Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

themattman
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Looking for point-and-shoot camera suggestions

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I am looking for a digital point-and-shoot camera for a family member. The requirements are pretty simple: thin, easy to use (will most likely never switch from auto mode), and between $100-$300. Any suggestions, good or bad, from recent camera purchases? Since I will not be using the camera, things such as full manual and the best possible picture quality are not too important.

I just started looking today, so I will be posting some links for advice soon.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Looking for point-and-shoot camera suggestions

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:36 pm

For a basic point n shoot camera, the contenders are pretty indistinguishable in IQ, especially to the casual user. You can assume that any compact camera on the market today will be fine in bright light and atrocious in low light/indoors.

Consider getting them a water-proof compact - this will broaden their shooting capabilities to underwater, watersports, dusty environments (I bought my fiancée a water-proof compact for her to take to Egypt a few years back). These tend to be more variable in performance and image quality, and it's worth researching the make and model before deciding. Panasonic, Pentax, Canon, Olympus and Sony all make cameras with varying degrees of water and shock resistance.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

rhema83
Gerbil

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:54 pm

The new Canon ELPH with the hybrid IS system is pretty good. Considering that the worst thing that can happen to a point-and-shoot user is a blurred shot (instead of selecting the wrong aperture / shutter speed), a good anti-shake system is pretty much mandatory.

As said before, image quality among point-and-shoot models are in the same ballpark, and the aesthetic design is a matter of personal taste.
My gaming rig: i5-4440, Asus H87M-E, Corsair DDR3-1600 8GB, Zotac GTX1060 6GB AMP!, Corsair Force 3 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung 23.5" 1080p TN monitor, Windows 10 Pro

bluepiranha
Gerbil

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 pm

My sister and I got my mom a Canon IXUS 210 for her birthday. Pocketable, light, easy to use, with a touch-screen interface and a decent 5x zoom lens. Comes in a bunch of colors, too.

We got it for PhP13,500, which is roughly $300.

I think it's sold as the SD3500IS in the US.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020 ... 3500is.asp
Ad astra per aspera.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Start your research here.

Waterproof is an interesting point. Other than that, how compact you want it to be, whether you can use AA batteries, how easy the menu system, are all factors to consider.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

bluepiranha
Gerbil

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:22 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
whether you can use AA batteries

I borrowed my girlfriend's old Canon PowerShot SX100IS for my three-week trip of Europe. It was a pretty damn good travel camera. 10X zoom, P/A/S/M/Full-Auto metering, and it runs on two AA batteries. I had four rechargeable AA dry cells and I just kept cycling and charging through them throughout the trip. I used it primarily in P and A mode, playing with the exposure metering.

It has a newer sibling, the SX130IS, with an even longer 12X zoom lens (although not as "fast" as the SX100IS due to slightly smaller maximum aperture). Both cameras are shaped roughly the same. They're both kind of thick and chubby, but lend themselves well to one-handed shooting. I guess that long zoom lens has to go somewhere.
Ad astra per aspera.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:31 am

Canon, Panasonic, and Nikon make some nifty point and shoot cameras. I don't remember the model, but there's a Panasonic model that one of my friends has that's really thin and automatic and all that, but it has low-light picture quality that rivals an entry level SLR. Panasonic is doing something right, so check them out. In Canon's line, the two cameras I personally think are good P&S's are the SD1300 and SD4000, depending on where you want to hit your budget. Even the SD4000 leaves enough money for goodies, like an extra battery, SD card, and maybe even a bag.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III