Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

p-dog
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:57 pm

eliza wrote:
UPDATE: After 3 weeks of smacking the TV it doesn't work anymore and there's no picture when we turn it on. We're thinking of replacing either the mother board or the circuit/power supply board? Which one should we replace? Anyone? :/

eliza,

Sounds like you are really having some woes with your TV. Now I can't promise anything but here is the phone # I called (the one with the very helpful service tech, read my posts on page 26) 321-953-5294. I spoke to John. Now this all started from a Samsung service request # for me so they already had some info on my situation. Again I can't promise you will get the same level of free advice I got but it is worth a shot to steer you in the right direction instead of piecemeal replacing part after part. If you get a chance to speak to them be very specific as to what your problem is and they may be able to help.

Good luck.
Last edited by p-dog on Thu May 12, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cafullmer
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 pm

I really appreciate all the information on this site. I have a Samsung LN32A330. It has started taking longer and longer to power on. It' won't be 3 years old until July. Today I didn't think it was going to power on but it finally did. After doing some reading about the power on problem on this board, I took the back off of the set. sure enough all of the capacitors are leaking electrolyte and 2 of them are bulging out on the top. I am really upset that Samsung, a supposed top brand makes these TV's this cheaply. I went ahead and purchased a power supply board from http://www.tvserviceparts.com since soldering has never been one of my better talents. Final cost for the the board will be $79.84 before shipping. I can send the old part to them and get $41.67 back for a core refund. Thanks again. If I hadn't stumbled upon this board I wouldn't have known where to start. :D

thebigferret
Gerbil In Training

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:14 am

I want to say thank you to techreport.com and all the forum participants. You can see my son and I fixing our Samsung on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgw9X6iSxdE&feature=youtube_gdata_player I never tried anything like this before, it's a testament to the great documentation found on this site. Thanks again.

skygunner27
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Last week my LNT4065 started having the same problems with capacitors going out and taking forever to start. So last night at 9PM my time I called 1-800-726-7864(Samsung) and spoke with a CSR. I explained the symptoms and gave my serial & model number. The CSR then trasnferred me to another dept. That CSR told me that they have extended the warranty for this issue(3 years+) and said an on-site tech will call me and replace the capacitors on the PCB free of charge.

Today(1 Hour ago) the on-site tech replaced the capacitors and everything is running good as new!!
I knew there was a reason I chose Samsung!!

I also own a UN55C9000 240hz 3D LED TV with a HT-C6930W 3D Blu-ray 7.1 HTIB with no problems. I asked the tech if my newer Samsung products were going to suffer a similar fate...he said the new stuff doesn't use cheap Chinese capacitors like the LN series....but then he asked if I had a warranty and I said; yes a 3 year warranty. He then told me to extend that warranty if I could.....hmmmmmm?

The new capacitors were made by Samsung in Korea.

Oh yeah!! I forgot to say thanks to everyone in this forum. If it wasn't for all of the posts Samsung probably wouldn't have agreed to repair the TV for free.
Thank you.

ramesses
Gerbil In Training

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Brilliant!!!!

My 2 1/2 year old LNS4041D started the clicking on and off then coming on after 5 minutes. This progressed to just clicking with the red light flashing for more than 20 minutes, sometimes coming on, sometimes not at all.

I read the info here, went out bought 4 1000uf 35V 85c capacitors, tore apart my TV and replaced the caps in about 15 minutes. Pressed the power button and on came my old friend!!! All this for the cost of a soldering iron ($12) and 4 capacitors ($2 x 4 = $8), grand total of $20...not bad I must say.

I had a bit of trouble fitting the caps in as they were a bit bigger than the originals but all seems to be working well even with on of the caps raised up of the board a bit.

Thanks to everyone who has added info onto this topic as it saved me a good amount of money. I never would have had the guts to jump in like I did without the experiences here.

jparcham
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:44 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm the above story. I have a Samsung LN40A550P3F. Bought in July 2008. Started having problems turning on a few months ago. Still turns on but taking longer and longer. Called Samsung today (Easter Sunday) 1 800 726 7864. Explained the problems and CR said they are extending the repair warranty for this capacitor problem on TVs bought in the last 3 years. You have to fax in a receipt and they will contact you in 24-48hrs for a repair visit.

Thanks for all the great posts, If it wasn't for them I'm sure I'd be watching the youtube fix video.

Siamatico
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks everyone on this forum! I changed out my 2200uF capacitor on my Samsung 32" LCD model LN32A330 and it fixed the problem. I bought my TV in Oct. 2008 and it just didn't turn on last week. I called Samsung and they gave me the run around.

I live in Southern California and I didn't find my replacement capacitor at Radio Shack. The only place that sold mine was Fry's Electronics and a couple of specialty stores. I wasn't worried because if no one had it, I could always buy online. I bought 2 capacitors (in case I messed up somehow) and the total was $3!

I researched forums and watched youtube videos on how to replace a capacitor. Luckily I have a soldering iron at work (thought I have never used it before). I am a young female with no experience with circuit boards or soldering. But I did it by myself - and it worked. I saved hundreds of dollars. So thank you everyone for the pictures and posts here. I couldn't have done it without you!

ranchhand
Gerbil

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 am

Congrats on your accomplishment, and in so doing you learned a ton. Interesting that sometimes Sammy takes care of the complaint immediately, other times they won't. Doesn't give me a feeling of security with Sammy products.

coagdoc
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung 52" LCD vertical lines/bar

Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 pm

I have a Samsung 32" TV LNS324IDX/XXA that turns on without problem and stays on for about 10-40 minutes then the picture fades to black and starts to alternate various lines of color red, green vertically keeping the sound on.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Merged into main Samsung thread.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

samhariharan
Gerbil In Training

Wed May 11, 2011 5:46 am

I am so glad to see all the wonderful assistance from the fantastic folks on this forum. Maybe someone here has advice that can help me.

I have a Samsung LN-T4065F LCD TV I bought in September 2007 (Made in August 2007). I don't watch a lot of TV so it has not been used much. But in April 2011, when I switched from a Blu-Ray DVD player to my cable box, the first time this happened: the image on the screen started flashing like a strobe light. I put it off and started it again but it continued to flash/blink like a strobe. You can hear the sound, you can see the image except it is flashing on and off. And it does this for all sources - so it is not the cable box alone that is the problem. When you put it off and start it again after some time, maybe a few hours, it seems to disappear.

The image also seems to be pixillating on some channels and sometimes other artifacts show up on the screen. And the picture does seem to have become blurrier (or am I imagining this?)

So far I don't seem to have the clicking sound yet but it does seem to take a little longer for the TV to start up and change from channel to channel.

Have others here had this problem? Is this the Samsung capacitor problem again? Or is it something to do with the Inverter board? But since it seems to lose the problem on shut down and start-up, I wonder if it's the capacitor discharging that is solving the problem.

I am planning to call Samsung soon but thought it might be better to get your advice here first to see if this is covered by the Samsung one-time warranty.

I thought I would wait to open up the set after hearing from you folks and then calling Samsung to see if it is covered.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sam
Last edited by samhariharan on Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed May 11, 2011 8:59 am

In all honesty I would say that any Samsung made before mid 2010 all have the capacitor issue. Just unscrew the back an look at the capacitor, if its bulging theres your problem.

Since I have fixed min almost two years ago its been running like a champ.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

samhariharan
Gerbil In Training

Wed May 11, 2011 1:27 pm

tanker27:

Thanks for your reply.

So you think this is probably the caps again?
I didn't see too many report the screen blinking/flashing like a strobe. So I was not certain. But I suspect since the effect goes after unplugging it might be the caps....

Sam

tanker27 wrote:
In all honesty I would say that any Samsung made before mid 2010 all have the capacitor issue. Just unscrew the back an look at the capacitor, if its bulging theres your problem.

Since I have fixed min almost two years ago its been running like a champ.

p-dog
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 12, 2011 6:52 pm

coagdoc wrote:
I have a Samsung 32" TV LNS324IDX/XXA that turns on without problem and stays on for about 10-40 minutes then the picture fades to black and starts to alternate various lines of color red, green vertically keeping the sound on.

Hey coagdoc. Read my posts (they start on page 26 of this topic with 1 being on page 27). The problem I had with my TV although not the exact same as yours does sound like it could be related. My fix was wiggling and re-seating a cable going to one of the boards in the TV. Anyhow, all the detail is in my posts. Good luck whatever you do with the TV.

newguykai
Gerbil In Training

Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi All,
Just had this very same problem with an ACER 2016w computer monitor. The 1000uf 10v capacitor was convexed. Fun lil project fixing my monitor with a 1000uf 25v that was on an old board I found around the house. 5 year old monitor works great now, I am pleased to say.I've never done this kind of thing before but it took me an hour or so and spent nothing.Thanks for the info guys! oh and about the screen flashing in a previous post, my screen did that for a moment after reconecting everything. The ribbon thing with the picture info going to the monitor was touchy. Mebbe a bad connection after the rebuild? wiggling some stuff made mine stop blinking. Good Luck. :D

Thankful
Gerbil In Training

Sun May 22, 2011 2:28 pm

I followed Zazik's post on March 2, 2009 and everything worked out fine. I'm watching my TV that I purchased in 2006. Things that I learned is that the polarity is marked on the backside of the circuit board with a "+" and that the capacitors are marked with a "-". The minus sign is a dash that is in the different color band on the capacitor. I purchases a soldering iron and de-soldering tool along with four 1000uf capacitors at Radio Shack today for $31.25 out the door. The re-soldering iron helped me safely remove the solder without dropping any on the circuit board. A magnetic tip screw driver is helpful for removing and replacing he screws. Thank you all for your input and success to others to come!

Jaro Rom
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4061 power on problem

Fri May 27, 2011 11:31 am

:D :D I as well have fixed my samsung 40 in LNS4041DX the 4 capacitors required replacement / No assistance from Samsung Canada (they said not fixing this model )
also had extended warranty from Best Buy which was up in Feb this year 2011 and they said Sorry -nothing we can do to help.
I would like to thank all who have posted intruction and tips Total cost to fix under 2$ Cad - fortunate to have electronic surplus store in neighborhood- 4 caps at 0.39 $ each purchased the last 8 they had in stock . Sales man said they have had a run recently and cant keep in stock. had to replace 4 bulging caps -CM811,CM812, CS806,CM817
total time 90 mins - not bad for first timer - TV works better than ever

Thank You all once again for taking the mystery out of the electronic world for me and providing the courage to proceed with this successful operation

Jaro

eliza
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 pm

p-dog wrote:
eliza wrote:
UPDATE: After 3 weeks of smacking the TV it doesn't work anymore and there's no picture when we turn it on. We're thinking of replacing either the mother board or the circuit/power supply board? Which one should we replace? Anyone? :/

eliza,

Sounds like you are really having some woes with your TV. Now I can't promise anything but here is the phone # I called (the one with the very helpful service tech, read my posts on page 26) 321-953-5294. I spoke to John. Now this all started from a Samsung service request # for me so they already had some info on my situation. Again I can't promise you will get the same level of free advice I got but it is worth a shot to steer you in the right direction instead of piecemeal replacing part after part. If you get a chance to speak to them be very specific as to what your problem is and they may be able to help.

Good luck.

Thanks p-dog. I actually took the TV today to have it serviced. I'll find out tomorrow if it's fixable and if it is, whether it's worth doing so. I guess replacing the capacitors only works when your tv is making the clicking sound. Mine wasn't, the picture would simply stop coming on and the volume was ok. Anyhow, I'll keep yas posted.

DazzaBee
Gerbil In Training

Tue May 31, 2011 8:28 am

My thanks go to Zazik.
I just used the photo walk through for this repair below.
4 capacitors, 1 soldering iron and some solder coupled with 30 mins time and the TV works again good as new. I got the capacitors from Maplin and they cost me a total of £1.74. Not bad considering trhe TV cost £800 when I brought it. Result!

supra85
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:57 pm

I just fixed mine. I have the LSN4041D with the same won't power on click click problem. I called 1800SAMSUNG and they didn't care a crap about it. I looked at the power board the second time and yup there was 4 bad capacitor 1000uf 10v. I went to Radio Shack and grabbed 4 1000uf 35V (was not sure if 35V would work). Also grabbed the soldering iron. Took me 20 minutes and VOILA....... works like new again. Radio Shack 1000uf 35V $1.79 each. :D

phxdajoh
Gerbil In Training

Samsung TV issues

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Well, I don't really see anywhere to ask a TV question per-say so I figure this would be the best spot.

My Samgsung LN52A650A1H is really faded on the right hand side of the screen. Seems to hold the last picture or channel and fades it out from center to right, almost like a trail of the old picture. The Left side of the screen is perfectly fine. When the TV first started giving me problems there were thin white lines through the right half of the screen but replacing the LVD cables seem to have fixed that issue. I have also replaced the input board in hopes of fixing it too. Other forums I have read say it could possibly be the TCON board at the top but I wanted to get a few more opinions before I dropped the 80 bucks on a new TCON board. Thanks!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung TV issues

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Moved to the omnibus Samsung thread.

phxdajoh
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Here is a video of the problem due to no responses yet. it happens on some screens but not others. Lemme know!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unih-Pusc-k

wppurmor
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:10 pm

I just joined the Club, as owner of an LN46A750 with identical symptoms. Will go back and read the prior 26 pages (hello...Samsung Quality Dep't? Anyone there???.....) I, too, am more of the "Remove & Replace" type. Did I read "3 year warranty" on this problem? Problem showed up Friday, July 1, 2011. We bought TV June, 2008. All together, now: "DOHHHH!!!!"

Paul

alpar80
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LNR328W No Picture

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:26 pm

I have this LCD that has no picture other than 2 fine red lines running vertical down the screen. There is no sound and when I try to scroll on the menu nothing appears. I see the power button blinking several times until it pulses a steady red. I thought it may be the "T CONN" board because of what was happening when I first acquired the tv which was a snowy picture with pixilated menu options, now there is no snow however, just the two red lines. Does anyone have any suggestions....? T CONN board, capacitors? Please help!

alpar80
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LNR328w No Picture or Sound or Menu

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:29 am

I have this LCD that has no picture other than 2 fine red lines running vertical down the screen. There is no sound and when I try to scroll on the menu nothing appears. I see the power button blinking several times until it pulses a steady red. I thought it may be the "T CONN" board because of what was happening when I first acquired the tv which was a snowy picture with pixilated menu options, now there is no snow however, just the two red lines. Does anyone have any suggestions....? T CONN board, capacitors? Please help!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung LNR328w No Picture or Sound or Menu

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:05 am

Merged into main Samsung thread.

Fixer
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LN40B530P7N power on problem

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:13 pm

The actions to solve the "turn-on" problem is also applicable to the LN40B530P7N. After much head scratching, downloading the SAMSUNG Service manual (which has several errors in it (example: reference desg do not match the parts breakdown or pictures) no schematics or board layouts, I found this link. Thankyou!!!!!!!. With the information of these pages, I fixed the TV for $8.00USD of parts and the $28.00USD for the service manual (a waste of money for the manual). I tried all the methods to get Samsung to help resolve the problem with the same "no help" results and denial of this being a known problem to Samsung.

I can only say THANK YOU to this forum and the managers of it. You can rest assured, you are helping to save everyone money and the adding of broke Tv's on the junk pile.

Garciajeff
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank you all. I had the same exact symptoms on my lnt4066. I followed exactly what billne said and everything is working like my tv is new. My tv is 8 years old. The issue only happened 4 weeks ago. I am so happy that i was able to fix the problem on my own! Well, of course will everybody's help in this forum. The repair dudes quoted me $600. I got the capacitors from radio shack for less than 10 bucks. Thanks again! I am still doing the dance of joy :)

spagzone
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Anyone have problems with controls on side of TV after replacing power board.
Replaced mine twice, after 2nd time the tv controls no longer functioned, along with the remote.
Sound is slightly low, and cant volume up or down. As is power on off button.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS...The 2 times I replaced board, I only swapped 2 capacitors to the next higher voltage.
I'm thinking of swiping all 5 to see if that solves control problems.

Thanks again

Ross