Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Is there any hope of a command and conquer (PC) return?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:42 am

I couldn't believe what they did with c&c 4. Is there any hope of recovery or some type of reboot?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Is there any hope of a command and conquer (PC) return?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:11 pm

As long as they think people will buy it, anything is possible.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Is there any reason to wish for a C&C reboot as long as EA is making it? None of the EA games have been as good as the bar that Westwood set. Unless someone else is making it, I don't really want to see another C&C game.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Red Alert remains my favorite PC game of all time. It pains me to say this, but given what EA has done to the franchise, I hope they never, ever make another Command & Conquer game. I doubt my wish will be granted. When they revive the franchise, it will probably be a console-port of even worse proportions than C&C 4 (which was designed for the PC first).
x--x--x--x

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Please God, No. I was a HUGE fan of CnC and really really enjoyed EA's early work, Generals and CnC3. But then Red Alert 3 came out, and against every fiber in my body telling me not to, I went out and bought it. It was rubbish with that whole "let's invite the console players in". I didn't finish the game as it was such a steaming pile of poo. When I first heard of the "new" gameplay for CnC 4, then saw the screenshots of the cartoonish looking units, That, with RA3 killed my love for all things CnC. I can't trust EA to make another CnC game proper (actually, I can't trust EA for anything).

I will firmly hold on to the fact that the CnC franchise ended after CnC3.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:58 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Is there any reason to wish for a C&C reboot as long as EA is making it? None of the EA games have been as good as the bar that Westwood set. Unless someone else is making it, I don't really want to see another C&C game.

You're right-you are all right, Westwood was the one that made it great-I do hate the last c&cs-and EA did destroy the franchise-whores. EA, words fall from your mouth like so much S#!^ from @$$

swaaye
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:07 pm

I know it's gonna be controversial for me to say so, but I think the Westwood RTS games got overrated after Red Alert. Tiberian Sun was years late and was average at best. Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for Dune were boring. Generals was a minor change up but still pretty much the same stuff. RA2 more of the same. C&C3 a "retro reboot" but it had only been a few years. I stopped there, especially when it looked like RA3 and C&C4 were just cash in trash.

I felt Westwood was totally outmaneuvered by their competition like Cavedog, Blizzard, and even Activision's Battlezone. The goofy FMV only excites me so much.