Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

deadrats
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

lamest game ever is now partially free

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:35 pm

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/201 ... level-20/1

Activision Blizzard has opened MMO World of Warcraft for free up to Level 20, permanently, in a surprise announcement reported via PC Gamer.

New users can now set up trial accounts which only cap out at Level 20 and which have no limit placed on how many characters a user can have, or how long they can play for.

now if only i didn't have a life i would be so stoked.

LaChupacabra
Gerbil First Class

Re: lamest game ever is now partially free

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Too bad you have to have the BOA gear to be viable in PVP. Otherwise a totally free level 19 twink guild might be fun.

But, if I still played I would be pissed. I can image the amount of in game spam will exponentially increase if Blizzard doesn't have a system in place to regulate account creation.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:52 pm

/flamebait

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Lol, deadrats hates WoW too...

I'm just wondering how far off will be the day when WoW closes its doors.

Been a good run so far. I have a life and still enjoy WoW.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:58 pm

LaChupacabra wrote:
Too bad you have to have the BOA gear to be viable in PVP. Otherwise a totally free level 19 twink guild might be fun.

But, if I still played I would be pissed. I can image the amount of in game spam will exponentially increase if Blizzard doesn't have a system in place to regulate account creation.

Spammers could already create trial accounts, this doesn't provide them any extra opportunity.

WoW won't be done there's a suitable game to take its place. It generates far too much revenue to close down before then. I haven't paid attention to subscriber numbers because I gave the game up several months ago but WoW was still gaining subscriptions even then. Anything less than another 3 to 4 years would shock me.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:12 pm

It's ok deadrats. Not everyone is good at WoW.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I'm just wondering how far off will be the day when WoW closes its doors.

A bit after Blizzard releases it's next MMO.

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Ttocs wrote:
A bit after Blizzard releases it's next MMO.

...a bit like CS died after Valve released HL2? :P

I know its a bit different, as CS isn't monthly, but at its peak today, over 60,000 players were on at once. Crazy, for a ~13 year old game!

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Meh. I never understood WoW. While it did help define the genre, there have been many a better MMO since it came out. I can't speak for Cataclysm, but I have given the game plenty of chances and I've just never enjoyed it at all. I would much rather play CoH or GW. Besides, nobody is gonna play WoW anymore once ToR comes out. Jedi Knight > Dwarf.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:57 pm

I doubt ToR makes much of a dent in the WoW subscriber base. While it might be a good game I think the largest draw to WoW these days are qualities new MMOs don't have. That's familiarity and community. With MMOs it isn't always so much that you're playing a game but logging into a universe.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Skrying wrote:
I doubt ToR makes much of a dent in the WoW subscriber base. While it might be a good game I think the largest draw to WoW these are qualities new MMOs don't have. That's familiarity and community. With MMOs it isn't always so much that you're playing a game but logging into a universe.

I was mostly joking. I know that no game will ever truly bring WoW down.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:06 am

Skrying wrote:
I doubt ToR makes much of a dent in the WoW subscriber base. While it might be a good game I think the largest draw to WoW these days are qualities new MMOs don't have. That's familiarity and community. With MMOs it isn't always so much that you're playing a game but logging into a universe.

I assure you it will make a dent. Since I have been Beta'ing it for sometime it is a WoW clone for the most part but it tells its stories very differently and not just with the voice stuff either. Theres still a lot of kinks to work out but it looks promising.

The thing about WoW is that a larger portion of the community is looking for something better or a quality alternative to WoW, me included. ToR has that potential.

as for the closing of WoW. I dont really see it ending, it probably will go to FtP once Titan is close or out the door.

As for deadrats trolling...I wouldnt have expected anything less.

Like Hawking74 stated I have a life and I still enjoy WoW. I dont put as much time into it as I used to but I staill raid and enjoy other games. Man I have been addicted to TF2 for a hand full of months now!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 am

I actually enjoyed Rift for the month that I had it, may even grab another month soon; but I'm a casual gamer when it comes to MMOs, and I like how they've done the ability system in Rift.