Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

lamp
Gerbil
Topic Author

Just received an P8Z68-v Pro motherboard... packaging?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Everyone,

I just bought and received a P8Z68-v Pro motherboard from an e-tailer and am wondering if any other owners of the boards have experienced the same packaging.

In particular, the box was not sealed (either in plastic or with tape). Strangely, the pouch in which the motherboard was stored (inside the box) also wasn't sealed in any way. So... I'm wondering if this is the typical way ASUS ships their board OR if I got an open box (but paid for the price of a new board).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hallucin8
Gerbil

Re: Just received an P8Z68-v Pro motherboard... packaging?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:01 am

Sounds fishy. Every board from every MFG i've ever got has been in the anti static bag sealed. I'd be asking questions. Care to name the e-tailer?

lamp
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:14 am

Hallucin8 wrote:
Sounds fishy. Every board from every MFG i've ever got has been in the anti static bag sealed. I'd be asking questions. Care to name the e-tailer?

That's what I thought.... when I saw the box wasn't sealed I thought "OK - the anti-static bag must be sealed" but then it wasn't either.

The e-tailer I got the board from is newegg.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:29 am

I bought the same board from NewEgg as well. The motherboard box was not sealed. Not certain about the anti-static bag, but I think it too was not sealed or taped. Raised no alarms with me. Came with everything is was supposed to. No fingerprints or other anything to suggest it was used. The board is up and running A-OK.
x--x--x--x

lamp
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:55 am

Spyder22446688 wrote:
I bought the same board from NewEgg as well. The motherboard box was not sealed. Not certain about the anti-static bag, but I think it too was not sealed or taped. Raised no alarms with me. Came with everything is was supposed to. No fingerprints or other anything to suggest it was used. The board is up and running A-OK.

Thanks for that - it's somewhat reassuring. The reason why a red flag went up is because whenever I've bought a motherboard, either the box OR the anti-static bag OR both were sealed in some fashion. So, when I saw that none of those were sealed I thought something might be up.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 pm

lamp wrote:
Thanks for that - it's somewhat reassuring. The reason why a red flag went up is because whenever I've bought a motherboard, either the box OR the anti-static bag OR both were sealed in some fashion. So, when I saw that none of those were sealed I thought something might be up.

I am super, super anal about stuff that I buy. If I had even the slightest concern that my motherboard was an open-box product, I would have returned it. In this instance, I was never worried. In my experience, I have never had a motherboard box come sealed. As for the anti-static bag, I really can't remember if it was sealed or not, but it certainly was "crisp" (no bends or wrinkles to suggest it had been used and then re-stuffed). Unless you had any secondary-indicators, I wouldn't worry.
x--x--x--x

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Spyder22446688 wrote:

My ASUS board from Newegg came the same way except it was in plastic inside the box...no plastic bag and not sealed. It had everything in it and was fine...it was the first [and only] motherboard I've purchased so I didn't have anything to compare it to.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

lamp
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Neutronbeam wrote:
it was in plastic inside the box

Thanks Neutronbeam - by "plastic inside the box" are you referring to the "crunchy" anti-static bag?

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Shrink-wrapping is often applied only at the retailer or is specified by the retailer when they purchase from the manufacturer. For items that are never on a retail shelf, there's no need for shrink-wrap, and in the case of static-sensitive parts, it's far better that they're never near a shrink-wrap machine.

Even cellophane tape can generate static potential in excess of 5kV.

Yes, I used to have to worry about this stuff.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

lamp
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:10 pm

sluggo wrote:
in the case of static-sensitive parts, it's far better that they're never near a shrink-wrap machine.

In the past, I've received motherboards with a tape sealing the anti-static bag never shrink-wrapped - but man... I can imagine the risk in bringing the MB even close to one of those machines.

sluggo wrote:
Even cellophane tape can generate static potential in excess of 5kV.

Good point.

sluggo wrote:
Yes, I used to have to worry about this stuff.

Sorry.

Coulda
Gerbil

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:59 pm

2 year ago, bought a tv tuner card at ncix, card came with huge finger print and missing CD disk. Obvious repack. Returned it (not because it's repack).
A year ago, bought a different card at newegg. Card came with grease finger prints, and obviously re-taped box and packaging. Kept it.
I don't care if it's repack as long as it works properly and it wasn't previously defective (then, it should be sold as refurbished with discount).
I think those finger prints comes from people who tests and repacks with min wage.

PPl return products for various reasons, I guess. Often for their lack of knowledge and patience. But grease finger prints...yuck.