Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

fear3

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:13 am

what a waste of time and money. game looks old, textures even when set to very high are very bad. it's like the whole game is one big step backwards.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawodowy_fotograf/

i7 7700K--Gigabyte Z270x--EVGA GTX 1080--32GB DDR4 3200--DELL 4K--Crucial 500GB SSD--WD 2x4TB--Seagate 4TB--G-Drive 3TB (external)
5dmkIII

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Re: fear3

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:59 am

FEAR 2005=excellent game and GFX
Extraction Point 2006=okay game, same quality of GFX
Persues Mandate 2007=POS game, POS gfx
FEAR2 2009 =POS GAME, POS GFX
FEAR3 sux as well.....what else is new.....welcome to the console era of technologically and intellectually degraded gaming.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:07 pm

FEAR 1 was amazing, FEAR 2 was a joke. Not going to waste my time on this one.

How I long for something to rival the old days of playing FEAR Multiplayer, scrims every night, hyper-punching people in the nuts and destroying people with the G2A2.

FEAR is dead and a mockery of its former self. They threw away all of the gameplay mechanics that made it stand out in favor of copying COD4's design choices for FEAR 2 and now they are just another uninspired, generic shooter. Holstering, unarmed combat, awesome grenades, medkit and armor pickups to give incentive to moving, rushing, and making aggressive moves instead of camping, standout graphics (FEAR was the Crysis of 2005), it was a game that had it all in my opinion. It's just sad how a publisher can strongarm an otherwise good developer into developing a crappy console shooter and throw away all of the things that made the first game so great. Ah well, welcome to the XBox era, amirite?
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:08 pm

This is weird. Everywhere else I've been hearing that Fear 3 is a surprisingly good game. /shrug

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Skrying wrote:
This is weird. Everywhere else I've been hearing that Fear 3 is a surprisingly good game. /shrug

Listen, I don't know who told you that fear 3 was a good game but fear 2 had NOTHING on FEAR (PC), the first game had excellent AI, great music, and tough bosses. I played fear 2 with great hope because of fear 1. Craptacular I will say, the story line went into the trash with everything else when they decided to change the team that made FEAR. If it was sold or taken over or streamlined, whatever the reason this is why the game now officially sucks. Fear on Xbox was even better than fear 2. It was hard, like games used to be back in the good old days. Yes, consoles are destroying PC gaming in a way. Everyone wants to switch over to consoles because I heard on one of the tech podcasts, its harder to steal games for consoles, you can just download games from some web site now. Starcraft 2 had what, 1-2 million people that downloaded the stolen version of the game. These companies are looking at profits and I am sad to say that I see PC gaming going down, a PC will usually be better than any console, can't upgrade a consoles graphics or memory. Just like the DESTROYED C&C 4, no base building-how could you not see this not fail from the beginning.
Last edited by RAMBO on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

swaaye
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:27 pm

I bought the $10 Steam FEAR pack a few weeks ago. Honestly I think FEAR 2 feels a lot like a refined version of the original. And by that I mean they are both rather boring but functional corridor shooters with "scares". I do miss the leaning of FEAR 1 though. I never touched the multiplayer of these but the singleplayer is average at best.

The original and FEAR 2 are both the usual passable Monolith games but this 3rd one is made by a different company.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:35 pm

Skrying wrote:

From PC or console reviewers?

FEAR 1 was excellent, and started replaying a second time(got to the vault but didn't finish, computer died and got a new computer). Excellent game. FEAR 2 was "meh". It didn't bring anything new to the table and it was too predictable. "oh, my screen just shimmered. Guess I can expect Alma to appear. Yep, right on schedule". They could have at least brought some new "nightmare" type gameplay to the game or something. Graphics should have been much much better, it looks like they nerfed it for consoles.

FEAR 3? Saw a couple youtube clips and it just looked silly. Paxton Fettel, in his spirtual non-corporeal form is able to carry a gun? And now he's helping the Point Man? That, and I've stopped playing fps's because they're just getting lame as companies cater to the console crowd.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:40 am

I loved the first F.E.A.R. game and enjoyed it's expansion, and I enjoyed the second game for what it was. I'll probably get the collection of the first game and the third game when they hit inevitable sales.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Paxton Fettel, [...] helping the Point Man?

Couldn't come up with anyone else for a viable "co-op mode". You know, that's all the rage nowadays.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:20 am

Meadows wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:
Paxton Fettel, [...] helping the Point Man?

Couldn't come up with anyone else for a viable "co-op mode". You know, that's all the rage nowadays.

Portal 2 Co-op was fun and done quite well, and I'm still waiting for my Mass Effect three-way Co-op! And let's not forget the massive co-op that the Left 4 Dead series is.

Aside from that though...

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:16 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Skrying wrote:

From PC or console reviewers?.

I was told by a few people that it was significantly better than Fear 2 and while not as good as the original was still a decent FPS game. About the only game reviews I read these days are the reviews on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, which wasn't all that negative on Fear 3 either. But, apparently it is a horrible consolized piece of crap as backed up by no one who has seemingly played the game in this thread.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:32 am

While I agree that the graphics are atrocious by today's standards, I found the gameplay entertaining. Not innovative by any means, but there's something epic about possessing somebody, using their body to kill all their friends, and then making them gib everywhere.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:11 am

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
While I agree that the graphics are atrocious by today's standards, I found the gameplay entertaining. Not innovative by any means, but there's something epic about possessing somebody, using their body to kill all their friends, and then making them gib everywhere.

See, that's useful feedback. Thank you.

Skrying wrote:
About the only game reviews I read these days are the reviews on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, which wasn't all that negative on Fear 3 either. But, apparently it is a horrible consolized piece of crap as backed up by no one who has seemingly played the game in this thread.

Agreed. I'm loving RPS, as Shacknews somehow became quite useless lately.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:18 am

Airmantharp wrote:
ALiLPinkMonster wrote:

See, that's useful feedback. Thank you.

Except we're talking about a would-be horror action game, not a family afternoon with Left 4 Dead. The above quote/opinion is exactly why nobody here seems to like FEAR 3.