Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Mctavish
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

ATSC PVR HTPC build

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:23 am

Hi everyone. I want a build a small HTPC to record ATSC over the air in HD. I have a Dvico USB gold tuner that I dont use much, it can record analog and digital (Which I need where I am in Canada) No gaming , no internet,no cable, just record like my Toshiba DVD recorder using an antenna only. I know there are HD PVRs coming out now but they either need a subscription, cable or cant record analog, etc. With my Dvico I dont really need a program, I just aim the remote and pick the channel and press record. I was thinking of itx using the Gigabyte MBGAE350NUSB3 board, perhaps a Blueray writer and cheap hardrive. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: ATSC PVR HTPC build

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:58 am

Mctavish wrote:
Hi everyone.
Welcome to the Tech Report!

Is your tuner supported by the operating system and HTPC software that you want to use, or have you selected software that supports your tuner?

You'll want an internet connection to allow the HTPC to get programming guide information.

You'll also want a 2.0 TB hard-drive like the WD20EARX or WD20EARS.

Would a BD-ROM / DVD-RW combination drive be sufficient?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Mctavish
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:00 am

Yes, the dvico will work with with XP, Vista. It comes with a basic channel and recording program. I dont even care if I get time shifting programming via the internet. I am in the country so I have to use wireless internet so steaming, Netflix, etc. is out of the question. Plus there is no internet connection to my system there anyways. ( I would have to run an ethernet cable from my bedroom PC to the entertainment system) All I have coming in is an antenna for my Samsung HDTV connected to my BlueRay player and Toshiba dvd recorder. Here in Canada we are just going digital OTA now but will still have some analog channels. ( Cant get cable and dont want satellite) I just tune the DVD recorder to the channel I want to record and start. In this case I would just use the Dvico remote to select the channel and start recording on the HTPC, just like the DVD recorder but it will be in HD. I already know what programs I want to record and what times they are on so I cant see using a programming guide anyway. ( I dont know though since I never used one, maybe i am missing a lot. I am a pretty basic guy.) I just wanted to make sure the GB 350 board will do what I want. Thanks.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:33 am

Windows Media Center is a decent HTPC/DVR suite. If you're using Windows Vista or 7, it's included. If you're going to use some 'nix variant, you'll want to check on driver availability before you select any hardware.

For your digital tuner recordings, there's not much processing load, so Zacate may have enough grunt to do what you need. Otherwise, you could consider Llano. I'm currently using a Phenom II with integrated Radeon HD4200 (785G chipset) graphics for my HTPC/DVR. I intend to replace it with a Llano-based box next month. If you have old PC hardware available, you might use it for the guts of your DVR. This could be an excuse to upgrade your older gaming PC. :)

McTavish wrote:
( I would have to run an ethernet cable from my bedroom PC to the entertainment system)
An in-home WiFi connection from your router or access point will be plenty fast enough for the periodic guide updates that your DVR requires.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2