Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Xonar DX odd problem

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 am

I've recently bought a Xonar DX sound card. After installing the card and the drivers I noticed something really strange:

"These drivers must be wrong!" I thought so I went to the Asus website and downloaded the latest drivers there.
Still German.

"I'll take this opportunity and download better drivers!" I thought so I got the Uni Xonar drivers and installed those.
Still German.

Why on earth is almost everything on my Xonar in German? And how do I set it to English?
My Windows is in English and the text on the box of the Xonar was in English as well.
not a doctor

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Xonar DX odd problem

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Stupid question, but do you have something in your locale settings that is configured for German?

I ask this because many times, installers are bone-headed and they use the language from the input location instead of system language. For instance, I live in Portugal, but I have my Windows in English. Just because my locale/keyboard are Portuguese, sometimes programs insist on using that language instead of the system default.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:28 pm

morphine wrote:
Stupid question, but do you have something in your locale settings that is configured for German?

I ask this because many times, installers are bone-headed and they use the language from the input location instead of system language. For instance, I live in Portugal, but I have my Windows in English. Just because my locale/keyboard are Portuguese, sometimes programs insist on using that language instead of the system default.

My PC's location is set to United Kingdom. The language is set to English (United Kingdom) and my keyboard is set to Japanese or English.
The only link with Germany I can imagine is that the internet store where I bought it might have gotten it from Germany because they have lower tax rates. But the words on box were not in German.
not a doctor

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Xonar drivers seem to be like that. I also have all my OS settings in english, although my keyboard and locale for decimal and numbers are swedish, and the Xonar drivers defaults to swedish.

Ph.D - try to set all the settings to english, no matter what, and reinstall the drivers. A.k.a. remove the japaneese from the keyboard settings, etc. It might work... on the other hand, it might not work. That said, the translation on those drivers are horrid. When the exact same message came up in swedish, I had to read it 3 times.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Xonar drivers seem to be like that. I also have all my OS settings in english, although my keyboard and locale for decimal and numbers are swedish, and the Xonar drivers defaults to swedish.

Ph.D - try to set all the settings to english, no matter what, and reinstall the drivers. A.k.a. remove the japaneese from the keyboard settings, etc. It might work... on the other hand, it might not work. That said, the translation on those drivers are horrid. When the exact same message came up in swedish, I had to read it 3 times.

I won't delete the Japanese keyboard layout since I am actually using a Japanese keyboard. Not to mention that I do not see a relation between having a Japanese keyboard layout and my Xonar being in German.
They can't have seriously hardcoded German into that card right? That would mean they'd have to release different versions for each language. That's just downright silly.
not a doctor

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Ph.D wrote:
I've recently bought a Xonar DX sound card. After installing the card and the drivers I noticed something really strange:

"These drivers must be wrong!" I thought so I went to the Asus website and downloaded the latest drivers there.
Still German.

"I'll take this opportunity and download better drivers!" I thought so I got the Uni Xonar drivers and installed those.
Still German.

Why on earth is almost everything on my Xonar in German? And how do I set it to English?
My Windows is in English and the text on the box of the Xonar was in English as well.

Here's what I hope is a link to the US English version options for different OS'--
http://support.asus.com/download/option ... -us&type=1
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Yeah I've already tried to use the drivers from Asus, and the Uni Xonar drivers too (which are certainly not German).
No luck.

I am also not in Germany or have ever visited Germany in case anyone was wondering about some sort of automatic locator device.

Can it be that it thinks my motherboard is German? It was bought at the same time from the same store but I haven't encountered any other Germanised program on my PC so far...
not a doctor

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Ph.D wrote:
I won't delete the Japanese keyboard layout since I am actually using a Japanese keyboard. Not to mention that I do not see a relation between having a Japanese keyboard layout and my Xonar being in German.
They can't have seriously hardcoded German into that card right? That would mean they'd have to release different versions for each language. That's just downright silly.

I thought you also used an english keyboard, but yeah, then it might not work. The weird thing is that beyond german, it should've went for the Jpn language file, not the Deu. And the language reference is not easily found, so it could just reference something each time its run. Only thing I havent tried is changing system local, which is for non-unicode programs. Might try that since I just installed some patches.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Yepp, it's tied to system locale.

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:52 pm

I can't imagine how driver software would track you wherever you went. Scary and a bit ridiculous to contemplate.

Did you talk to Asus? You could try removing the driver software and the registry entries and downloading the most recent version of the drivers from their website.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Aphasia wrote:

Well I'm not in Germany so I don't understand that, then.

destroy.all.monsters wrote:
I can't imagine how driver software would track you wherever you went. Scary and a bit ridiculous to contemplate.

Did you talk to Asus? You could try removing the driver software and the registry entries and downloading the most recent version of the drivers from their website.

I guess maybe just deleting the drivers is not enough. Still don't understand at all how this happened though.
not a doctor

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Ph.D wrote:
Aphasia wrote:

Well I'm not in Germany so I don't understand that, then.

Have you tried switching the System Locale to something then changing it back, requires a restart though. The only thing I can surmise is that its a bug due to some weird combination. You could also take a check that all the language files are available in the install dir so they actually got there...

English one is...(for my Xense)
C:\Program Files\ASUS Xonar Xense Audio\Customapp\AsusAudioCenterResEnu.dll

MrJP
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:33 pm

That is a weird one. I've got a Xonar DX running in the UK on Windows 7 with all UK location settings, and mine's all in English.

On a similar note to the previous post, how about temporarily renaming the German language file for the Audio Centre application (AsusAudioCenterResDeu.dll) and seeing if it then defaults to a different (hopefully default English) version?
i7-6700K ~ Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ~ 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400 ~ Radeon R9 Nano
Noctua NHU9S ~ Corsair Obsidian 250D ~ Corsair RM650X ~ Crucial MX100 512GB
SMSL M3 ~ Sennheiser HD555 ~ Logitech G500S/G910/G29 ~ LG 34UC79G

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 am

MrJP wrote:
That is a weird one. I've got a Xonar DX running in the UK on Windows 7 with all UK location settings, and mine's all in English.

On a similar note to the previous post, how about temporarily renaming the German language file for the Audio Centre application (AsusAudioCenterResDeu.dll) and seeing if it then defaults to a different (hopefully default English) version?
Or doing the opposite, move the Deu.dll and copy the Enu.dll to Deu.dll. That should work no matter what it defaults to.

Think I have to try to do that at home and copy the english dll to the swedish and reset my locale to sweden instead of english united states. Of course, I have no idea what other programs that doesnt do unicode and need a location, so it might just not be worth it.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm planning on redoing the full installation of the OS and other software. I'll make sore German doesn't feature into it anywhere.
If that doesn't do it I don't know what will. :)
not a doctor

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Ph.D wrote:

A "German For Dummies" book.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 pm

morphine wrote:
Ph.D wrote:

A "German For Dummies" book.

:cry:
not a doctor

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Or just forget about it. It's not like one cant understand what the parts of the driver that does what, no matter what language they are in.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm not going to just accept this. Only problem is I'm totally stuck (as you can read about in my thread in the Storage subforum of this site).
Never thought building this PC would go so totally wrong. :lol:
not a doctor