Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

SSH Tunnel server on Windows

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:18 am

I'm looking to set up an SSH tunnel server on my Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine at home. My coworkers have recently found it amusing to use apps like Faceniff to grab cookies off my jobs open wireless network and play around with other people's facebook accounts. It's made me conscious of the data I access through my phone, and I'd like to create an SSH tunnel through which I can push all the data on my phone. There are apps out there for Android, the two phones I'd be using would be a T-Mobile G2X and a Motorola Droid, that allow you to create an SSH tunnel, but I have had no luck using cygwin and openssh or CopSSH.

I've had more luck getting CopSSH set up, but ultimately have been unable to connect to the server using my phone. Does anyone know of a guide, or can any one give me some guidance on how to get this set up and working?
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: SSH Tunnel server on Windows

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:10 pm

OpenSSH does work for Windows. Try on the same network. Meaning disbable the EVDO/HSPA and use the built in WIFI first on the phone. Turn off the firewall on the Windows Server so you can rule out everything. Get that to work then start bring the firewalls back on line and troubleshoot as needed.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:36 pm

IIRC the OpenSSH for Windows is actually a pre-packaged Cygwin app, which AFAIK should work fine on Win7.

Alternatively, if you've got RAM to spare you could run a full-blown Linux distro in a VM...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:04 pm

another option would be to create a VPN between your home windows machine and the phone. I know that iphone by default has VPN capabilities, so I am sure the android does as well. Something to the effect of this

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:07 pm

I know these are kind of silly, but is the port open all the way back to your box? Outbound SSH might be blocked, for obvious reasons; this can be checked with a port scanner.

Is port forwarding setup on the SSH server, and can you connect on your local network?

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:15 pm

njenabnit wrote:
another option would be to create a VPN between your home windows machine and the phone.

A VPN is really the better option since it will route traffic through it automatically when it's active. In this scenario, SSH is kind of a ghetto VPN, and the reconfiguration of the phone might be a pain.

There are hosted VPNs like StrongVPN which are supposed to solve the problem the OP has.
http://www.strongvpn.com/

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:34 pm

hmm I'm not sure an ssh tunnel is ever going to be a practical option for facebook on a mobile...

When I connect to a simple web server I can just open a tunnel with

ssh -L 5000:somesite.com:80 [email protected]

and then go to http://127.0.0.1:5000 in my browser.

That doesn't work on most servers though as they're using virtual hosts so I hack my hosts file with something like:
127.0.0.1 somesite.com

but that doesn't work with facebook as they're going to have all kinds of fancy load balancers and multiple servers and whatnot.

a quick bit of looking found some instructions for installing foxproxy but I'm not sure this is an option on a phone.

Probably the best option is to setup some kind of vpn as others have suggested.

Actually this does make me wonder if there's a market for a preconfigured sheevaplug or something that could do this.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!