TR BBQ ~VIII~ Official Thread

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: TR BBQ ~VIII~ Official Thread

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 am

z-man wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:They were just waiting for a year were the food was edible. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No one forced you to eat it. But obviously my talents were not appreciated.

He's intimidated by your bagtoss skills.

I liked your BBQ, and I'm even from Texas. :)
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.
eitje
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:21 am

eitje wrote:I liked your BBQ, and I'm even from Texas. :)

lol I'll take that as a compliment as I know how particular Texans can be about Q.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:20 am

Okay, if my typing sucks, sorry in advance; been using my droid since I'm not home and just saw the thread this morning.

Its shaping up to be a probably for me. Check the swap thread, I may have some decent stuff, as I have a rebuild planned for this week. Bring cash if any looks good, or PM me. I might consider trades too.

Drfish, congrats on the wedding, and glad nobody was hurt in the accident. Is there anything you still need brought?

I can bring a couple of stadium chairs, and can probably grab some brats. Maybe some Oberon or something else local, or some soda.
Core i7-4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK, 16GB (4x4) G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
2x XFX R9 280X Black in Crossfire, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 am

z-man wrote:
eitje wrote:I liked your BBQ, and I'm even from Texas. :)

lol I'll take that as a compliment as I know how particular Texans can be about Q.

You know your food is always the star of the show :)....I just have to deflate you now and then. We will miss you this year for sure; Stiffey too.

I think you guys have been to every one, like Gleek and Frobozz (I know I missed a year at least, maybe two)
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Dposcorp wrote:You know your food is always the star of the show :)....I just have to deflate you now and then.

I have no ego about my food I just want to know if people like it. The whole idea is to make people happy when they enjoy the food. Anything else is a dissapointment and makes me sad. :cry:

Dposcorp wrote:We will miss you this year for sure; Stiffey too.

I think you guys have been to every one, like Gleek and Frobozz (I know I missed a year at least, maybe two)

Stiffey was not at the first one, he came the following year and since. Gleek, Fro and myself are the only ones to have made it every year since the start. (That I know of, I could be missing someone and I am not entirely sure about gleek). But that first one was really small, so there could only be like 20 that could have ever been on that list. Most have missed a few or stopped because they had other better things to do. Yeah right! Like there are better things than geeking out with people you only know because you argue with them online while eating really good food and playing silly yard games. Bah! Some people just wouldn't know a fun time if it walked up and bit them.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:32 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote: Is there anything you still need brought?

I can bring a couple of stadium chairs, and can probably grab some brats. Maybe some Oberon or something else local, or some soda.

Brats and Oberon sound good. I made a list a page back or so. Just check the first post and fill in the blanks guys. :)
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 am

I thought Stiffie was at the first one - in my backyard - way back then...
Gleek missed one of the ones at Fish's - maybe the 2nd one if I recall.

Put us down for bringing a few bags of chips - if that's cool :D
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:I thought Stiffie was at the first one - in my backyard - way back then...

Nope the Chicagoans from the first one were Action Jim, Redeye(one one he came too), Hawkwing74, Starfalcon...and...HowardDrake. We all know about that last one. Action Jim convinced Stiffie to come the following year.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 pm

z-man wrote:
FroBozz_Inc wrote:I thought Stiffie was at the first one - in my backyard - way back then...

Nope the Chicagoans from the first one were Action Jim, Redeye(one one he came too), Hawkwing74, Starfalcon...and...HowardDrake. We all know about that last one. Action Jim convinced Stiffie to come the following year.

Z-man, anything we can do to help you make it? It sucks u wont be there; food or no food.
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:35 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:Put us down for bringing a few bags of chips - if that's cool :D

I did. It is. :)
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Dposcorp wrote:Z-man, anything we can do to help you make it? It sucks u wont be there; food or no food.

Thank you for asking but not really. Life is just in the way.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:26 pm

z-man wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:Z-man, anything we can do to help you make it? It sucks u wont be there; food or no food.

Thank you for asking but not really. Life is just in the way.

Well, i hope all is well with you; you will be missed. I'll try and bring u back some food and goodies :)
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Without getting all R&P, I HATE the TSA.

I have arrived in Holland, and I gotta tell ya, this weather feels like air conditioning coming from Texas.
Lake Michigan water temps are looking magnificent: http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/cwdata/lct/glsea.png

Whoo Hoo!
I have nothing more to say about that.
Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Is anyone interested in the hardware thread? It seems like less interest this year, so I may not be lugging as many parts of there isnt any interest. :)
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Dposcorp wrote:Is anyone interested in the hardware thread? It seems like less interest this year, so I may not be lugging as many parts of there isnt any interest. :)

I just did a major rebuild, so I have some decent stuff. However, I'd probably only trade for specific things as opposed to selling; something would need to catch my fancy, as I have way too much hardware as it is. :D

DrFish, I am planning on attending at this point, so if you can PM me too, that would be great.
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:59 pm

THE WATER IS AMAZING! Seriously, it's SO WARM.

My friend Aaron will be bringing a ton of hardware but he's not really looking to buy any.

I got the details on what AMD is donating - it's very generous and something most of use could put to use - but I'll let Damage post it on the front page once I get him a picture of all the loot.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:39 pm

I think I'll bring a few small things to give away; I won't be selling, just giving. :)
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.
eitje
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:11 am

My wife and I found someone to watch our daughter this year - so she's not going to be there this time.
This way we'll enjoy ourselves a bit more not having to worry about her and chase her around constantly.
Also I'll have more room in the car for swag to bring home from DPOSCORP and AMD and JBI, etc. - mohahahaha
Tonight my wife and I are practicing our beanbag technique (haven't played since last year's TRBBQ LOL).

Looking forward to tomorrow :D
Last edited by FroBozz_Inc on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:11 am

Hung out at the beach last night, Xylker stopped by since he was in town early. Water is quite a bit cooler so I hope it will warm up before tomorrow, we just need the right wind.

Since Damage & Inkling may be on the road already I decided to post the picture of what AMD so generously donated to our little shindig:

BEHOLD!

Two of them are spoken for already for reasons that will become clear later... For the rest I'm thinking 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place at Cornhole get one in addition to their trophy and maybe one for anyone traveling over 1,000 miles? Random drawing for the leftovers? Thoughts? These look like sweet HTPC or home server boards - maybe they can even play a little Minecraft - or host a small game server... ;) Here's the TR review BTW... I'm pretty excited about these - not everyone can use a fancy new processor or mobo - since you need to buy more new stuff to go with it - but I'll bet almost everyone has a place for one of these to fit in - just add some RAM and a PSU, slap an old HDD to it and forget about it in the closet... Very cool, could have used one for my photo booth...

BTW, speaking of the photo booth, there are a lot of sheets of paper left for it after the wedding reception so I'm leaving it out there for the BBQ - make sure you give it a try - its a lot of fun. :)
Last edited by drfish on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:13 am

SWEET!!! :o
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 am

drfish wrote:Image

Now I really do wish I could come. I've always wanted to see what the TR BBQ is like. But Michigan is quite a trip for me right now, and I don't have a passport.

Attendees do have my well wishes though!
MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:34 am

Nice pic Fishy........If I win one I may have to donate stuff that doesnt sell to someone else...I think everyone should with something. :)
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:38 am

Hope you all have fun on the shores of Lake Michigan. I'd love to be there, but TR BBQ always seems to conflict with a family/friends gathering in the Adirondacks that I've been attending for 20+ years. The Wife knows I want to get out to MI though, and now that the daughter is old & strong enough to help in making/breaking camp (this is a tent weekend in the ADKs) I may get permission one year to head out there on my own.

When I do come, I'll have practiced me some cornhole.

EDIT: Those look like really sweet HTPC or server boards.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:07 am

Uh, what's the address of the place where we're heading? I've missed it if it's in the thread here. Need it for nav!
Scott Wasson - "Damage"
Editor - The Tech Report
Damage
TR Staff
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 am

Damage wrote:Uh, what's the address of the place where we're heading? I've missed it if it's in the thread here. Need it for nav!

Forwarded Drfish's directions and added a google maps link

Post if u need anything else.
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:46 am

Damage, once you are on US 31 N, I suggest that you stay on it until you cross James street. You aren't allowed to make a left at the intersection, so continue across and then loop back South and make the right onto James street. Follow James street West until it ends. (~4.5 miles) Turn left and go South about 1/4 mile, you'll see the address and 3 names on the signs.

Don't take Lakewood Blvd, it is closed due to construction.
I have nothing more to say about that.
Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:58 am

Xylker wrote:Damage, once you are on US 31 N, I suggest that you stay on it until you cross James street. You aren't allowed to make a left at the intersection, so continue across and then loop back South and make the right onto James street. Follow James street West until it ends. (~4.5 miles) Turn left and go South about 1/4 mile, you'll see the address and 3 names on the signs.

Don't take Lakewood Blvd, it is closed due to construction.

Good tip......thanks.

Edit: Can you tell I am not getting much done at work? :)
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Thread is picking up! :)

I'm going to start the Livestream test again soon. Keep an eye out for it. Let me know how it works...

We need people to volunteer to bring [wet]napkins/plates/silverware as well as desert type items and veggies. Please speak up. :)

Water is warmer this morning than it was yesterday, hope its even warmer tomorrow.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:27 pm

W00t! That's sweet, Fish! Kudos to AMD! Maybe I should wear my ball cap I got from them in Detroit at the Athlon XP 2600+ (333FSB) unveiling. ;)

Can't wait to see you all there.
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Hmmm... The Livestream still says its lost it's Internet connection periodically... Can one of you guys tell me if it makes you watch an ad again every time that happens?

Also, this! :o
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch