Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

E3 2011, your thoughts and favorites

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Well After watching E3 this year I can list one real surprise and that was the new tombraider footage. I was upset about what we saw for many games I'm excited to see. BF3 was extremely retrained in its reveal. The footage was good but not what we need to see. We need an extended MP cut of gameplay. Uncharted 3 looks phenominal, Mass Effect 3 had a great showing but was still not particularly surprising just really flipping good. Farcry 3 looks like a throw back to the original, While I was excited to see the focus on a strong narrative (the previous game had a pretty horrible narrative and dead feeling open world.) I'm sad to see the devs leave Africa behind, I felt the African setting could really use a second go with a better ambient world, AI routines, Narrative,and lighting engine. I'm excited to see if the new ghost recon plays as well as it demoes. I've never like the ghost recon franchise it was always the weakest tom Clancy franchise for me the last two entries where passable gameplay experiences pasted together with no real narrative.

All in all I came away a little disappointed. No major new IP or returning IP that wasn't announced/leaked weeks before the event. I'm also let down to see a few games missing from the lineup. Spec Ops the line looked pretty good but that was not even present, almost seeming to fade into obscurity. Valve was a no show, blizzard ignores the event so did rockstar. I'm also saddened by the lack of strategy games at the show. The game had lots of great games just not presented in a format that excited me, the PC as a platform feels like it gets no more love at E3 beyond what BF3 is boasting.

Ok, I've been rambling. Your thoughts?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: E3 2011, your thoughts and favorites

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Yeah, this was not the show to go to if you wanted to learn about new/interesting games. It was the show to go to if you wanted to see the PS Vita (stupid name) and Wii U (also stupid name). I think the Vita looks sweet, but then again I also love the PSP.

For new games, the new Sly Cooper game looks interesting. It's not made by Sucker Punch (they've been busy with inFamous) but it's being developed by Sanzaru Games, who made Secret Agent Clank (another great game) and ported the Sly Cooper Collection to PS3. I think the series is in good hands. Also a new Devil May Cry game was announced, and I love DMC.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:12 pm

derFunkenstein, as a designer I watched the presentations with an eye towards communication. Nintendo would have failed any design class I've ever taken since they never actually communicated anything we didn't know, it took was to long to get out basic/simple facts from there presentation. All the speaking parties, especially Reggie drag out the presentation in a horrible fashion as if to make it extra apparent they have next to nothing prepared for E3. A tighter 30 min press con would have served them much better. Even in interviews reggie doesn't explain anything. If I hadn't used the internet I wouldn't know that this wiiu was actually a new console, the presentations all make it look/sound like a new controller. Some outlets said nintendo had the best press conference. I totally disagree since I was more confused after than before purely because of how they communicate things. Reggie talks slower every time I see him...

Kinect asside microsoft had some interesting stuff at there pressCon, so did Sony... EA had the best though with lots of gameplay!!!

Still the only real surprise of the show was how good tombraider looks (aka like uncharted)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:34 pm

I was smart and I let other people watch the press conferences. Were you at the show? It apparently wasn't a problem for the people there to figure out the Wii U was a new console, especially since Nintendo had said previously (six weeks ago) that they were working on a replacement for 2012.

I forgot about Street Fighter X Tekken, btw. That looks pretty sweet as well. The Tomb Raider trailer had me feelin' kinda funny, like when you climb the rope in gym class. Seeing it in action would be pretty sweet.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:31 pm

I wasn't at the show I was just one of those loosers who watched everything for the event.

I knew that Nintendos console was a who'll new console prior to the press con but in the press con they never even got into the actual system at all. They acted as though it was purely a controller. It was kinda weird. Maybe I missed something because I was working while it was on but even in interviews Reggie didn't give up anything. I was just critiquing their communication skills are that of a first grader. I can't read Reggies mind and should have to have a web page open to know what they are talking about.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Hands down the favorite has to be Battlefield 3.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:42 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I forgot about Street Fighter X Tekken, btw. That looks pretty sweet as well. The Tomb Raider trailer had me feelin' kinda funny, like when you climb the rope in gym class. Seeing it in action would be pretty sweet.

That does look good, I'd appreciate a MvC3 control scheme for it to increase accessibility.

I also had a strange feeling watching tomb raider, like I'm loving this its amazing... then you think about the game in a real context, you are watching a woman be brutalized and enjoying it... Then I just said/thought, "if drake can do it so can Laura" and got over it.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:45 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Hands down the favorite has to be Battlefield 3.

oh yeah my most anticipated of the year for sure, between what I've seen and what I can assume BF3 is going to be the best, 4 player co-op campaign on pc!!!! AWESOME! That alone has me pretty much sold.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:50 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
I wasn't at the show I was just one of those loosers who watched everything for the event.

I knew that Nintendos console was a who'll new console prior to the press con but in the press con they never even got into the actual system at all. They acted as though it was purely a controller. It was kinda weird. Maybe I missed something because I was working while it was on but even in interviews Reggie didn't give up anything. I was just critiquing their communication skills are that of a first grader. I can't read Reggies mind and should have to have a web page open to know what they are talking about.

The interface is the computer. How you interact with the console is the console, IMO. There were pictures online of what the console looks like and that'll answer most peoples' questions - HDMI port, USB ports, looks like a bigger version of the Wii. Anything technical is rarely divulged early on.

They had a message and they stuck to it. They're not ready to talk any more than this about a device that's still 18 months out.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:13 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
They had a message and they stuck to it. They're not ready to talk any more than this about a device that's still 18 months out.

I guess, made for a super boring press con and lame interviews though. Sony had an answer for every question regarding the NGP. I know the NGP is closer, lol. I don't know why they don't have the 3DS gain some functionality to combo with the new console.

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Gears of War 3!

Was also excited to see new Ninja Gaiden footage, but saddened at the lack of dismemberment and the addition of QTE's.

And I do agree that BF3 is looking sick, I'll probably pick up copies of it for both the 360 and PC so I can play with all my friends.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:21 am

EsotericLord wrote:
Gears of War 3!

Was also excited to see new Ninja Gaiden footage, but saddened at the lack of dismemberment and the addition of QTE's.

And I do agree that BF3 is looking sick, I'll probably pick up copies of it for both the 360 and PC so I can play with all my friends.

Gears of war 3 is going to be awesome the Beta ended on a great note. The primary issue with GoW3 for me is the fact it uses xbox live and I hate hate hate xbox live.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Battlefield 3 owns me... although Mass Effect 3 will get a piece of the cake too.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:06 am

I know that BF3 will by my most played game but I also know I'm buying all of the top 20 games of this years E3 pending decent reviews. I just can't wait for the 4 player co-op and the 64 player maps!!! Also waiting to upgrade my tower to play the game. Want to see what hardware benchmarks the best, I need to know how bulldozer benchmarks with the game as well as how AMD and Nvidias graphics solutions hold up.