AMD FOR LIFE!
6 (14%)

Total votes: 43

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

[POLL] Tick or Tock?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:12 am

I can't afford to upgrade my PC every year, but after upgrading I still keep informed for my future purchases.
It is easy to get excited about the new performance and features that new architectures have to offer (Tock).
However, if I have no immediate need for an upgrade I feel it may be wiser to wait for the die shrink (Tick).

Doing this feels less risky as the architecture has had time to mature and lower power requirements is a plus.
There are other benefits such as more third parties making use of the newer technology after about a year.
It's proven technology, so I already know if I'll be impressed when it first launches, better than speculation.

Unfortunately I often feel envious after, such as last time buying an i7-875K months before the release of SB.
I mean I'm definitely glad I didn't have to deal with the chipset issues or feeling shortchanged with the P67.
I dunno though, what do you guys think? Is it a better time to upgrade your CPU+Mobo on a Tick or a Tock?
Last edited by DeadOfKnight on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

swampfox
Gerbil First Class

Re: Tick or Tock?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:18 am

Wow - first to vote! My last two computers were a tock (e6400) and a tick (e7300). Not sure if it matters terribly, but I'm always impressed with the ticks: a refined architecture, power and speed improvements...
C2D E7300 | ASUS P5Q Pro | 4GB OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2-800 | ASUS Radeon HD 4850 TOP | 500W OCZ ModXStream | WD10EADS | WD6400AAKS | Win7 64bit | Antec P182

wobbles-grogan
Gerbil

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 am

Personally, i'd upgrade on a Tock.

While I got stung with the chipset issue the last time, these bugs are rare enough that i dont really mind.

The performance increases on the Tock cycle are normally large enough that it wouldnt make sense not to upgrade!

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:24 am

Depends. Are you more interested in getting the best performance right away, or in lower power consumption and less chance of exciting bugs?

My last two (C2D E6300 and i5-2500K) have been a few months after a new architecture.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:20 am

Personally, I have my sights on Haswell as the next desktop CPU upgrade and Ivy Bridge for the next laptop.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:27 am

I'm going with the "It doesn't matter" option. You're looking at 6-months between each phase (on average). So you're always just a few months away from the next better thing. Their ticks and tocks have also been inconsistent as to which gets the high-end processor, and which gets the mainstreams.

So my rule has always been use my current CPU until it's no longer performance worthy. Then, if <2 months from the next gen CPU, wait and buy early, otherwise buy whatever is the current gen now.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 pm

emorgoch wrote:
I'm going with the "It doesn't matter" option. You're looking at 6-months between each phase (on average). So you're always just a few months away from the next better thing. Their ticks and tocks have also been inconsistent as to which gets the high-end processor, and which gets the mainstreams.

So my rule has always been use my current CPU until it's no longer performance worthy. Then, if <2 months from the next gen CPU, wait and buy early, otherwise buy whatever is the current gen now.

6 Months? IB is due a year after SB, and Haswell is due out a year after that.
I'm not talking about Sandy Bridge vs waiting for Sandy Bridge Extreme chips.
After the Lynnfield/Gulftown split Intel has changed their strategy.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Re: [POLL] Tick or Tock?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Right now is a good time to upgrade, sandy bridge is mature and the prices are good. I've always had a soft spot for AMD, but frankly intel has had a superior product since core2. It's just not worth the effort trying to save a few bucks going with AMD platform when you can get a smoking fast intel rig for a similar price. I think TR system guides have reflected this situation for some time now.

Its not necessarily bad to jump onto the bleeding edge new stuff, but I find it's good to wait at least a couple of months for either a price dip or to avoid any bugs.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Neither, for me.

For home desktop and server builds, I get whatever's got a decent price/performance in the AMD low- to mid-range when the need for a new system arises. Typically this means an AMD CPU in the $75-$150 price range, on an Asus mATX mobo.

When I do desktop/laptop systems at work (assuming we're not just getting whatever our corporate IT dept. is dishing out this month), it is either: A) whatever we can get from HP that fits the stated budget; or B) whatever we can buy locally *today* (preferably still HP), if it is an emergency. This results in a pretty random mix of Intel and AMD, of random generations.

Servers and high-end workstations at work are whatever Xeon system HP is pushing these days (for Windows), or whatever Opteron AMD is pushing these days (for Linux servers).

Corporate surprised me a little bit on the last few workstations, shipping us HP Xeons with 12 GB of RAM -- whoa, how times have changed! Probably blew our IT budget for the year, but that's not my problem. Or at least, only indirectly my problem... :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
Neither, for me.

For home desktop and server builds, I get whatever's got a decent price/performance in the AMD low- to mid-range when the need for a new system arises. Typically this means an AMD CPU in the $75-$150 price range, on an Asus mATX mobo.

AMD always seem to be one step behind Intel with thermals and performance. What is it about them you prefer for your home systems? I can count one biggie and that is their continued support of ECC memory in their consumer grade CPUs. If I ever upgrade this 'good enough' Intel box, I will probably choose AMD for that reason.
FDISK /MBR

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:54 am

What was the Q6600?

This will have to last me until I die, so I'll choose whatever it was :-P
GO CARDINALS!

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:33 am

Rakhmaninov3 wrote:
What was the Q6600?

This will have to last me until I die, so I'll choose whatever it was :-P

That was a 'tock', new architecture (Core 2 Duo/Quad) and known process (65nm, P4 and Core Duo).

I voted for "Doesn't matter", even though my purchases and recommendations have mostly been 'tocks'. I just depends on when you want/need to buy. I have to admit that the new architecture always piques my interest though, which can trigger the upgrade-itch if it has been a while.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:54 am

Dirge wrote:
AMD always seem to be one step behind Intel with thermals and performance. What is it about them you prefer for your home systems? I can count one biggie and that is their continued support of ECC memory in their consumer grade CPUs. If I ever upgrade this 'good enough' Intel box, I will probably choose AMD for that reason.

Value, really. While some people are always upgrading from yesterday's hotness to today's hotness, other people are always upgrading from yesterday's value to today's value, and AMD was very competitive in the $200 and under realm until recently when their competitive domain seems to have shrunk to the $125 and under realm. And the AMD platform has been pretty excellent as well, my perpetual complaints about SATA performance not withstanding. AMD's never castrates it's CPUs the way Intel does either - you don't usually have to check the features list with an AMD CPU - all the features (ECC support, virtualization support, blah, blah...) are all there.

As for the poll, it's hard to say - new architectures are certainly exciting, but the refresh is pretty exciting in its own right as that is when the new architecture is what I will call fully mature, and so is the platform and motherboard selection. Since my upgrades usually happen in the three-year range, I'll get my money's worth out of it regardless, so I vote "tick".

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:10 am

The die shrink allows the chips to use less power and run faster. It also allows more of them to be produced per wafer, reducing manufacturing costs. Those three things make it possible for Intel to offer the consumer a much better value... if AMD is putting competitive pressure on them. If AMD isn't around, we're back to the days of Intel charging $1000+ for CPUs.

However, the best time to buy is whenever you need a new processor.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:43 am

Dirge wrote:

Yeah, ECC support is one of the reasons. I don't do anything that requires bleeding edge performance, so the fact that AMD doesn't have anything that matches Intel's top performing CPUs isn't an issue for me. I also like to support the underdog; if AMD pulls out of the CPU market prices will be higher across the board.

(And just a FYI: The Fusion CPUs apparently do *not* support ECC...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:04 am

I just buy whatever's out when I need to buy. Tick vs Tock seems largely academic to me, since apart from gaming (which seems more GPU dependent) I don't do intensive task on my PC.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:31 pm

I guess you could look at it over the longer term and say 'today's tick is yesterdays tock'. There always seems to be something better on the horizon.
FDISK /MBR