Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

aces170
Gerbil

Re: General photography thread [img heavy]

Mon May 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Jo: Some nice clicks there, can you share the exif info too?

This was one of my entries to be shortlisted for an exhibition of the movie "Dhobi Ghat". the theme was life in Mumbai..
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433810/?li ... 0367522732

Got him!! by Sahil Udani, on Flickr

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 19, 2011 2:06 am

Night photography in the rain. First shot with the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, second with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II. Both with the 7D.

Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 26, 2011 1:06 pm

And now for something completely different...a few weddings! The first series of shots is from the wedding I shot in April and the last set is from my sister's wedding last weekend. I was NOT the main photographer for my sister's wedding, which allowed me to have a bunch of fun...but I did have my camera with me for parts...

April Wedding:

And my sister's wedding:

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Wow.... is that last picture with the lightning enhanced at all? If not then just............ :o

Jobodaho, any chance I could burrow you on July 23rd in Fairbanks/North Pole Alaska for my wedding :)? If thats even a possiblity, send me a PM with what you would need/require.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Welch wrote:
Wow.... is that last picture with the lightning enhanced at all? If not then just............ :o

Jobodaho, any chance I could burrow you on July 23rd in Fairbanks/North Pole Alaska for my wedding :)? If thats even a possiblity, send me a PM with what you would need/require.

The lightning shot was VERY difficult to get...so many things fighting against me (almost no light on the balcony, slow shutter speed, high ISO, no tripod as I was there to have fun, and moving subjects) and I was so happy when this image showed up as it was the only one that the stars aligned to produce a usable image. When editing the image I wanted to find a way to really highlight the "glow" behind them, and after many attempts I settled on a split toned black and white image that uses a warmed tint to the highlights and a cool tint to the low lights. Other than the tinting of the image it was pretty much "as shot" outside of some exposure correction and added vignetting.

I really do wish I could meet you in Alaska, that would be so awesome, but unfortunately my July is slammed right now with both my real job and weddings...but the offer is a huge compliment and much appreciated!!!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 31, 2011 1:34 am

When my grandmother began to seriously slow down, and then finally passed away, my grandfather didn't have time or energy to keep her spectacular flower gardens going. He has, however, kept up the irises:

All shot on the Canon 7D with the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM at f/3.5. I tried a few shots with the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM as well, but this set turned out better.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:25 pm

I have been quite busy with a lot of things...including photography. I can't quite post images from my first big photography commission yet as I am currently still in the process of taking the pictures, but I can however post some images from my recent business trip to New Mexico where I was able to slip out to the White Sands National Monument.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 pm

@jobodaho: you could sell those dune shots to a poster company, the lighting is absolutely perfect.

And now for something completely different: Bantam Hens! Was in Corvallis, Oregon and surrounding areas over the weekend of the 12th for my sister's graduation, and a family friend who hosted the party afterwards keeps egg chickens. They have been completely tamed by repeated contact with young children bearing bread crumbs and old produce, so the challenge was keeping them far enough away for the Tokina ATX 80-200mm f/2.8 to actually focus. Puh-kawwwk!

Not too happy about the overexposed branches in the fourth frame, but it was too dark under the tree to get the shot without a flash, and my speedlite had been left behind due to luggage limitations.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:50 am

Recent trip to Cincinnati Zoo & Newport Aquarium:

Wind, Sand and Stars.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:20 am

I likes that first shark image. Pity about the scratches on the window glass, the shot otherwise has such perfectly defined colors that it looks like movie CG.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:31 am

Yes, that shark image is great, and I also really like the polar bear shot as well

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys.

@ludi: nice bokeh on those chicken shots. Are you using the 70-200/2.8?

jobo: your shots continue to astound me, some great wedding shots in the past few posts.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
@ludi: nice bokeh on those chicken shots. Are you using the 70-200/2.8?

Tokina ATX 80-200 f/2.8, actually. So far it has been a surprisingly good purchase, considering it's a third-party, film-era design.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks a lot Voldenuit!!!

We had our first clear night in a VERY long time so I couldn't resist staying up way past my bedtime to get a shot...

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:10 pm

A few from yesterday

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm not trying to completely steal this thread...I've just been shooting a lot this summer and I won't be slowing down anytime soon...

A few from the wedding I shot June 10th:

aces170
Gerbil

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:03 am

Jobodaho: Beautiful snaps. Whats your flickr ID?

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:13 am

Sunrise over Spice Lake in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (Northern Minnesota):

Sunset over Beaver Lake in South Dakota (just north of Yankton):

Both taken with my HTC EVO. The first one is a bit blurry due to my phone being in a water proof bag.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:18 am

aces170 wrote:
Jobodaho: Beautiful snaps. Whats your flickr ID?

Thanks aces! I do not have a flickr ID...I have not had the time to set one up. Maybe it's because I have not found a reason that it would significantly help me...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:05 am

While the rest of the country is playing inside the E-Z-Bake Oven, the Colorado front range is having two consecutive weeks of unusually heavy monsoon weather. Tuesday night, facing northeast through an 8th-floor office window, using the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 at long exposure times and very high f-stops:

Wednesday evening, another big storm was forming against the sunset and made for some interesting shots of an abandoned sugar beet mill. This time, facing south with the Tokina 12-24mm f/4:

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:26 am

Cool lightning grabs ludi! I have yet to get any this year...time to start seeking them...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:42 pm

jobodaho wrote:
Cool lightning grabs ludi! I have yet to get any this year...time to start seeking them...

I ended up getting my best shots that night at ISO 800 and around f/11-f/15 or so, with 20 second exposures. Seemed to catch the correct balance of lightning flare and cityscape lights without completely blowing out either one. Probably could have stepped down to f/9 and may 15 seconds to better compensate for the window tinting, though.

Interestingly, that shot with the lightning arc following the outer curve of the lens circle had vivid chromatic aberration, and required a fairly strong PP adjustment to kill. First time I've had an obvious CA occurrence in one my images.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

ludi wrote:
Interestingly, that shot with the lightning arc following the outer curve of the lens circle had vivid chromatic aberration, and required a fairly strong PP adjustment to kill. First time I've had an obvious CA occurrence in one my images.

Well I would say that's also a pretty extreme example of both light to dark contrast AND being at the edge of the frame where CA's are more prevalent.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Twitter: @xmunos

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Alex, HDR? Looks cool regardless!

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 am

jobodaho wrote:
Alex, HDR? Looks cool regardless!

Yep, HDR. Thanks!

Backyard pal by DigitAl3x, on Flickr
Twitter: @xmunos

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:30 pm

I had not seen Alex's post until now...it's crazy we both have spider shots to share! This guy has had a prime location all summer next to our flood light on the deck, and he has gotten huge!

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 pm

This thread seems to be slowing down...

Edit: Here's another from last night...I was driving home from shooting a wedding during a lightning storm, I probably missed the ideal shooting time by about 10 minutes and when I was finally able to stop I had about 2 minutes to get a shot.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:21 am

jobodaho wrote:
This thread seems to be slowing down...

Still here :lol: Sweet barn shot, that oversaturated "oil film" rainbow in the clouds is an interesting effect.

I simply haven't gotten outside much to do any real shooting, but hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll get in a short day hike somewhere. Meanwhile, here are some funnel cloud shots from July 14. Storm was moving fast and it was too late in the season for a tornado to stabilize, but sure did look impressive, especially for throwing this kind of show right over downtown Denver:

All shot with the Tokina ATX 80-200mm f/2.8. Unfortunately the tint on the office windows did awful things to my contrast and sharpness, necessitating heavy post processsing, which further degraded the sharpness... :roll:

deb0
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Shot this while at Destin this year on vacation with family:

Shot with Canon 5DMarkII with EF 16-35 F2.8L II