Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

The future of graphics technology?

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

So my level of knowledge on this sort of subject matter isn't all that good, especially compared to some of the people we have here at TR. I was wondering what fellow gerbils thought about this presentation. Does the company have something substantial, or is it another technology like ray-tracing that is years into the future?

To me it looks like one of those things that are too good to be true, but I don't know nearly enough to have a valid opinion.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: The future of graphics technology?

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:28 pm

They really did progress since their last video, the huge island and the scanned rocks are new. Looks much better, too.
Could use more colour saturation though.

computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:15 pm

When they show some animations i'll be impressed. Animating particle clouds is a different story than showing static particle clouds with a moving camera.

It's impressive, granted, but you'll notice those grass blades, leaves, dirt particles, etc.... are not moving. Wind movement, water movement, physics, etc. "Ground in polygon game" the grass moves, at least.

I think crappy looking grass that can blow in the wind looks more "real" than permanently erect grass that is more refined.

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Animation definitely looks to be the trickiest part to pull off, or so it would seem from how their algorithm works. It would also require very good memory management. Procedural generation should help a ton in that regard, so long as only the most minor details are generated procedurally; can't have larger details being inconsistent throughout games especially when going over a network.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:16 pm

I have to wonder whether this will be one of those technologies like ray tracing, which are great in theory but ultimately impractical for implementing a playable game on reasonable hardware.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

skialex25
Gerbil

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Might this be an opportunity for developers to start using those multiple cores all of us have stashed away in our rigs?

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 am

Some games are pretty good at using them, Dice-games for one. And Civ for another. But yeah, theres often lots of extra power tucked away under the hood in the CPU's.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:36 am

I can't imagine you'd ever be able to animate this without monstrous gobs of memory. All this allows you to do is efficiently display numerous identical models. As soon as you crank up the variation, or hell, animate it, (you know, to have unlimited detail) your memory requirements will shoot through the roof.

This seems like another cash-grab to me.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:49 am

TheWacoKid wrote:
I can't imagine you'd ever be able to animate this without monstrous gobs of memory. All this allows you to do is efficiently display numerous identical models. As soon as you crank up the variation, or hell, animate it, (you know, to have unlimited detail) your memory requirements will shoot through the roof.

You could get around the memory issue by generating the models procedurally. But then you've essentially traded memory usage for CPU cycles, which may result in a CPU bottleneck instead.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 am

just brew it! wrote:
You could get around the memory issue by generating the models procedurally. But then you've essentially traded memory usage for CPU cycles, which may result in a CPU bottleneck instead.

Exactly. In something that's software rendered I doubt any modern CPU can keep a reasonable framerate when procedurally generating an entire scene in motion.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:03 am

just brew it! wrote:
TheWacoKid wrote:

Don't we kind of have CPU power to spare these days though?
Network theory sucks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 am

Deathright wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Don't we kind of have CPU power to spare these days though?

Probably still not enough to do this sort of thing effectively in real-time, unless you want to set up a mini render farm and a 10 gigabit network to move all the data around.