tv shows you enjoy watching that aren't mainstream

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: tv shows you enjoy watching that aren't mainstream

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 am

mafropetee wrote:
sironomus wrote:"The IT Crowd" deserves mention. It suffered from a laugh track but other than that was very good.

I love that show. Really quirky and unrealistic, just how I like it.

If you like anime, Deathnote is a really good little 37 episode series. I can't really explain it. Just go find it on Netflix.

Come on man, don't be one of those guys, it's Death Note. (I really hope you don't call... well I wouldn't call him a protagonist, but I just hope you don't call him Raito regardless)

I've been very into Archer lately. It's like Arrested Development meets James Bond meets Frisky Dingo.
Really what sells me on it is the natural dialogue, and the juxtaposition of incredibly clever references and phrasings with incredibly juvenile sexual humour. Something for both sides of my sensabilities!
(Also, its a show that really does appeal to people who nerd out on things like literature without pandering to them like a show like Big Bang Theory does)
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:43 am

Any PBS Fans?

Barbeque U: Its amazing the host hasn't had a heart attack yet. He always finds a reason to add butter.
Ask This Old House: The Boston accents make me smile. Plus the guys are home improvement wizards.

Most of the rest of the TV I watch is pretty mainstream, when I get around to watching it. I do like Wipeout more than is normal, which balances out watching public television, I suppose. :)
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]
highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:19 am

I liked the original brit version of Life on Mars, and the "sequel" series Ashes to Ashes.
I also liked Space: Above and Beyond and Better Off Ted.
I've been working my way through Dollhouse on Netflix....I can definitely see why it was canceled, but I think it tells a pretty interesting story and can't wait to see how the long term plot elements are resolved (I'm hoping at least some of them are...).
Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:41 am

I rather enjoyed Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.
I.S.T.
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 am

Agatha Christie's Poirot.

Its in it final run... :(
tempmike
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 am

I miss Stargate Universe.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:40 am

The Trailer Park Boys from Canada.
R-Rated, Hilarious.

*NSFW*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3QHoqfhX8
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... back to you with the weather, Bob!
computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 pm

I really enjoy watching The Shield. I've got all 7 seasons but so far have only watched the first 5 due to lack of time (going on past form, I know I'll watch an entire season in one sitting — again). The Wire will be my next one on my list.

Other than that, Spaced, Black Books, The Mighty Boosh, QI, Peep Show, IT Crowd etc are all perfectly watchable.

I wonder what the mainstream watches?
kyboshed
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:28 pm

The Shield and The Wire are two of the greatest shows ever made. The Wire is the greater epic story, slower paced, extremely deliberate, with an intensely full cast of characters generally bestowed with real depth. The Shield is much faster paced, less character development, with wilder and crazier twists 'n turns and cliffhangers. And I think Vic Mackey is a much more interesting character than Jack Bauer. And the ending is AMAZING. "Family meeting!"

The reality spectrum goes: The Wire -----> The Shield ------> 24
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:31 pm

"Foyles War" is an awesome crime detective show based during WWII in England. Originally aired on the BBC. I have never been able to tolerate british humor or television but this show is awesome.. you will probably have to buy the dvd's if you want to watch it. Just read the reviews on Amazon.
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!
DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:01 am

sironomus wrote:"The IT Crowd" deserves mention. It suffered from a laugh track but other than that was very good.

If you liked that then you should check out The Mighty Boosh. With special mention to the Legend of Old Greg.
SN95G5v3/A64 3500+ 2.2ghz@1.2v 800mhz@0.8v/1gb Geil UltraX/Seagate 250gb/Seagate 320gb/Liteon DVD/XFX 6600GT/2x2005FPW
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.
dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:55 am

SPOOFE wrote:The reality spectrum goes: The Wire -----> The Shield ------> 24

I liked the first 2 seasons of 24 but got bored by the 3rd.
kyboshed
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:12 am

I can't say enough about The Wire. It is without a doubt the best TV show ever made.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am

Flight of the Conchords
Summer Heights High
How not to live your life

Everything else is pretty mainstreamy:
SoA
Dexter
Skins
The inbetweeners
Black Books
Coupling
Scrubs
How I met your mother
Breaking Bad
etc.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX770 SC ACX | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 8 x64
yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:18 am

Turkina wrote:I've been working my way through Dollhouse on Netflix....I can definitely see why it was canceled, but I think it tells a pretty interesting story and can't wait to see how the long term plot elements are resolved (I'm hoping at least some of them are...).

None of them are. They pull the biggest ass story out of their asses. There I ruined it for you. OR DID I? :evil:
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX770 SC ACX | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 8 x64
yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Torchwood.....not well known in the U.S. but popular in the U.K. And Sherlock I am excited for its return this fall, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman do an outstanding job as Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

Incidentally, Martin Freeman is Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming Hobbit film/s.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Firefly
Kyle XY
Supernatural
Smallville
The new "Doctor Who" season 1-4 I don't like the new Doctor in seasons 5 and 6
Journeyman
Carnivale
Dresden File
Warehouse 13
Eureka
Haven
NeronetFi
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:54 pm

kyboshed wrote:
SPOOFE wrote:The reality spectrum goes: The Wire -----> The Shield ------> 24

I liked the first 2 seasons of 24 but got bored by the 3rd.

I've never seen more than four or five episodes of 24 from any given season; enough to know that The Shield is exactly half The Wire, and Half 24.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 pm

tanker27 wrote:Torchwood.....not well known in the U.S. but popular in the U.K. And Sherlock I am excited for its return this fall, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman do an outstanding job as Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

Incidentally, Martin Freeman is Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming Hobbit film/s.

Did you see the first 3 episodes that aired last year? I've been eagerly awaiting more. Very good, in my opinion.

I also really liked Deadwood. Another HBO series that I think not too many people watched, but very, very good. Sometimes I am a little turned off by some of the violence and language in HBO stuff, but The Wire and Deadwood are so good I can get past it.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack

Postposted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Burn Notice season 5 premier is tonight. I saw it mentioned in this thread, so I figured such information was relevant. Go watch it...when the time comes.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Oh, jeez, I can't believe it took me this long to think of it: Anyone else watch The Venture Bros? I finally got the entirety of Season 4 and it's just getting better and better. Got two more seasons to go, too. :D
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 pm

SPOOFE wrote:Oh, jeez, I can't believe it took me this long to think of it: Anyone else watch The Venture Bros? I finally got the entirety of Season 4 and it's just getting better and better. Got two more seasons to go, too. :D

My friend JUST got me into this last week. I have only watched a few episodes. My friend stressed that it just gets better and better and to not judge the show on the first few. Pretty funny though.
DancinJack

Postposted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:57 pm

I love "The venture brothers" on adult swim.Even though i seem to be the only person on the planet who watches it(or at least out of the poeple i know).

Also "Outsourced" It premiered after the office last season, then quickly got bumped up to a 10:30 time slot.Why no one liked it is beyond me.Thought it was frikin hilarious.

Edit: damnit should have read all the way through SPOOFE and dancinjack beat me to it.... but yeah your friends right.It takes the better part of the first season to get into full swing, but is hilarious after it does.
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit
MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:54 pm

My friend JUST got me into this last week. I have only watched a few episodes. My friend stressed that it just gets better and better and to not judge the show on the first few. Pretty funny though.

It does a good job consistently fleshing out its own wacky little mythos, that's for sure. It requires a familiarity with older and more obscure pop culture, comic book references, old '60s-'70s cartoons, and the like, but I've always felt it maintains internal consistency. And I love the story structure; most episodes can be enjoyed on their own, but you also get plenty of pieces to put together very satisfying arcs every season.

I'm a friggin' shill for every scene with Hunter Gathers. :D
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:55 am

Jerseylicious

Not well known here in Australia, lol.
AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:51 am

axeman wrote:At the other end of the spectrum (as opposed to completely family friendly), certain episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are probably the funniest thing I've ever watched. "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis" and "The Gang Gets Invincible" are a couple that come to mind.

I agree. Always Sunny is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. They really have no boundaries.
2500K @ 4.5ghz || ASUS P8Z68-V LX || Corsair Vengeance DDR1600 8GB || EVGA GTX660 SC 2GB ||
Topower ZU-550W 550-Watt || M-AUDIO BX5a || Dell U2312HM || Acer H213H || ASUS Xonar DG ||
WDBlack1TB || WDBlack640GB || 2x WDGreen 2TB || Crucial M4 128GB ||
travbrad
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 am

I payed a pretty penny for the DVD of the one season of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Bruce Campbell, as a badass cowboy, with sci-fi. Total win.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:26 am

Glorious wrote:The Wire.

It is the best show of all time.

You beat me to it.
A man must have a code -Bunk
deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Whedon's Dollhouse. The first season started with a few slow and formulaic episodes but was still enjoyable. Then Whedon shifted into high gear and Dollhouse became pure awesomeness along the lines of Firefly. Fox actually kept Dollhouse alive for a second season, which gave Whedon the opportunity to wrap up the story. There is so much crammed into the second season that it made my head spin. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Edit: some excellent shows already mentioned. Red Dwarf, Yes Minister, Flight of the Conchords, Burn Notice, Psych are all great fun.
Palek
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Lots of good shows mentioned. I've been watching King, a Canadian police drama. Also White Collar and Royal Pains on USA.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Previous

Return to The Back Porch