Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Re: TR BBQ ~VIII~ Official Thread

Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Nom, nom, nom.

Put me down for paper products: napkins, plates, plasticware, etc.
I have nothing more to say about that.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 pm

"There's the BEEF" !! :D

mouth = watering

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Bamsauce!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 pm

mere words simply cannot describe how bummed I am right now.

I suck.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:39 pm

I missed the very first one, and then came to every one since then, until now.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:46 pm

I guess it was good I was not planning on coming as my car died today and is in the shop, they get to figure what is wrong with it tomorrow. :(

Hopefully it will not end up being something terribly expensive...

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:25 am

Starfalcon wrote:
I guess it was good I was not planning on coming as my car died today and is in the shop, they get to figure what is wrong with it tomorrow. :(

Hopefully it will not end up being something terribly expensive...

Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out for you.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:44 am

Just about to get on the road.........sorry about the car Starfalcon; you and idchafee will be missed of course.

It sucks because the Chicago crew was a big part of it for a while, and would show in force, running 4 -6 deep.

I'd bring a CRT, they'd bring a LCD.
I'd bring a dual core, they'd bring a quad core.

That's the Chicago way.

(yeah, my jokes suck worse then usual at 6:30am)

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Yeah well got the car fixed, the fuel pump gave up the ghost....nice and unexpected $900. :cry:

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Tourney is going... Watch at http://www.livestream.com/sheldomaus/

Sorry it keeps cutting out... :oops:

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:13 pm

feed is offline...

Inkling
TR Staff

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:16 pm

drfish wrote:
Tourney is going...

I'm out. Put in my place by Frobozz. :-(
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

Dposcorp

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Got home a hour ago......safe and sound......Had a blast............just a tease of some of the pics and vids:

Me and the living legend, Damage. :)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:17 pm

Just couldn't get it done this year, I'm mega bummed. I missed seeing everyone, even gleek to a certain extent. How often did he beg Damage to get unbanned?

DAMAGE & INKLING: you better be there next year!

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 am

I woke up yesterday morning and climbed the stairs out of my parent's basement. Upon reaching the the top and coming into the house I saw rain.

RAIN?!

It is going to rain on the TR BBQ ~VIII~? With all the dignitaries coming from their basement benchmark sweatshop, this could not be happening. Just think about the crushed spirits if the promise of a warm sunny beach was replaced by gloomy storm clouds and clammy weather, the Riviera replaced by Rochdale. Heavy-hearted because of the meteorological conditions, I set out across the landscape to meet my waterlogged friends.

When I arrived the ribs were on the grill and the people were there in great number. Chairs were arrayed across the broad lawn with the host's mother taking z-man's traditional place at the grill. The picnic tables laden with pop, water, beer and the promise of a feast to come. By 2 PM the tables had ribs, hot dogs, burgers, beans, corn-on-the-cob, several kinds of dessert and Sheldomaus who was more than pleased to be sitting within arm's reach of the entire feast. The sun started to win out over the clouds, but sporadically. Every time the sun shone down, the clouds regrouped and beat back the rays. I sat myself in a strategic location: not far from the food, and close to Lonewolf 15 and Inkling. It was kind of funny how Inkling made sure that Damage had a special table upon which to place his bountiful lunch... almost like he worked for the guy.

Conversation was brisk and the competitiveness of cornhole players began to emerge. I am saddened to report that I was thrashed in the first round before ever even scoring a point. Herr Sheldomaus took me out 21-0. However, that was not a terrible thing. During the lunch and competitive interlude the sun had marshalled its forces and burst through the cloud's defenses in magnificent fashion. Down to the beach I went.

Drfish's raft was calling, and there were real flesh and blood women in the water around it! The methods of getting on the raft and removing the lake water from it made me feel a bit like a breaching whale... Be glad that you missed those visuals. Basking in the sun and listening to the conversations was fun. Particularly the interactions between the lady who smacked Bob right upside the face. Tough girl, she. The lovely sister of drfish also lounged with us adrift on the raft. Fearing that my skin would take on the color of old school fire engines and cause me no end of pain I retreated to the top of the hill to speak with Shoe's wife who was watching their 18 month old frolic at the beach for the first time.

A quick visit to the picnic table and I noticed that the photo booth had been put to good use.
Damage and Gleek. Embracing! Smiling!
I looked up to see if there was a meteor hurtling at us. I looked down to see if I was about to be swallowed whole by the Earth. I am here, undamaged.

I cannot say so much for the beer bottles. While tossing the football around with Mr Robot from Muskegon I failed to catch an errant throw. We took out JBI's wife's Vanilla Porter, Gleek's spice beer and perhaps a couple others. We picked up the pieces and hopefully no one finds one we missed with bare feet...

About this time the tournament was over and the Brazos mini-ITX boards were awarded. As well as a SWEET Gfx card for the winner of the tournament. Pardon me while I hang my head in shame for not even scoring a point in the tourney. Totally outclassed.
I have nothing more to say about that.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 am

Epic post. :)

I will post more later but I have to say that this BBQ was just plain awesome! We really missed idchafee and z-man and the other more or less regulars but the addition of the fresh blood and our great leaders was something else... :wink:

Thanks to everyone the attended - you all contributed something to make it a great event. HUGE thanks to Damage and Inkling for a particularly significant contribution. :o AMD also gets a HUGE tank you for donating all those boards, make sure you guys all post what great things you do with them. :)

I can't wait for next year - I'll try to have an even larger raft - without holes in it this time...

Next post will have pics!
Last edited by drfish on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:58 am

Xylker wrote:
Pardon me while I hang my head in shame for not even scoring a point in the tourney. Totally outclassed.

Don't feel too bad. I only got three, and narrowly missed being shut out. Thanks again for the hat, btw.

It was great meeting all of you guys. JBI, you brought some excellent samples of your home-brewed handiwork, as did Gleek. I enjoyed talking with all of you, meeting Damage, Inkling, and other staff, horsetrading with Dpos (and Shoes, let me know how you're enjoying that new system when you have it up), losing badly at cornhole, and eating the absolutely awesome ribs that Drfish's mom prepared, and more.

A great time was had by all. Can't wait to see the group picture --and to do this again next year. I also hope I'll get to meet those of you who unfortunately couldn't make it this year.

P.S. Thanks also to AMD and TR for making some cool swag available. Another great contribution to a fun day.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:59 am

Best of the photo booth:
ImageImageImageImage

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Alright, I'm scared. If I'm not mistaken, those are pics of Gleek and Damage together. Smiling. Also, It rained in Oklahoma last night. I'm pretty sure that those are the first signs of the upcoming apocalypse.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Sheldomaus
Gerbil

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Yesterday was to say the least...one of my favorite times of this year. I loved meeting all the new people and having amazing conversations throughout the entire day. It's the little things that happen throughout the whole day that makes what this is awesome. You learn to enjoy those, and it just makes you feel so much better. Thanks again for Damage and Inkling coming out it was indeed a pleasure to see you guys along with the regs and the new people :) The bean-bag tourney was not what I expected it to be...where I managed to actually make it past the first round! Of course when I got my hopes up thinking I could make it with a second win. (and maybe possibly win one of the motherboards up for grabs) Shoes came around and beat me....I will have to get you back sometime. Thanks again for everything everybody...it was you guys that made the BBQ special and Thanks drfish for dealing with me whenever i may do something stupid. (Broken step on the stairs maybe) :P I look forward to when this happens again next year.

I feel like I can say more, but I just don't think I can put it in words.....

Point is I enjoyed the entire weekend at drfish's family cottage besides maybe Gleeks snoring.......
Mind my grammar as you will explode!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Yup, I enjoyed myself immensely. Kudos to drfish for hosting this event!

It just figures the first year I come, the *rest* of the Chicago crew bails... :roll:

Starfalcon, my Rubbermaid storage tub is still half-full of old motherboards... had takers for most of the other stuff I was giving away, but not the Socket A motherboards/CPUs. I'm guessing you would've taken 'em all if you'd been there! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Gonna be busy for a few days, and also want to see who else took what pics, so gonna be a while before I post more pics.
(I told Drfish I would get a couple of nice pics for him, and did get some, but since others were snapping, I switched over to video.)

Got a nice vid of the the group pic :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOUvixBjuW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDjAdBmv8Y0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWtHJlNyC3E

Of course, I aim my camera on its tripod in a hurry, so the only person cut off was me in that vid.
(I am all the way to the left, and my arm and third place trophy (plus AMD / Gigabyte) mother board get in the vid a bit, but I cut myself out of the picture and video, so hopefully Damage's camera caught me)

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 am

I've made it home safely.

My thanks yet again go out to mrsfish and drfish for hosting. :)

Best moment: Sitting around the beach campfire, BSing w/ everyone.
Worst moment: double leg cramps in the freezing water.
Most surreal moment: Damage cooking brats for us.
Most relaxing moment: just floating on a giant raft.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:44 am

Dposcorp wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDjAdBmv8Y0

"fueled by beer". hahaha!

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:53 am

drfish wrote:
AMD also gets a HUGE tank you for donating all those boards, make sure you guys all post what great things you do with them. :)

You obviously meant AMD there...

Also, I can't stress enough how excited I am to see so many people walk away w/ some mITX motherboards! As a low-power, low-noise enthusiast, I'm really stoked to see some threads in SFF Station spring up once people start putting those boards to good use.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:14 am

We gotta get Damage out of that hair and into something more comfortable.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:44 am

Cats and dogs living together .... mass hysteria!!

Was there a ritual hatchet burial?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 am

eitje wrote:
drfish wrote:
AMD also gets a HUGE tank you for donating all those boards, make sure you guys all post what great things you do with them. :)

You obviously meant AMD there...

I would have gone for red if I had been typing ATI but even though nVidia is officially the green team I guess I tend to think of AMD as green as well - what with their logo and all... :wink:

Regardless it was sweet to have such nice stuff to offer so many people. I was also awesome that almost everyone there got a TR shirt as well. Mrs.Fish and I will be wearing our matching shirts often. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

I didn't even notice (red-green colorblind). :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 am

Posted a short recap and group shot here:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21431

Planning to add more pictures and such later.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"