I had Texas BBQ, and now I want to recreate it

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

I had Texas BBQ, and now I want to recreate it

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:22 am

I had real bbq for the first time last week when I stopped in Texas, and suffice it to say that I liked it enough that I'd like to try making my own bbq now. I'm good with a grill, but I know nothing about making bbq except that I'm going to need a smoker. I can flesh out the cooking process on my own, but I'd like some help choosing a good smoker. I know there are some serious bbq gerbils here, so any advice is much appreciated!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: I had Texas BBQ, and now I want to recreate it

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 am

I recommend a Big Green Egg. They are not traditional like the steel pits but they are more versatile and they make really damn good slow cooked meat of all kinds!

Rush
i7-4770K, Asus Z87-PRO, HD7950, 16GB DDR3-2400, 840 PRO, Silverstone FT02b, DoubleSight DS-265W 26" IPS

Go HOKIES!
rbattle
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:00 am

I want one of these next because they allow for smoking, gas grilling or with the optional charcoal tray...well...charcoal. This is a pricier option and I would want more details on it (as it seems to be missing a stack which is key for smoking.) But not a bad idea either.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:27 am

The BGE (Big Green Egg) is a great cooker.... but I wouldn't buy it. It's different than a smoker or grill. It is not something for a beginer. Mostly because you have to get used to the adjustments you have to make for recipes. For good Texas BBQ, you are usually talking about smoking.

First things first. What type of BBQ do you want to do? I started with baby back pork ribs. They are very forgiving and end up always tasting good. I started with an electric smoker because of where I was living required it. I even went through a big charcoal phase. The problem with charcoal is regulating heat. And if you live in an area with temperature swings, it gets really touchy. So, here is what I recommend:

Get a cheap gas smoker. I bought one off of Craigslist for $75 and I still use it. Brand really doesn't matter, just find out what sized things you want to cook. I made sure that I could fit ribs, turkey, pork shoulder, brisket, or a salmon. And if you smoke only these 5 things, you will love it. But you can smoke just about any piece of meat outside of hamburger (but there are people who smoke hamburger anyway).

The next step is buying a good book. I recommend anything by Steven Raichlen. He has great recipes that are pretty easy. His BBQU.net website is also a great resource. I recommend either the BBQ USA or BBQ Bible for learning how to do it right.

Next thing you need is a very good remote thermometer. You need one you can leave in meat to ensure that its done. As someone new to smoking, you want to make sure you don't give yourself (and guests!) food poisoning.

Next, experiment. Pork is probably the most forgiving meat to start with. Play around with the woods you use to smoke. I'm a bit different than most people... I try to avoid hickory and mesquite. They tend to overpower a lot of meats. Fruit woods (including pecan) give a great subtle flavor without feeling like you are eating an ashtray. But, the books mentioned will get into these issues.

If you have more questions, let me know, but this is what I recommend.

You can also smoke meats on a standard grill. You have to either buy a smoking pouch or build an aluminum foil boat. Then just put your grill at an angle and close the cover. You have to put your heat under the foil boat (filled with soaked wood chips), with no direct heat under your meat. You can then get a semblance of smoking. You can do the same with a classic Weber charcoal grill with some accessories. I did this for quite a while, but larger meats just won't work on it.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:02 am

I suggest to start out you get one of the cheap electric "bullet" smokers available at your nearest HD or Lowes. They usually cost less than $70 and have no controls to mess with. You plug it in and it runs at 225-275 degrees, which is too broad a range for "serious" folks, but will still make your friends and relatives suitibly impressed. I think TheEmrys' suggestions for accessories are good, but you can start with just the "bullet", some wood chips/chunks (probably on the shelf next to the smokers), and meat. I agree that baby back ribs are the best for starting out.

Then, before you know it you will be making your own rubs, blending wood chips to get just the right flavor, and ordering expensive items from strange stores http://www.sausagemaker.com/.

Or, you will decide it is more work than it's worth and go to a restaurant for bbq, with only $70 spent on a new object for your dog to pee on as he patrols the patio:)
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.
ericfulmer
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:09 am

FireGryphon wrote:I had real bbq for the first time last week when I stopped in Texas

LOLLERS theres people in the deep south who would fight you for making that comment. 8)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:23 am

There is also the do-it-yourself route.
[SDG]Mantis
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 am

tanker27 wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:I had real bbq for the first time last week when I stopped in Texas

LOLLERS theres people in the deep south who would fight you for making that comment. 8)

This is quite true. The regional differences between BBQ is amazing. Its why I love the BBQ USA book so much. Stuff from all over the country.
Sony a7
TheEmrys
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:36 am

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, get an "El Cheapo Brinkman". I made one and modded it using a few supplies and a small Weber grill. All in all, it probably cost me $70 and it is incredibly easy to use if you use the "Minion Method" to light your charcoal. The Minion Method will get me about 10 hours of steady 225 temps. It isn't very big, but I've cooked a butcher's cut brisket and a pork butt at the same time and they were awesome. We had it at a graduation party and people wouldn't leave me alone with all the compliments. I've also made chuck roast and ribs on it, but brisket is definitely my favorite. The grill is a little small for the brisket, so I put an empty pop can under the brisket to get it a little vertical.

If you have money, get a Green Egg, if you're lazy and rich, get a pellet fed Traeger or something along that line.

edit: Also, I'd start with a Pork Butt for your first BBQ, assuming you don't mind getting up early or staying up late. When I BBQ, I figure about 2 hours a pound at 225-250 degrees. If it gets done early, I put it in a warm cooler and wrap it in tin foil and towels. It will be good for a few hours at least in there. DON'T TAKE IT OFF UNTIL IT HITS 190-195 DEGREES! It's going to be tough otherwise. Also, don't worry if the meat seems to stop cooking around 160 degrees, that's called "The Plateau" and is the temp when the fat and crap starts melting in the meat, the most important part! It can take quite a while to melt this so you get stuck around this temperature for a while.

Get a wireless meat thermometer too!
Last edited by 5150 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:42 am

tanker27 wrote:

QFT!! If you want real BBQ, visit the Carolinas. :) There's Eastern Style, and Lexington Style. And it's all good!! :D

Enjoy...
http://www.ncbbqcompany.com/default.htm
Last edited by RickyTick on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 am

RickyTick wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

QFT!! If you want real BBQ, visit the Carolinas. :) There's Eastern Style, and Lexington Style. And it's all good!! :D

Pffft. My Montana style is the best, we don't talk weird either. LOL

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:47 am

5150 wrote:Pffft. My Montana style is the best, we don't talk weird either. LOL

Been about 20 years since I've been to Montana, but yep I remember good BBQ there too. :wink:
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:57 am

Personally, I like Carolina BBQ the most because its mostly Pork. Texas BBQ has too much of a Spanish/ Mexican influence in some places and is usually beef.

This will tell you the regional differences
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:21 pm

good luck. I love Texas BBQ but can't make it worth a damn.

edit: bbq can be either pork or beef. It should not, however, be vinegary. Yuck.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 pm

My smoked chicken, turkey, game hens, pheasant, duck, salmon, trout, and pike disagree with you.
Sony a7
TheEmrys
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Oh, it can be those too (though...bbq fish? weird). BBQ, to me, refers to preperation, not meat type. I just don't like the vinegary Eastern style.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Smoking should be done with un-burnt hardwood (mequite, cherry, maple or hickory). If you are smoking with lump charcoal or briquettes you are missing the point. Though they can be used for a smokey flavor.

Smoking is done with cut and dried wood because even then there are residual oils and sap still in the log, which will add a lot of flavor to the food. As it evaporates while burning and re-condenses in the chamber. Liquid smoke is made with this very method using a long chimney with a dome cap and collection ring. The wood burns the oils and sap evaporates then re-condenses on the cap and drips off onto the collection ring.

As for vinegary BBQ, well I use a mix of the two styles and the Texans who came to some of the BBQs liked it a lot. All depends every one has a different take. I like them all.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:18 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:Oh, it can be those too (though...bbq fish? weird). BBQ, to me, refers to preperation, not meat type. I just don't like the vinegary Eastern style.

BBQ is preperation? Well... sort of. There are three or four main ways of BBQ'ing:

Grilling over Direct Heat (typical hambers and hot dogs-type, includes some ways of preparing ribs, brats, etc.)
Grilling over Indirect Heat (more of a radiant heat)
Smoking (Heat provided by radian heat, but with smoke)
Then there is Rotissire which is its own sort of critter

If you aren't doing fish, you are missing out! Grilled Tuna steaks, Smoked Salmon, Cedar planked salmon, Grilled Trout w/ bacon... Even oysters and mussels are great for BBQ.

Now, if you mean BBQ is based upon a BBQ sauce... well, I'll respectfully disagree.
Sony a7
TheEmrys
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Yeah, I can't think of a more enjoyable way to prepare a nice piece of salmon than with a well-soaked cedar plank and the indirect heat of a grill. I also like planking half chickens too. I guess this is sort of in-between the radiant-heat and smoking grilling method as the flavor in the cedar is imparted to the salmon the same way as much of the wood flavor is when smoking (vaporization of wood oils, etc). Just with planking, there is much less smoke exposure.

You guys are making me envious. I'd love to try my hand at smoking something. However, living in a condo kind of makes that difficult. I do know someone with a Big Green Egg. How difficult is it to set one of these bad boys up to smoke a pork brisket or shoulder? Do you need to buy extra parts?
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm

5150 wrote:Get a wireless meat thermometer too!

QFT!!! I recently bought one of these, and it will make smoking a much better experience.

I started my BBQ adventures by smoking brisket (my fave) this year. Mine have (so far) all turned out fantastic. I've literally had friends and family pay me to smoke meat for them when I am smoking my own. http://www.smokerking.com has some great recipes for a mop and a rub for birsket. This site is all Texas style BBQ btw. I've been using hickory but I'd like to try some mesquite too. Just make sure to use a hardwood that's been cut for 6 months or so. Also, be mindful of the time commitment when smoking! Most meats take at least 1.25hrs/lb to cook. Brisket takes about 1.5hrs/lb.

I am using a Char-Broil smoker that was given to me. I think it came from Lowe's originally.

Good luck and have fun!
"I take sibling rivalry to the whole next level, if it doesn't require minor sugery or atleast a trip to the ER, you don't love her." - pete_roth
"Yeah, I see why you'd want a good gas whacker then." - VRock
dextrous
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:48 am

paulWTAMU wrote: It should not, however, be vinegary. Yuck.

Its shouldnt be sweet either! 8)

While some vinegar based sauces are overboard there are a lot of good ones out there.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:42 am

wow there is no right or wrong to BBQ flavors. Season meats how you like and what appeals to you. Add a BBQ sauce that compliments those flavors near the end or after.

BBQ really comes down to a slow cooked meat (with smoke if you can) that either has a rub or has been marinaded. Really experiment and try different things and go from there.

For the record my BBQ ribs that had been served at the TRBBQ the last 5 years are sweat and tangy and I refute anyone who tells me I am doing it wrong. To each their own.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am

Oh theres a wrong way alright:

www.sonnysbbq.com/
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 am

tanker27 wrote:Oh theres a wrong way alright:

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/

You're right. I've been to the Sonny's in Charlotte. It's was mediocre at best, and over-priced.
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 am

Where I live in Montana, the nearest "BBQ" place is 250 miles away and it is pretty pathetic. Good chicken, but the ribs and brisket are sub par and overpriced. All this talk (and my new FoodSaver) is making me think about smoking a few briskets this weekend. :)

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:08 am

5150 wrote: All this talk (and my new FoodSaver) is making me think about smoking a few briskets this weekend. :)

Does brisket do well in a food saver? I have one, but have never tried it out. I may have to cook up 3 of them Saturday if I can store them well.
Sony a7
TheEmrys
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:16 am

paulWTAMU wrote:bbq can be either pork or beef. It should not, however, be vinegary. Yuck.

As someone else from northwest Texas, I absolutely agree. Watery, vinegary sauce is not BBQ to me; BBQ sauce needs to be thick and sticky. Of course, Dyers has some of my favorite BBQ, and it's more chuck-wagon style food then true BBQ.

I just added another reason I need to make a trip back to Ama.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 am

I don't much like Dyer's BBQ (the chicken fried steak though is wonderful). Crazy Larry's is pretty good (bbq served on top of a frito pie is their speciality--good shredded bbq beef, and about 1/4 lb of frito pie underneath it), and so is the Smoke Barn. Man their shredded beef sammiches are wonderful.

WHat part of Texas are you from?
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 am

tanker27 wrote:Oh theres a wrong way alright:

According to you? And you are suddenly the almighty end all authority on BBQ? Bad cooking aside, you might not like it but it doesn't mean they were 'wrong'. Their method just doesn't work for you.

My point is everyone has different ways of cooking there is no wrong technique. I love Italian and I have experienced different methods and presentations of Italian cuisine. Usually why I don't like something is because of under or over cooking or flavors just didn't work for me. Everyone does things differently. Pizza changes as it moves across the country, hence why we have NY, Chicago and California styles of pizza, along with everything in between.

Just because Sonny's is less then desirable doesn't mean that the method used isn't done better by someone else.

Food changes the world around, cooks and chefs even experiment with new flavors use traditional recipes. There is no one right or wrong way to cook things, BBQ included. The biggest issue is does it taste good or not.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:05 pm

If you need sauces for your BBQ, you're doing it wrong.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9
no51
Gerbil Team Leader

Next

Return to The Back Porch