Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Antec ISK-300 Not all its cracked up to be?

Fri May 27, 2011 6:31 pm

I was just curious if anyone else shared my same sentiments. I mean I like the fact that it is as small as it is, the look of it is even decent. However, the case materials feel cheap and easily damaged. Just by placing the case on its side on an anti-static mat I noticed tons of swirl scratches in the black paint. When put on a normal wooden desk while testing the recently built system, the paint actually wore off down to bare metal! On the inside, the brackets don't always align very well. It seems so far the the plastics on the front are decent, nothing to write home about. My other concern was that the power supply inside is open and exposed to all of the other wiring that has no place at all to be hidden. Just feels like a charlie foxtrot inside this thing. To top it all off, the stand that comes with it is next to useless. The case actually moves freely in the stand and tips to one side or the other as its not a stable platform. Just purely useless.

Having been my first Mini-ITX case based system, I was curious if this is the norm? Cheap and flimsy cases/materials with little to no thought for cabling or airflow. Can anyone recommend a well built in-expensive mini-ITX case? I'm perfectly comfortable with something that is slightly larger as long as I can neatly run cables inside of it so that they don't cover up the one and only fan on the case.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Re: Antec ISK-300 Not all its cracked up to be?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:47 am

Well, I don't share your sentiment. I use an ISK 300-65 with one of my computers, and it's great for me! I run a RAID 0 w/ laptop drives, and I swapped the built-in 80mm fan w/ a SilenX. All of the cables stay at the top of the case (away from the fan in my build), and everything gets adequate airflow.

I also really like my Silverstone SG05B; there's more space in it and it uses a larger fan for intake; the case fan doesn't even turn on in my computer, usually. The downside is the beefier PSU, which results in lower efficiency for very low power set ups.

However, if you're looking for a mITX case you could use as home defense, take a look at the Chenbro ES34069. That case is the heaviest, sturdiest mITX case available today (in my opinion). It uses 2x70mm fans which do a good job of cooling everything off, and the hard drives are actually kept under the motherboard in another compartment (so cables are not in the way when you open the system). It's a tad noisier than the other two systems, but perhaps you're okay with that if you get the build quality you're seeking.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Antec ISK-300 Not all its cracked up to be?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks for your input, i'll take a look at the other cases you recommended. I don't completely hate the ISK300-65, I just am not as impressed with it that i'd expect from something put out by Antec. I appreciate your honest input, looking into them now.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x