Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

luisnhamue
Gerbil
Topic Author

building a new PC

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:18 am

hi everybody, im new in here. im planning to build a new machine, a Core i5 2500K based PC.
so here's the config i want to put in the mix:
- MSI P67A-GD55 (B3)
- 2*4GB DDR3 kingston KVR RAM
- Seagate barracuda 1TB Sata6 32MB
- any reliable DVDRW drive
- CoolerMaster Elite 430 black Chassis
- CoolerMaster v6 GT cooler
- Samsung 24in. LED Full HD Monitor (HDMI, DVI, VGA)
- Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB

can i trust this motherboard for OCing, because I saw some reviews, the board could reach 4,7GHz+
but with higher voltages, or the CPU multipliers is blocked?
There's a new BIOS on the MSI website, i wanna know if it corrected all the probs it had on launch.

Regards! :D
Core i5-2500K|MSI P67A-GD55|8GB DDR3-1333|Sapphire R6950 2GB|1TB WD SATA3|CoolerMaster V6 GT|Logitech Z103|Logitech K200|SAMSUNG SyncMaster SA350|Xigmatek NRP-PC502|

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: building a new PC

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 am

luisnhamue wrote:
hi everybody, im new in here. im planning to build a new machine, a Core i5 2500K based PC.
so here's the config i want to put in the mix:
- MSI P67A-GD55 (B3)
- 2*4GB DDR3 kingston KVR RAM
- Seagate barracuda 1TB Sata6 32MB
- any reliable DVDRW drive
- CoolerMaster Elite 430 black Chassis
- CoolerMaster v6 GT cooler
- Samsung 24in. LED Full HD Monitor (HDMI, DVI, VGA)
- Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB

@Motherboard: I would never recommend MSI as a brand although the heatsinks of the mobo you mentioned for the VRM seem OK, i'd still suggest getting a Gigabyte or Asus.

@RAM-never again NEVER AGAIN choose RAM just by specs. The correct way is to look in the Qualified Vendoers List of the motherboard which lists all the RAM modules which have been tested with that particular motherboard (use the codes of the RAM listed there to buy your RAM). Although i admit other modules could work, you would just risk incompatibility...it happened to me....Some manufacturers came up with solutions like Asus's MemOK but i still stand by my advice, look in the mobo manual which you can download from the manufacturer's website before buying the product.

@Case-it's a bad case because it doesn't offer Wire Management, it doesn't have anti-vibration for the 3,5" HDDs (a big deal if you get a noisy one), i don't see dust filters, only 190mm width which might prevent you from using extra tall heatsinks (on the website it says it should have 163 mm clearance but somehow i doubt it, more like 155mm). A great case makes a huge difference so choose wisely, or you'll find yourself changing the case after a few months of use (like me :( ). I'd suggest something like HAF 912, CM 690 II Basic (cheaper than the Advanced).

@Cooler - for Intel, coolers from Thermalright (Archon, Silver Arrow), Prolimatech (Armagedon, Megahelms, Super Mega), Noctua (NH-U12P SE2, NH-D14) would be much better, but remember the cooler must fit in the case with side panel closed so always double check the CPU clearance before buying any case.

@Video card- never buy a high end video card with stock cooling unless reviews say they are incredibly quiet, which afaik, is not the case for the 6950. So look for models that have better coolers, from Asus and others (but avoid MSI-their Twin Frozr is extra good for the GPU but they forget other parts of the video card and i heard alot of horror stories)

All this things i told you were from personal experience, i had lots of issues with my first build (i am now fixing them and learning from my mistakes). BUY SOMETHING NICE OR PAY IT TWICE.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:42 am

i'd still suggest getting a Gigabyte or Asus.

+1....and don't forget a decent power supply like a Corsair HX model :)

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.ph ... eah6950_1g

This is the best affordable GPU on the market IMO, especially if you're in a warmer climate as this cooler will knock off 10-15c.
The 2 gig will be wasted with a 6950 in most cases, better off going for a name brand GPU with proper cooling.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:50 am

CaptTomato wrote:
i'd still suggest getting a Gigabyte or Asus.

+1....and don't forget a decent power supply like a Corsair HX model :)

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.ph ... eah6950_1g

This is the best affordable GPU on the market IMO, especially if you're in a warmer climate as this cooler will knock off 10-15c.
The 2 gig will be wasted with a 6950 in most cases, better off going for a name brand GPU with proper cooling.

I agree, he should in fact sacrifice a few fps (actually at 1080p both versions are the same) to get a silent(or near silent) cooler. The 6950 1Gb is just as good as the 2Gb version, unless you intend to game at resolutions higher than 1920x1080 which would still not be recommended even on the 6950 2 Gb...

As for the PSU, i totally forgot, i strongly suggest Seasonic as a brand, as for the model - 620W M12II-620 Bronze with modular design (helps alot for wire mangement).
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:03 am

Arclight wrote:
[to get a silent(or near silent) cooler.

Is this possible these days?....my own view is that fan noise is tolerable when gaming as the game's sound will suppress fan noise, and I think these cards run way too hot for silent cooling under load.
I'm not going to try and talk people out of seasonic{as they're good and PSU is important}, so I'll just add that the Corsair HX series is well regarded.....and I moved from constant Antec failures, so from now on, I only buy highly rated PSU.

luisnhamue
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:07 pm

:D . My prob is availabity, because im living in malaysia, city of ipoh, and the only reliable pc store here is the pcdepot. For motherboards they have a p67a-gd65, asus p8p67 (also the simple) too. Asus has a nice uefi, but the second pcie slot is limited for cf or sli, and i wont be using more than 3 sata ports, not even an esata. As for the gd65 it has some extras that i just dont need, like voltage reading points, 2more internal sata, esatas. What o really wanted to know is of the gd55 overclocks well with the lates bios. And the cooler, this is the best i could get for to endure high temperatures, they have another coolermaster, that are left far. About the case, i will take note about it and add on my specs. Thank u for the replies.
Core i5-2500K|MSI P67A-GD55|8GB DDR3-1333|Sapphire R6950 2GB|1TB WD SATA3|CoolerMaster V6 GT|Logitech Z103|Logitech K200|SAMSUNG SyncMaster SA350|Xigmatek NRP-PC502|