Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Building a budget PC

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:23 am

Firestarter wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
I found a system equipped with a 3.4GHz AMD quad and a Samsung F3 to be more than sufficiently snappy. Faster is nice for sure and some games really benefit from SSDs though, so I agree that it's something to look forward too. Wouldn't use that in place of a real GPU though.

If you think any HDD based system is sufficiently snappy, you obviously haven't basked in the glory of 0.1ms access times yet. The Core 2 Quad system with HDD running Vista that I use at work is hilariously slow compared to my girlfriend's Sandy Bridge based system with SSD and Windows 7. Surely Vista is slower than 7, but not by that much :lol:

I have SSD's in all three of my machines, so I'm speaking from experience here. The F3 isn't SSD fast of course, but it's still faster and quieter than I had expected- it put my 1TB FALS Black to shame on both accounts. With Windows 7's optimizations, pretty much everything ran very quickly.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:54 pm

It shipped out today so I should get it by Monday easily.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 am

Alright, shes been put together, bit of a rocky start though, booted up without keyboard or mouse connected and it came up in POST saying that Sata drive is running in IDE mode and if I wanted to switch to AHCI mode or something, I couldn't do anything so it auto went no.

Installed Windows 7, all good no problem.

Restarted during driver install.

Same question at POST, this time keyboard and mouse connected so i go yes.

Windows 7 blue screens on start up, running startup repairer thing now.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:56 pm

It will give you hell if you install in IDE mode then switch to AHCI- you're missing the appropriate Intel storage driver.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:24 am

Certainly did, had to reinstall Windows, oh well you live and learn, won't be doing that again LOL.

Its all set up and running, I've installed Windows, got the latest drivers, installed microsoft security essentials and ran windows update, installed the new version of Firefox.

Its ready for delivery, I'm quite happy with that system.

He wants ADSL now, time to move up from Dialup he reckons haha.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:43 am

Update:

He's really happy with the entire system, he moved up to Telstra 100mbps cable from dialup, BIG BIG increase in speed :o