Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:28 am

I was wondering if anyone here has played Divinity II? I think it is one of the most underrated action RPGs of the last couple of years; I haven't come across anyone mentioning it here. I think there are a couple of reasons for this. When the first one (Ego Draconis), the engine and game play was lacking polish and the game just didn't run very well on many systems. However, if I have my story straight, when they made the sequel (Flames of Vengeance), they tweaked the engine quite a bit, as well as certain elements of the game play...

About a year ago they re-released the updated Eco Draconis and Flames of Vengeance together as Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. I have only player part of the first installment, but it is getting better and better. At first it felt a bit dated and clunky (and the combat continues to be a bit repetitive and clunky), but once the game gets going, things really pick up in my opinion, and the clunkiness takes a backseat once you can do things like turn into a dragon at will and fly around freely, etc... The story seems almost as good as any computer RPG I've played, and there is quite a bit of humor.

Long story short, if you enjoy RPGs on the PC and are getting tired of Dragon Age or Oblivion, then this is definitely worth a go.

And for those ready to make an impulse buy, it is 50% off for another hour and a half on Steam.

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:42 am

I played this game thru a few months back. I enjoyed it very much. It actually held my attention all the way to the end which is pretty rare for me these days. Hmm I might play it again now that you have me thinking about it. I botched a few quests that I would like to redo now.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 am

Yes the game is the best rpg that has come out since the Witcher.

However, now that The Witcher 2 is out I can no longer agree with that statement. However at the time, it ROCKED MY PANTS OFF. Plus I loved the pacing, story, AI, different ways to approach battles, tactics, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Deeeeeeeeep RPG.

Though I still prefer Arcanum / Fallout 2 etc. over these babies. But they're about the only recent thing worth claiming as an RPG.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 am

Hmm. I've been looking at that one wondering if I should pick it up. I didn't like the Dragon Age series much, but this one looks a little more to my liking. Maybe I'll grab it off steam.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga is again 50% off today at Steam. Perhaps a little lackluster savings-wise compared to some of the other features in their ongoing Summer Camp sale, but still a decent value, IMO.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Divinity 2 is imo one of the greatest rpg's ever. seriously. it has some balancing issues, where enemies are simply impossible until you reach a certain level, which is a annoying, but the game is tight. lots to upgrade, awesome story, with excellent writing. seriously some of the best writing i've ever seen in a game, dialogue is top notch. the expansion is huge, and adds a TON of gameplay.

worth the money, no question. it's long, interesting, and well done. at 50% off, it's a steal.
edit: cause i'm stupid.

DA2 blows.
Last edited by sweatshopking on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:50 pm

game aquired impulse purchase.........
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:08 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
Dragon age 2 is imo one of the greatest rpg's ever. seriously. it has some balancing issues, where enemies are simply impossible until you reach a certain level, which is a annoying, but the game is tight. lots to upgrade, awesome story, with excellent writing. seriously some of the best writing i've ever seen in a game, dialogue is top notch. the expansion is huge, and adds a TON of gameplay.

worth the money, no question. it's long, interesting, and well done. at 50% off, it's a steal.

Not that I don't value your input regarding the merits of Dragon Age 2; I truly do (you're the SSK, after all). However, wasn't it on sale like 5 days ago? And for 40% off, not 50%? Or is your last line referring to Divinity II? I'll pick up DA2 eventually, but I'm in no hurry at the moment...

... Speaking of which, I'm still a long way off from finishing Divinity II and just picked up Risen during yesterday's sale. Then there's The Witcher which I've been intending to finish for a while now... And Mass Effect 2 for $6.50 is tempting... Damn you, Steam! If I'd only bought the games I actually had time for, I could have paid full price and probably still saved money over the amount I've spent because of your tantalizing song luring me in during these bloody sales.. Get back Siren! Get thee behind me Sa-uh-Steam!

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:29 am

dude, i totally F'ed up. I hated DA2, Divinity 2 is the game i love. fixed my comment...