buy controllers separately so watch out you break the controller that's a whole new console needed.

Not for me I get through way too many controllers on my PS2 (yeah I skipped this generation).

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:06 pm

If that's true, then **** that.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:25 pm

I'm not sure I believe that at all. I can't find an article on the internet saying you won't be able to buy extra controllers, though I *can* find plenty of forums on the internet with the same rumor.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:22 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'm not sure I believe that at all. I can't find an article on the internet saying you won't be able to buy extra controllers, though I *can* find plenty of forums on the internet with the same rumor.

Nintendo: Wii U Controllers Not Sold Separately

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 am

I'd want something more credible. I can't imagine Nintendo would leave money on the table like that. This generation they've milked for all its worth, so refusing to sell a controller seperately seems...unlikely.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 am

It's a POS concept and I won't be getting it. Ever.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:23 am

We are at least 15 months away from release, lots of speculation. My guess is at initial release, spare controllers will be hard to come by due to limited supply. Initial inventory will go to the console box. They had supply problems with WiiMotes and Nunchuks the first few months the Wii was out. You will be able to buy your spares eventually.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:46 am

^^ that. I'm pretty sure that's how it'll wind up.

Not having spare controllers means that the system is single-player only. That just will not fly in a home console.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 am

Weren't they showing the system being used with the Wiimote and nunchuck? I am not sure what their strategy is with the controller. If their plan is seriously to limit the console to use only one of the new style controllers then I have a lot more fear with how this is all going to work. What an awful presentation. People are more confused than ever on what exactly the Wii U even is.

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 am

The Wii U is backward compatible with the Wii. That includes controllers.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Skrying wrote:
People are more confused than ever on what exactly the Wii U even is.

It's four Gamecubes and an Etch-a-sketch taped together!

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Xenolith wrote:
The Wii U is backward compatible with the Wii. That includes controllers.

Yeah but it renders Wii games in same-old 480p. Which means without a strong launch lineup the Wii U is the most expensive HDMI cable ever.

It's completely inexcusable, really. The Wii U uses a 4870, right? Well, with a 4870, on an x86 Windows PC, on an emulator coded by a bunch of amateurs in their free time, you can easily play Wii games in 1080p. Imagine how easy it would be for Nintendo to do this on a native PowerPC architecture with all their inside knowledge and resources.

It would be child's play for Nintendo to enable this, and yet they won't. Sheer laziness and arrogance. I can't imagine buying a Wii U if this is their attitude. You just lost a sale, guys. :evil:

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Meh, I'll be buying it on launch day because I'm a sucker for their first party games, everything else is icing on the cake. That being said, I really hope they have at least two of those controllers possible per system otherwise I really think the potential for something truly new is gone.
X __________________________

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:55 am