Topic Author

Apple's iCloud uses Windows Azure

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 am

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Apple's iCloud uses Windows Azure

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:54 am

Well here's the deal:

For all of Apple's brilliance in designing beautiful hardware and beautiful operating system interfaces, they fall on their face when they provide their own online products. .Mac or MobileMe users for the last 9-10 years have learned that the very, very hard way. I see this as a positive thing for people hoping for a good online sync experience. And I'm sure VZW and ATT are looking forward to it, as well, since it should be enough to get folks to go over their 2GB monthly limit and they can charge $10/GB in overage charges.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:17 am

Why is this so shocking? Why reinvent the wheel when it already made.

This is the same reason Microsoft buys so many other businesses only to repackage and stamp as Microsoft.

Furthermore MS collaborating with Apple isnt anything new. MS was once Apple's savior.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 am

These must the same people who were shocked, Shocked!, to discover that Microsoft ran Hotmail on Solaris servers, or that Apple stores used WinCE POS terminals, or that Macs went x86, or that IBM's OS/2 team planned for a MACH kernel, or that IE and Mozilla were both evolutions of NCSA Mosaic, or that the New Coke tasted too much like Pepsi. Or that the Old one was reformulated to be Kosher, AND Halal.

Yes these are undoubtedly the kosher guys, more righteous than a right angle yet just as bent.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:19 pm

^^ what?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Hotmail originally ran on FreeBSD servers when Microsoft bought the company. It now runs on Windows servers.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:16 pm

I was asking more about the intense rambling more than anything. That and, why would people be surprised, I guess.

End User

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Well here's the deal:

For all of Apple's brilliance in designing beautiful hardware and beautiful operating system interfaces, they fall on their face when they provide their own online products. .Mac or MobileMe users for the last 9-10 years have learned that the very, very hard way.

I've been using Apple's online service since iTools. While Mobile Me had a rough launch the service overall has been excellent.

iCloud brings much needed feature enhancements and, of course, the price is finally right.

Corrado

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:46 am

End User wrote:
I've been using Apple's online service since iTools. While Mobile Me had a rough launch the service overall has been excellent.

iCloud brings much needed feature enhancements and, of course, the price is finally right.

.Mac was terrible. The web mail was so god awful slow ALL THE TIME regardless of your internet connection speed. For $100 a year, they could at least have tried to run it on proper equipment.

End User

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Corrado wrote:
End User wrote:

.Mac was terrible. The web mail was so god awful slow ALL THE TIME regardless of your internet connection speed. For $100 a year, they could at least have tried to run it on proper equipment.

I don't recall having any performance issues with the MobileMe web apps. I have the MobileMe calendar app running in a Thunderbird tab under Ubuntu 24/7 and it performs as well as a native app even on my 1201N netbook. I've got MobileMe mail running under Chromium in X11 via a SSH tunnel to my home network right now and it runs fine.

MobileMe is really about keeping your iOS and OS X devices in sync (mail/cal/contacts, etc.). The web apps are secondary.

Corrado

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:14 pm

End User wrote:
MobileMe is really about keeping your iOS and OS X devices in sync (mail/cal/contacts, etc.). The web apps are secondary.

I had it welllll before the iPhone and iOS even existed.

End User

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Corrado wrote:
End User wrote:

I had it welllll before the iPhone and iOS even existed.

Bully for you!

Corrado

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:58 pm

End User wrote:
Bully for you!

My point being that the purpose of the product I paid $100 a year for was NOT to keep my iOS and OS X devices in sync, as one didn't even exist yet. If I'm paying $100 a year for an email address and some online storage, it damn well better be flawless in every respect.

End User

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Corrado wrote:
My point being that the purpose of the product I paid $100 a year for was NOT to keep my iOS and OS X devices in sync, as one didn't even exist yet. If I'm paying $100 a year for an email address and some online storage, it damn well better be flawless in every respect.

Why were you paying $100 for a product that you did not like which had free alternatives? Are you still using MobileMe?

Corrado

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Unfortunately, I had a resume out and that was the contact email. I was desperately lookin for a job at that point. As soon as I had the opportunity I did not renew and I no longer subscribe. They got 2 years out of me though.

End User

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Email client via POP/IMAP was/is/will be the better option.