Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

uk1
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

A more robust network

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:28 am

First post!

I have a network of security IP cameras around my property and each is connected either directly to a Solwise Homeplug or several cameras connected together and indirectly via a ethernet network LAN hub that then goes into the homeplug. They're the latest Solwise plugs. I obviously have another homeplug at my router end and this enables me to view the output of my cameras whilst away from base when everything woks - and it also enables FTP for pictures where the image has been "disturbed".

On a pretty regular basis the remote homeplugs seem to disconnect and refuse to remarry. So the only camera left operating is the single camera connected directly to the broadband router. To save the obvious suggestion, I cannot physically connect the remote cameras to the router via a cable and fully recognise that this would be the most robust option. The problem is I think mains cable distance or inherrent homeplug instability as the camera is connected directly into the hub and the hub directly into the homeplug which is directly on a wall scocket.

So my question is what options do I have to make my network more robust and reliable? Can I connect the LAN hub and router via a pair of second homeplugs that have been married seperately ie providing two channels at the same time? Can I also try and connect the hub wirelessly to the router providing a second or third way in?

Any suggestions really appreciated.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: A more robust network

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:12 am

If they're physically close enough, you may be able to use a WiFi-based bridging solution of some sort.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

uk1
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:31 am

Many thanks.

It's fairly physically close.

How would I do that please?

And could I use it alongside and at the same time as the homeplugs so it's connected via two "technologies"?

Also - is there any technical reason why I couldn't connect each hub and/or camera and router to two sets of homeplugs paired differently?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 am

Possibly something like this.

Unfortunately, having dual redundant paths using different technologies is probably going to require more intelligence in the network devices than you're going to find in consumer-grade equipment.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

uk1
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Many thanks for the pointer.

So I just plug one of these into the hub and set it up with the router?