Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Questions for WP7 users

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 am

Wp7 users! Here are some questions for you, from a person who has not used WP7 except for a few minutes in a store:

1. How is the Exchange support? Is push email supported? Calendar? Contact search?
2. How is the Gmail support? Same questions as above.
3. Does it have wifi hotspot functionality?
4. Are apps available for task management with sync support to services such as Remember the Milk or Toodledo?
5. How is the support for VoIP? Does it support SIP over wifi and 3g?
6. Any video calling support?

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Re: Questions for WP7 users

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:50 am

I don't have technical answers, but my phone is provided by my company, and it uses WP7 on an HTC Arrive. I've been using it for about 6 months now. For your questions...

--Email is push and integrates well with Exchange Outlook--contacts, calendar, email, etc.
--Also integrates with Facebook, Windows Live, Xbox/Games for Windows, etc.
--Gmail support seems pretty good, although I haven't tried looking into my archive messages using the phone.
--I checked and don't believe it has hotspot functionality for my phone.
--There are task management apps but no idea about sync support...one Remember the Milk client is here http://julianapena.com/projects/winmilk/
--Don't know about VOIP or SIP.
--With no user-facing camera I'm just gonna guess that video calling ain't happenin' on my phone.

The huge Mango OS update will be later this fall, and you may want to wait to see what that brings before pulling the trigger. So far I'm pretty happy with the device. The OS is pretty impressive, but MSFT definitely put some aesthetic UI aspects a bit above functionality.

WP7 doesn't have close to the number of apps as iOS or Android, but realistically I only use a handful day to day, and I can't go crazy with connected apps as I have to watch my usage amounts.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 am

codedivine wrote:
Wp7 users! Here are some questions for you, from a person who has not used WP7 except for a few minutes in a store:

1. How is the Exchange support? Is push email supported? Calendar? Contact search?
already answered

IDK about the calendar, i think you can sync with your live one, and then sync to the phone as a back up. i don't use calendars, as i'm not organized

no. you CAN however enable it through the factory menu, and there are steps showing you how. so yes/no. it's not official, but it works.

4. Are apps available for task management with sync support to services such as Remember the Milk or Toodledo?
i have no idea what those are

voip is currently MIA. will be on the platform in the next couple of months. Mango brings socket support, and it's needed to do voip efficiently. MS bought skype, and it's expected to be completely integrated in the next update, but in the meantime there will be a standalone application

http://www.wpcentral.com/skype-definite ... dows-phone

see above

I am a developer, and use a mango device. I can easily say that in many ways it's miles ahead of the other devices. I've had iOS, android, BB, palm, and WP7 is the best IMO. it has a quick growing marketplace with 30k apps, (which happened in record time btw) and great devices. I would probably wait if you could, until mango launches as there are expected to be phones with front facing cameras. Mango should be out in the next month or so. I don't think you'd regret switching to wp7.

with the full integration of linkedin, facebook (including chat right in the messaging tile, so sms or facebook or msn all work in the same conversation, with mango), full ie9, not a crappy mobile browser, so pages load properly AND fast, it's simply the most efficient OS out there.

if you have any other questions, feel free to let me know!

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 am

I know most of this has been answered but...

The exchange client is awesome. If you are running Exchange 2003 I have heard not all the contact search/calendar features work correctly. I run 2010 so I cannot confirm.

Yes all that is supported and seems to work fine on mine. Although I don't use my gmail much..

Right now - no. The capability is there in Mango assuming carriers allow it.

Not sure but I know you can run the web version of Toodledo.
EDIT: Just found an app - photondo that looks good. Better than average reviews too.

VoIP for sure is coming in Tango (next update) but might see it before that.

Same as previous answer - Tango for sure. Not sure if before that.

Hope that helps.

codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 am

Ok thanks for all the answers people! I guess I will wait for the new devices then but things looking good.

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:37 am

codedivine wrote:
Ok thanks for all the answers people! I guess I will wait for the new devices then but things looking good.

All current devices will get Mango, Tango and Apollo updates. So if you need a phone right now you are covered. But if you can wait, you should see new phones within 45days or so. I personally am looking forward to the Samsung model I was teased with. It looks beautiful and if it's anything like the Focus I'm sure it won't disappoint.